TV Series You're Watching

Remove this Banner Ad

I was considering that next, glad to hear any non-spoilery review you have

Set in the 70's at the dawn of criminal psychology with 2 FBI agents who travel around speaking to serial killers to help them understand how criminals think and apply it to their own work.

Really well made.

Set in the 70's at the dawn of criminal psychology with 2 FBI agents who travel around speaking to serial killers to help them understand how criminals think and apply it to their own work.

Really well made.
Just finished season 1, a sick day well spent. Absolutely incredible, told dad about it and copped a scorning from mum this evening. Apparently he hasn't gotten off this couch all day either!

Anyone watching Star Trek Discovery? Very much enjoying it and it is nice to have a weekly date with Trek, my wife and now my youngest daughter. Last night's episode was the best yet and most of the characters are evolving nicely. Suffers from the prequel problem and will be interesting to see if they tie up some of the many loose strings they have left around.
Absolute garbage. IMO the worst of all Star Trek series. They clearly forgot Star Trek is about relationships and current social issues as futuristic CGI technology s**t. None of it so far is engaging or impressively written. All it is Hollywood CGI technology showcase. Avery disappointing re-booting of an iconic series.

Absolute garbage. IMO the worst of all Star Trek series. They clearly forgot Star Trek is about relationships and current social issues as futuristic CGI technology s**t. None of it so far is engaging or impressively written. All it is Hollywood CGI technology showcase. Avery disappointing re-booting of an iconic series.

Not saying it'll appease Trekkies (never been a great fan myself), but I've been enjoying Seth McFarlane's The Orville. Not as jokey as I was expecting (certainly nowhere near Family Guy), but I find it an interesting watch.

Really enjoying The Sinner on Netflix at the moment
I actually read an article yesterday suggesting that if you can get through the first episode it is really quite a good show.
But the first episode is very gruesome and many havent been able to watch it.
Is it really that bad?

I actually read an article yesterday suggesting that if you can get through the first episode it is really quite a good show.
But the first episode is very gruesome and many havent been able to watch it.
Is it really that bad?
I didn't think so, for example I thought the scenes in Geralds Game and 13 reasons why were far worse and harder to watch.

Not saying it'll appease Trekkies (never been a great fan myself), but I've been enjoying Seth McFarlane's The Orville. Not as jokey as I was expecting (certainly nowhere near Family Guy), but I find it an interesting watch.

Yeah I was expecting more humour from Seth but it sort of falls flat a lot of the time. It has some moments of Seth brilliance but mostly it’s fluff. Pity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the advantage of the serialised approach is that they can take their time with relationships and current social issues. I am still enjoying it (haven't seen the latest episode yet) and I agree it has problems, but "absolute garbage", no I don't think so. I am engaged, as are many of my friends who lived on Next Gen in the 90s. I'm curious Irel, are you a TOS fan primarily?

I think the advantage of the serialised approach is that they can take their time with relationships and current social issues. I am still enjoying it (haven't seen the latest episode yet) and I agree it has problems, but "absolute garbage", no I don't think so. I am engaged, as are many of my friends who lived on Next Gen in the 90s. I'm curious Irel, are you a TOS fan primarily?
I enjoyed TOS and all the other re-incarnations but mostly I am a fan of quality sci-fi that has social relevance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoyed TOS and all the other re-incarnations but mostly I am a fan of quality sci-fi that has social relevance.
Have you watched The Expanse? Sounds up your alley.

No. Worth watching?
It's not bad. I was skeptical on it as a sci-fi given that it's technically part of the Xmen franchise (in my mind, I separate superhero shows from sci-fi shows), but to be honest, apart from casual mentions of their existence, there's been zero crossover. Not a super-deep sci-fi, but definitely passable.

A few episodes in to Ken Burns's "The Vietnam War". Absolutely exceptional documentary making. The level of depth and insight is remarkable from multiple perspectives including the North Vietnamese. There is so much we just don't understand about that war, partly because the way is was reported in the West at the time was propaganda on a grand scale, and partly because public sentiment turned so harshly towards the war and anyone involved in it at the end that soldiers never felt comfortable telling their stories in a way that the much more lauded soldiers of WW2 were able to.

What a heartwrenchingly stupid, futile and unnecessary conflict, rotten to the core with colonialism, empire, dishonesty and dirty politics. Terrifyingly relevant today with increased tension between the US and North Korea with two absolutely insane megalomaniacs at the helm.

Can't recommend the series enough. Up there with Burns's "Civil War" series which I don't say lightly as that was absolute landmark television.

Last edited:
My two suggestions of things to try watching this week ended up being big winners for me but the missus didn't find them as enjoyable so I will have to finish them on my own. Although I let her watch Dynasty with me in the room I won't inflict any more of Mindhunter or Big Mouth on her.

Really enjoying The Sinner on Netflix at the moment
Beautiful rainy day here on the Scenic Rim, perfect for sitting back watching Netflix with an occasional scroll through BF between episodes. I have watched the first 5 episodes of The Sinner on your recommendation, really enjoying it.

Also loved the first season of Mindhunter.

Beautiful rainy day here on the Scenic Rim, perfect for sitting back watching Netflix with an occasional scroll through BF between episodes. I have watched the first 5 episodes of The Sinner on your recommendation, really enjoying it.

Also loved the first season of Mindhunter.
Sucks you right in, doesn't it?

Dark is very good on Netflix. Just make sure you put the audio to German and subtitles on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back