TV Rights

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I think all streaming options are looking at pretty substantial increases long term. They offered such a low price to generate market share, but long term it’s just not sustainable. Especially as the cost of the rights to historical shows go up, along with most producing their own content. We’ve been absolutely spoiled for streaming music and tv in terms of price so far, but long term it can only go up.

It looks like Optus have paid more for a product that they already weren’t making money on, and are now having to pass the cost on. It’s up to consumers if they’re happy to pay it or not.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t know. My Fetch is retail
Can I ask those with Fetch retail boxes. Do you also get the Optus sport tv channels?

I find EPL games streams much better via tv channels than on the optus sport app.

Reason why I am asking is I'm considering canceling my Optus Fetch and just buying a retail one.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Can I ask those with Fetch retail boxes. Do you also get the Optus sport tv channels?

I find EPL games streams much better via tv channels than on the optus sport app.

Reason why I am asking is I'm considering canceling my Optus Fetch and just buying a retail one.
Yes. Just log in to the app and the channels will appear

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Retail one?

I think though it's what people deem a priority too.

Complain about an increase to a subscription, but still spend $5 on coffee a day, or buy your lunch every day.

I assume many of us are in the position where we can afford this increase. It doesn't mean it's right, but for a company not to have increased its prices in 6 years, I think that's not bad really in comparison.
It's not being able to afford it as much as it is a ridiculous increase when they have lost a significant chunk of their content.

It's not being able to afford it as much as it is a ridiculous increase when they have lost a significant chunk of their content.

Yep, lose content, overpay on current content, charge consumers more.

I'm curious as to why it's not sustainable?

Because bidders will go big in order to secure the rights and end up overpaying, as Optus has done. In turn that means charging the customer more, which they've done. Which will mean people unsubscribe and Optus lose money on the deal meaning they're less likely to bid anywhere close as much next time.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Because bidders will go big in order to secure the rights and end up overpaying, as Optus has done. In turn that means charging the customer more, which they've done. Which will mean people unsubscribe and Optus lose money on the deal meaning they're less likely to bid anywhere close as much next time.
Oh sorry, not sustainable to the rights holders. Yes, agree.

Thought you meant it wasn't sustainable to the PL.

Back