TV Rights

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Fwoy what's happened to the post game discussions and/or press conferences? Telecast cuts off quickly after final whistke these days.

No idea. I was watching the main channel feed which moved onto the City/Chelsea game in quick time. Isnt there a show at the end of the days play that has interviews and stuff? Match day Review or something like that?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Optus s**t all over Foxtel with their product. We are so lucky to have such great access.
To be fair Foxtel and Optus products kind of crossed over of that point of lots of people having access to the NBN and making it a worthwhile way to get sport delivered to you.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Optus s**t all over Foxtel with their product. We are so lucky to have such great access.

been fantastic since day 1. Having said that, I’d been streaming for several years before the Optus deal, so my set-up was tailored to this, and easily embraced.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
been fantastic since day 1. Having said that, I’d been streaming for several years before the Optus deal, so my set-up was tailored to this, and easily embraced.

I've had a very different experience. Season one was plagued by problems. Next seasons were better but dependent on my ADSL 2+ connection which is less than ideal.

I get NBN mid next year, hopefully that resolves most issues. But personally would rather watch games through Foxtel IQ4 box instead of relying on an internet stream. Would even be happy to pay a premium for Optus Sport to be delivered via IQ4.

What about the Saturday review show

Huh?

This?
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.16.28 pm.png

Is the old highlights show just part of that Sunday show?

There used to be the weekend review and Saturday review 50 min show produced by the PL

Weekend Warm Up and Sunday Highlights Show are still on there too.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I've had a very different experience. Season one was plagued by problems. Next seasons were better but dependent on my ADSL 2+ connection which is less than ideal.

I get NBN mid next year, hopefully that resolves most issues. But personally would rather watch games through Foxtel IQ4 box instead of relying on an internet stream. Would even be happy to pay a premium for Optus Sport to be delivered via IQ4.

A few things I did differently (as I can’t get Foxtel via cable or satellite where I live), and using adsl2+ which sits at around 11-12mbps. I use TPG and have done since around 2001.

I replaced the generic modem provided by the ISP - they are always cheap s**t. At the time, this was the best on the market - now discontinued

414_main_image.png

Then I set my house up with mesh coverage using this:

4038590-2-_6HeroSquare-5c8fbbacc9e77c0001ff0b09.jpg

I also had already used Fetch (remember, no access to Decent Foxtel), and heavily used an Apple TV4K. At the time, Fetch access was exclusive to Optus, so I added one to my phone account...not an easy task, but I got it done. As soon as it was opened to retail Fetch boxes, I went back to using my own box and sent the Optus one back...effectively making my account free. I never bothered with the web app, where the bulk of issues seemed to be.

I will be changing to NBN mid December. I plan on keeping up using the Orbi mesh system, and with luck, will be as smooth as ever (touch wood).

Counter argument would be that if it were made much more affordable that you make your money via volume of consumption as opposed to price, then less people will go to games and attendances would suffer.

If it were to make the PL significantly more money though that'd be money that could be funnelled into grassroots football and lower tier leagues in the pyramid.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
So according to this article, Optus Sport has 700k active subs. If you factor in Foxtel total subs = approx 2.9 million, then Optus has gained 1/4 of their subscriber count...

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I have Optus Sport since day 1. Love their on demand section where you can watch a 30min condensed replay of their content
The 30min condensed replay is something the AFL needs to seriously do for all 9 games for fox footy channel

Back