TV Series You're Watching

Loved BSG, but can't stand this one :(

Too many characters, not enough depth, trying to establish too many things ... And stealing storylines from BSG. Bummer from my point of view.

Finished it last night - came together fairly well after the first few episodes once it became obvious which characters were the ones going to be popping up regularly while which were transient, along with setting up the continued storyline.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finished it last night - came together fairly well after the first few episodes once it became obvious which characters were the ones going to be popping up regularly while which were transient, along with setting up the continued storyline.

Yeah Lix has stuck with it and loves it - I think I'm just less forgiving in a show's first few eps.

Yeah Lix has stuck with it and loves it - I think I'm just less forgiving in a show's first few eps.

The first two episodes really underwhelmed and I was wondering what I was getting into.

Old Den

Premiership Player
Dec 18, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I noticed Foyle's War over the years but,like The Sopranos,had a bit of a look but didn't get into it until recent repeats.

I like Foyle as a big brain detective - I used to go to the Brisbane Show (Ekka) as a teenager an drool over the MG's and Jaguars so I enjoyed the English cars of the 30's and 40's that were used in the series - Vintage car buffs...google Foyle's War cars.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Over the last couple of days I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix. It's pretty good and something to watch as a bit of a warm-up to the NFL season. Here's a review: http://thefederalist.com/2016/08/29/netflix-series-watching-last-chance-u/

Also makes you wonder what it is that makes a good coach, seeing as the actual, real-life successful head coach comes across pretty much all the time as an unhinged idiot. Surely the victim of some selective editing.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Also makes you wonder what it is that makes a good coach, seeing as the actual, real-life successful head coach comes across pretty much all the time as an unhinged idiot. Surely the victim of some selective editing.

A good ole southern football coach I guess. The rules around what makes a good coach are a bit different in that sport and country I think.
The academic advisor was pretty cool I think. Tougher gig than the Lamberts but does the same sort of job.

A good ole southern football coach I guess. The rules around what makes a good coach are a bit different in that sport and country I think.
The academic advisor was pretty cool I think. Tougher gig than the Lamberts but does the same sort of job.

She was basically Connie Britton in Friday Night Lights. If it wasn't a documentary the writers would be accused of plagiarism.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I only watched the first episode of Stranger Things and thought it was complete rubbish. Extremely bland and generic. Was very disappointed given it was compared to Twin Peaks.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I only watched the first episode of Stranger Things and thought it was complete rubbish. Extremely bland and generic.

Really? Felt very fresh and retro at the same time to me. It's an outstanding 80s period sci-fi/horror show.

[/quote]Was very disappointed given it was compared to Twin Peaks.[/QUOTE]

Poor comparison IMO. Goonies meets ET meets Stephen King would be my comparison.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really? Felt very fresh and retro at the same time to me. It's an outstanding 80s period sci-fi/horror show.
Was very disappointed given it was compared to Twin Peaks.[/QUOTE]

Poor comparison IMO. Goonies meets ET meets Stephen King would be my comparison.[/QUOTE]

Is fresh and retro an oxymoron?

I didn't find it all the gripping. Or scary. Or interesting.

The Killing I liked which was a bit of a ripoff of Twin Peaks.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
What are some good docos on netflix? Watched the one on pro gaming last night, was pretty good.

Watched 'Fear of 13' last night and thought it was really good. The recommendation I got was to not try and find out anything about it beforehand but just watch it and I think this was good advice. I found the way the story unfolds to be really compelling.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Twin Peaks??? Don't think so. Killing is a ripoff offspring of the Danish TV series Forbrydelsen (The Crime)

Innocent school girl goes missing, secret societies, prostitution, rebellious boyfriend, etc.

There was a lot of similarities

Back