TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxtel looked silly losing CL to Optus but Optus losing rights to a no mark start up streaming service is something else. Optus should not have been outbid by such a company.

Maybe this will be the precursor to Optus going into production and taking on the A League in partnership with a FTA channel.

20 Mil for ufea cl is probably too much for most streamers. They would need to pick up a fair Chunk more for me to consider the purchase. Also the quality of there streams of the abl was apparently s**t, with the owner of the Sydney side complaining.

Can't see aleague doing a blind bid, ownership knows they need a strong partner to revitalise the league.

I deleted that post because I somehow read that paragraph wrong Lol.

I guess one who pays over $90 a month for Optus internet and phone can look at it as they are getting Optus Sport thrown in for no additional cost, so a $100/year spend for this service isn’t the end of the world but it still sucks.

I would only get it if Leeds ever made the Champions League again (which does seem to be the plan of the club's chairman and board within 3 years) but until then forget it.

Going by the article there are 3 more soccer comps to be announced. Are we thinking your relatively minor leagues like your nz soccer league.

Massive blow to us with Optus missing out on CL, that is completely s**t tbh.

But hey they got this...

Optus has picked up the rights to the women Euros in 2023

Suggestions now it was $60m for 3 years

Can't really see either being worth it. Would have to get a lot more that ucl/Europa for the number of subscribers and sponsors to add up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t comprehend the financials behind this. Optus had around 850,000 subscribers 6 months ago I think. That includes most (or all?) Optus post paid mobile and internet customers being given a free subscription. They also have the premier league, champions league, Europa league and internationals.

Kayo had around 650,000 subscribers at the end of the year, with 600,000 actually being paid. That gets access to essentially everything foxtel sports channels have live and on demand, plus some other extras.

These guys basically have the leftover sports broadcasters here don’t want, and now the champions league for $20 million a year. I just don’t see how they make this work.

I can’t comprehend the financials behind this. Optus had around 850,000 subscribers 6 months ago I think. That includes most (or all?) Optus post paid mobile and internet customers being given a free subscription. They also have the premier league, champions league, Europa league and internationals.

Kayo had around 650,000 subscribers at the end of the year, with 600,000 actually being paid. That gets access to essentially everything foxtel sports channels have live and on demand, plus some other extras.

These guys basically have the leftover sports broadcasters here don’t want, and now the champions league for $20 million a year. I just don’t see how they make this work.
I believe the 850k are active accounts, so wouldn't be everyone who has access to it. I would be curious as the break down of subscribers between perks subscribers and paid.

I believe the 850k are active accounts, so wouldn't be everyone who has access to it. I would be curious as the break down of subscribers between perks subscribers and paid.
You’re right that it’s active accounts, and it would be interesting to see the breakdown of how many are actually paying. At least Optus are able to get paid subscribers as well as use the rights as a tool to increase their core business.

If a company the size of Optus, with the existing platform and added benefits are getting outbid by a virtual start up, something just doesn’t add up.

You’re right that it’s active accounts, and it would be interesting to see the breakdown of how many are actually paying. At least Optus are able to get paid subscribers as well as use the rights as a tool to increase their core business.

If a company the size of Optus, with the existing platform and added benefits are getting outbid by a virtual start up, something just doesn’t add up.
I guess they are trying to build something.But would need a lot more premium content (I don't think any of the big 6 rights are up soon), in more favourable time zone to recruit. If you can outbid optus and fox, and potentially your sbs and stans, its a lot more money then alot of analysts would think it's worth, even with your major teams.

At least i probably wouldn't have been watching the CL next season. The way this season is going they may as well take the Europa League as well

I vaguely recall seeing Australian Baseball games somewhere in the Foxtel guide. Maybe they will onsell some to Foxtel/Kayo

At least i probably wouldn't have been watching the CL next season. The way this season is going they may as well take the Europa League as well

I vaguely recall seeing Australian Baseball games somewhere in the Foxtel guide. Maybe they will onsell some to Foxtel/Kayo
Wait its just UCL?

Yeah abl was on kayo, and was also streamed on fb. It may have just been a deal with the Sydney side, but don't think the broadcast was of top quality and may have been torn up part way through the season.

Not that I've ever watched it, but the ABL is on Kayo

I guess they are trying to build something.But would need a lot more premium content (I don't think any of the big 6 rights are up soon), in more favourable time zone to recruit. If you can outbid optus and fox, and potentially your sbs and stans, its a lot more money then alot of analysts would think it's worth, even with your major teams.
And even if they can secure more premium content that just drives up their overall costs, without realistically being able to increase the price of a subscription.

I’d almost guarantee everyone you listed, and probably more, made a bid. There is the world feed for the actual games so the only production required is a pre/post match show at most. It all just makes the number even more ridiculous if true.

The only thing I can think of is they are overspending on securing rights with the aim to selling the company with broadcast rights included to a fox/optus/Nine. I’m not even sure the rights transfer over in that case though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back