TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Has SBS got the rights to one game per week anymore or has Optus got the EPL exclusively?

Unfortunately, SBS only had a 3 year deal and failed to secure a new deal for this season. It’s exclusively on Optus.

Well done LNP, keep gutting public broadcasting funding and loosening anti-siphoning laws and this is what you get. It might not affect the state of football in this country right now, but give it a few years and it damn well will.

Aussie Rules is cherry ripe to be picked off in terms of participation considering the discontent many have for its current administration, but for mine this is the worst move possible in terms of promoting the sport. Optus is great for diehards, but how are they going to get new supporters of the game to watch? It's kids who have diehard football family and that's about it who will be new to the game.

Football will not progress in this country if every major competition is hidden behind pay per views. Why isn't Optus bringing a commercial broadcaster into the fold like Ch9/10 if SBS can't secure rights?

Anyways, it's my brothers Kayo account to watch Napoli in Serie A this season for me with Talksport on Macquarie Sports Radio. Might be lucky and get scraps from the Optus YouTube channel come CL/EL matchdays.

RIP SBS, I hope Les ain't rolling in his grave.

Well done LNP, keep gutting public broadcasting funding and loosening anti-siphoning laws and this is what you get. It might not affect the state of football in this country right now, but give it a few years and it damn well will.

Aussie Rules is cherry ripe to be picked off in terms of participation considering the discontent many have for its current administration, but for mine this is the worst move possible in terms of promoting the sport. Optus is great for diehards, but how are they going to get new supporters of the game to watch? It's kids who have diehard football family and that's about it who will be new to the game.

Football will not progress in this country if every major competition is hidden behind pay per views. Why isn't Optus bringing a commercial broadcaster into the fold like Ch9/10 if SBS can't secure rights?

Anyways, it's my brothers Kayo account to watch Napoli in Serie A this season for me with Talksport on Macquarie Sports Radio. Might be lucky and get scraps from the Optus YouTube channel come CL/EL matchdays.

RIP SBS, I hope Les ain't rolling in his grave.

I've long said that the latent interest in English football is the sport's biggest weapon in this country. But the casual viewer of the sport won't be watching if it isn't available through a mainstream platform, whether that be Foxtel or SBS. The knock-on effect of no English Premier League on Australian TV is dreadful for the sport at large - it's already had a noticeable effect on football's visability and discussions since Optus Sport took the rights in 2016. Now that there's not even an SBS game, casual fans will gravitate even more towards the NBA and NFL in the AFL/NRL off-season.

Optus Sport simply don't want to bring a commercial broadcaster onboard - it dilutes the value of their rights and their strategy, which is to entice people to switch their phone and internet contracts.

I don't feel at all sorry for SBS, though. They've increased advertising revenue and focused on the Premier League and UEFA Champions League at the expense of the local game, which greatly affects football's development. Now they have only the Champions League in their stable and will focus more on Australian basketball.

Yes, Les would be rolling in his grave - they've pissed on his legacy.

I've long said that the latent interest in English football is the sport's biggest weapon in this country. But the casual viewer of the sport won't be watching if it isn't available through a mainstream platform, whether that be Foxtel or SBS. The knock-on effect of no English Premier League on Australian TV is dreadful for the sport at large - it's already had a noticeable effect on football's visability and discussions since Optus Sport took the rights in 2016. Now that there's not even an SBS game, casual fans will gravitate even more towards the NBA and NFL in the AFL/NRL off-season.

Optus Sport simply don't want to bring a commercial broadcaster onboard - it dilutes the value of their rights and their strategy, which is to entice people to switch their phone and internet contracts.

I don't feel at all sorry for SBS, though. They've increased advertising revenue and focused on the Premier League and UEFA Champions League at the expense of the local game, which greatly affects football's development. Now they have only the Champions League in their stable and will focus more on Australian basketball.

Yes, Les would be rolling in his grave - they've pi**ed on his legacy.
When did SBS get CL rights back?

Thought they completely lost them last year and is only 1 year down of a 3 year contract for Optus in regards to international UEFA/FIFA competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all accounts, Optus's coverage is better than what Fox served up. Accessing the Premier League was oh so easy when Fox had the rights. Unfortunately, Fox won't get the rights back while Steve Crawley is head of sport.

Much better, and pretty easy to access.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back