TV Series You're Watching

Remove this Banner Ad

It's awesome but it's now 15 years old and I'm ignoring the seizure inducing animation.

It's timeless and even though it's improvised, I find it quite hilarious.

I agree with Ironmonger regarding Bob's Burgers - the writing is its weak point.

Great voice actors (pretty much the Dr Katz crew), but the stories just don't keep me watching. I really wanted to like it.

It's timeless and even though it's improvised, I find it quite hilarious.

I agree with Ironmonger regarding Bob's Burgers - the writing is its weak point.

Great voice actors (pretty much the Dr Katz crew), but the stories just don't keep me watching. I really wanted to like it.

I'm of the opposite and I find a lot of character driven stories in Bob and that's what got me hooked long ago. How many episodes did you guys watch before you tapped out?

Rick and Morty has the combination of absurdity and high concept that has me elevating it pretty high now, but the third season will have to come and not disappoint... Its s**t posting group is a ******* cesspit of people who only see its top layer. Harmon and Roiland are struggling to finish the 3rd season though because they've been over thinking it. I'm going to chuck Metalocalypse into my top 5 though.

You always had patrician taste.

edit: however, in the interest of conversation

Day of the Tentacle>>>>>>Monkey Island
That's a bridge too far, my friend. DOTT is quality though.

Rick and Morty has the combination of absurdity and high concept that has me elevating it pretty high now, but the third season will have to come and not disappoint... Its s**t posting group is a ******* cesspit of people who only see its top layer. Harmon and Roiland are struggling to finish the 3rd season though because they've been over thinking it. I'm going to chuck Metalocalypse into my top 5 though.

That's a worry. Good comedy is simple. Like Seinfeld.

I disagree, for me it's able achieve that balance of sentimentality and humour of the best animated sitcoms and is still able to deliver the big belly laughs. I will admit it doesn't have the consistency of KotH or Simpsons Classic but its best is still sublime and its worst highly watchable. The characters are all fully formed and so much of the comedy generated purely from them and their relation to the plot. And it can do homage almost as good as the Simpsons, O.T. being the best example. They seem to go for musical episodes a little more than I'd like but I still stand by my initial contention that it's the best sitcom since KotH. What else has been better?

Out of interest why do you think the writing is so-so?

I should say that I enjoy watching it, and have watched a lot of it, but I just wouldn't elevate it above a lot of other great animated shows.

It's a bit of a personal thing, but none of the written jokes stick with me the way they do from some other shows, I don't find myself wanting to remember them or repeat them the way I do with really great comedy.

And this post struck me:

I like it but Adventure Time, Bojack Horseman and Futurama would be ahead of it for me.

I've watched maybe 40 minutes of Adventure Time total, but Bojack Horseman and Futurama had truly great episodes that really hit home and I expect I'll always remember - Bobs Burgers has never had anything close to Jurassic Bark.

But that's fine. The voice acting really is great, and it carries the show.

It's awesome but it's now 15 years old and I'm ignoring the seizure inducing animation.

Dr Katz was a bit of a cheat. Essentially it was a framework for standup comedians to deliver a few minutes of their best material. Nothing wrong with that, and they had some amazing comics (Louis CK, Ray Romano at his best, Emo Phillips) but it doesn't belong in the conversation IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually South Park is the best animated show. Has ran a bit too long though.

I've been watching a few first episodes without really much more. Underground, The Blacklist, a few more.

Really enjoying Atlanta.

Designated Survivor is back this week, so that should be good :thumbsu:

I've been watching a few first episodes without really much more. Underground, The Blacklist, a few more.

Really enjoying Atlanta.

Designated Survivor is back this week, so that should be good :thumbsu:

Watched 2 episodes of designated survivor and thought it was very ordinary. Must have picked up after that.

Watched 2 episodes of designated survivor and thought it was very ordinary. Must have picked up after that.
Yeah same I only got 2 episodes in. I think the premise of the show is targeted a lot more to Americans... we change leaders every second Tuesday so it's feels like meh big deal, some random is in charge now

Only just heard about and just started watching Shameless on Netflix. Its a classic and you can certainly see where it gets its name from.
For those of you who have watched it is it worth continuing with or does it fizzle out.

I've only watched the US Shameless, so ignore me if you're watching the UK one.

I think it stays pretty consistent. I doubt you'll be disappointed if you enjoyed the first few episodes.

UK one was brilliant. Could fill a very good story into the hour time slot and leave you wanting more without relying on cliffhangers. Could also manage to tell some pretty dark stories in a way that wouldn't depress the viewer.

UK one was brilliant. Could fill a very good story into the hour time slot and leave you wanting more without relying on cliffhangers. Could also manage to tell some pretty dark stories in a way that wouldn't depress the viewer.
Is it the same actors in both.
Or are they 2 completely different shows.

Is it the same actors in both.
Or are they 2 completely different shows.

Completely different actors. The British is very British just as the American series is meant to be very American. The characters and relationships are very similar at the start of both of the shows and the overall premise. The British one ran for 14 seasons I think though and had a high turnover of actors.

Completely different actors. The British is very British just as the American series is meant to be very American. The characters and relationships are very similar at the start of both of the shows and the overall premise. The British one ran for 14 seasons I think though and had a high turnover of actors.
I must be watching the American one then.
Thanks

If you didn't like the first 2 then you wouldn't like the rest. The story gets a touch ridiculous with all of the twists, but the main character is engaging and i like the premise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back