TV Series You're Watching

Remove this Banner Ad

A few episodes in to Ken Burns's "The Vietnam War". Absolutely exceptional documentary making. The level of depth and insight is remarkable from multiple perspectives including the North Vietnamese. There is so much we just don't understand about that war, partly because the way is was reported in the West at the time was propaganda on a grand scale, and partly because public sentiment turned so harshly towards the war and anyone involved in it at the end that soldiers never felt comfortable telling their stories in a way that the much more lauded soldiers of WW2 were able to.

What a heartwrenchingly stupid, futile and unnecessary conflict, rotten to the core with colonialism, empire, dishonesty and dirty politics. Terrifyingly relevant today with increased tension between the US and North Korea with two absolutely insane megalomaniacs at the helm.

Can't recommend the series enough. Up there with Burns's "Civil War" series which I don't say lightly as that was absolute landmark television.

Starts on SBS tonight.

Presumably on SBS on demand after that. Great content but it's a shame that service is so bad.

Outlander season 3 which is magnificent and powerful. My favourite show (next to GOT).
Legion which is expertly made.
Lucifer which is great fun and quite funny.

Want to start season 2 of the Crown soon. The first season was marvellous.

I think a lot of Outlander makes Clare seem like such a whiny fool when in the books (I haven't read them but my wife has) she's such a tough and together woman. I also find the 20 min sex scenes pretty repetitive and pointless ... clearly aimed at a particular market.

Love 'Good Behavior' - got a Stan sub recently to watch a few movies that aren't on Netflix and there are a number of shows worth checking out - this one being one of them.

Recently watched Mindhunter and The Sinner (both series 1).

Mindhunter was really solid after a bit of a slow burn; with The Sinner being a one season deal as the whole story is completed in the one series.

Both well worth a watch :thumbsu:

Recently watched Mindhunter and The Sinner (both series 1).

Mindhunter was really solid after a bit of a slow burn; with The Sinner being a one season deal as the whole story is completed in the one series.

Both well worth a watch :thumbsu:
Both great shows - likewise recommend. There was a loose end in the sinner which still bugs me but otherwise really enjoyable

Interested. Flick me a message
It's petty but my frustration stemmed from how Cora and Phoebe's parents said Phoebe died months after Cora ran away. I don't think they had any reason to lie about that and in fact probably would've benefited by shifting blame to Cora. To me it came across as lazy writing, and a means of generating more curiosity around Cora's story.

It's petty but my frustration stemmed from how Cora and Phoebe's parents said Phoebe died months after Cora ran away. I don't think they had any reason to lie about that and in fact probably would've benefited by shifting blame to Cora. To me it came across as lazy writing, and a means of generating more curiosity around Cora's story.

Yes! Thought exactly the same thing! But must've been when they found her body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it previously but we've just finished binging on Designated Survivor on Netflix.

For those who haven't seen it, it's based on the idea that in case of an act of terror or some such, a sole member of the US congress is required not to attend the state of the union address in case the rest of the government is wiped out.... which of course it is. By default this sole member then becomes the President of the United States.

What's intriguing about the series is, along with the inevitable hunt to find the terrorists which is surprisingly suspenseful in season 1, is the battle for this unknown, unlikely, unprepared President to meld his morals, integrity and ideals into a position he never really wanted to be in. It's quite well done and Kiefer Sutherland is actually perfect for the role.

I didn't actually want to like it, and while it is a bit mindless, it can be a pretty interesting thing to watch it and think about Trump in the white house in the context of an outsider trying to get to grips with the political system. It's pretty good mix of action, suspense with a back drop of the machinations of the white house, treachery and family.

Thoroughly recommend it.

I started it and it just got too Presidential.

Season 1 was the best and then it jumps the shark in a big way IMO.

We started thinking exactly the same thing... Season 2 got lost in the middle episodes for a while there, bogged down in the presidential like you say, but it gets it's mojo back towards the end thankfully.

We started thinking exactly the same thing... Season 2 got lost in the middle episodes for a while there, bogged down in the presidential like you say, but it gets it's mojo back towards the end thankfully.

I guess it hit my threshold of 'UH MER ICA' ... have no desire to live in that world - it's in my face in the news every day!

Started watching Wentworth.
First 3 episodes.
Did not realise it was Aussie series until saw end of it by accident on ABC last week some time. Since tracked down where to watch it online and up to 4th episode next.

Um, wow. I finally just watched all six episodes of The Jinx while home sick today.

Wow, wow, wow.

Obviously anyone who has seen it already will understand why I don’t post specifics. If there is any documentary that ever requires you to go in blind, it is this one.

But wow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back