TV Rights

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Not really enough to justify the $25 a month (for me anyway). I struggle enough to utilise the other subscriptions, Netflix, amazon prime etc. If I came across a decent deal for it that would change things.

I just got Stan for CL between 3 family members ($24 / month, $8 ea). But you are right, the amount of subs required these days is out of control.

Ive found Prime to be pretty rubbish apart from Grand Tour / Top Gear personally. I just got rid of it.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I still use Kayo for the occasional game of ours that's televised, but does feel a bit excessive. Hope they offer a summer discount. AFLW/Big Bash might be worth it in a few months.

I'm happy generally with the FTA coverage of Big Bash. Personally haven't gotten into AFLW yet as a casual follower of AFL myself. Am starting to get into W League though.

I'm happy generally with the FTA coverage of Big Bash. Personally haven't gotten into AFLW yet as a casual follower of AFL myself. Am starting to get into W League though.

Yeah I don't mind it as something to watch/follow over the summer months if I've got nothing else to do, but yeah Kayo is a bit steep to be paying full price now that they've lost A-League.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why is that I can't record live games on Optus Sport 3?

Sometimes when I record an EPL game, the picture is perfect and then turns to s**t near half time. Why is that?

Sometimes when I record an EPL game, the picture is perfect and then turns to sh*t near half time. Why is that?
You can't just watch on demand?

There's that but recording things when I have the option is a habit.

But the game is available in full to replay almost as soon as it finishes, in perfect picture quality. I don't think I've recorded anything since about 2009.

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes when I record an EPL game, the picture is perfect and then turns to sh*t near half time. Why is that?

Only Optus Sport 1 and 2 are available to record. Optus Sport 3-6 are virtual channels channels only but you can watch it on-demand as well as mini-matches.

Was watching the Leeds/Liverpool game on my mini optus box and the picture quality went to crap every 5 minutes, never did that before. Had to change channels and go back to the game to get it back to 1080p.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Optus pretty much have to win it dont they? Otherwise Optus Sport becomes kinda irrelevant.
They paid $50m three years ago but article says expect $80m or more this time. They lost the CL and as article says hard to compete against the the two huge American companies

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
They paid $50m three years ago but article says expect $80m or more this time. They lost the CL and as article says hard to compete against the the two huge American companies

Difference is the other 2 American companies have plenty of other content. EPL is pretty much Optus Sport so they'll probably have to overpay to keep the rights otherwise all the money invested in Optus Sports will end up being a waste.

Personally I'd like to see less different broadcasters and wouldn't mind if Paramount picked up the rights with them also having A-League. Makes sense to bundle competitions together.

Difference is the other 2 American companies have plenty of other content. EPL is pretty much Optus Sport so they'll probably have to overpay to keep the rights otherwise all the money invested in Optus Sports will end up being a waste.

Personally I'd like to see less different broadcasters and wouldn't mind if Paramount picked up the rights with them also having A-League. Makes sense to bundle competitions together.

Yeah would be great for Paramount to get it and potentially try to get Championship rights too, so I could ditch Kayo during the summer.

The benefit to Paramount could be fta access to a game a week possibly. The benefit to Optus retains rights is I get it free with my phone…

That's definitely a good upside. Was nice back in the day when SBS showed the early game.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
From my viewpoint is much more convenient and easier if Optus retain it as I’m an existing mobile customer etc. As has been mentioned many times, getting a bit difficult and pricey with the multiple subscriptions for streaming now. I get the sense that one day soon someone like Amazon will land the rights. Maybe next up even.

Back