FTA-TV TV shows "jumping the shark"

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The debate in the New Simpsons thread got me thinking about moments when other popular shows "jumped the shark".

There are not many long-running shows that haven't experienced this. For me, there are some obvious examples:

Dad's Army - Walker's death: Still one of the greatest comedies ever made but it was never quite the same when James Beck (Private Walker) died. They brought in Cheeseman to "replace" him but that was a mistake. He only lasted one season.

The Bill - The Rosie Fox-Eddie Santini rape scandal: IMO the moment in time when The Bill changed from a not-to-be-missed show to soapy garbage. Ironically, I think the actors playing the two are married in real life.

M*A*S*H - Trapper McInyre and Colonel Blake leave: Was never the same when these two left after the 3rd season (it ran for 11). It just got even worse when Burns and Radar left.

Frasier - Niles and Daphne getting together: Niles obsession with Daphne was a major thread through the entire show. It lost a lot when they got together.

What are some other "jumping the shark" moments?

Frasier - Niles and Daphne getting together: Niles obsession with Daphne was a major thread through the entire show. It lost a lot when they got together.

What are some other "jumping the shark" moments?

I really dont think they could have played it out anymore I dont think that was a "jump the shark" moment. Personally I quite liked them getting together.

When Cousin Larry and Balki got married and lived together with their partners in PERFECT STRANGERS

*When THE BEVERLEY HILLBILLIES moved into a haunted castle or some s**t

*Same goes for THE GOLDEN GIRLS when they started up a hotel chain or some s**t

Married with children.

When they had the kid (7) come into the show, it was never the same after that.

The debate in the New Simpsons thread got me thinking about moments when other popular shows "jumped the shark".

The Bill - The Rosie Fox-Eddie Santini rape scandal: IMO the moment in time when The Bill changed from a not-to-be-missed show to soapy garbage. Ironically, I think the actors playing the two are married in real life.

I cant remember if these two things happened around the same time but I thought the bill jumped it when they had the big fire that killd half the squad.

I cant remember if these two things happened around the same time but I thought the bill jumped it when they had the big fire that killd half the squad.

The fire was a few years later

Kingswood Country : - when Thelma went overseas on holiday and Rosa [Bruno's mum] moved in with Ted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bill in my opinion jumped the shark when the character of Dave Quinnan was stabbed, and the ramifications that arose from this. Until then, The Bill had strictly been a show about police work. Occasionally there would be a storyline that impacted on a character's personal life, but it would always be work-related and dealt with in one or two episodes.

Some other Shark jumps were:

The Secret Life of Us - This show was probably already done for at the end of 2003, but Ten's solution was to remove over half the characters without explanation and replace them with a bunch of "cool" new characters. The revamped 2004 show was axed after just 3 episodes.

Blue Heelers - After the popular character of Maggie Doyle (Lisa McCune) died, the replacement was a character called Tess (played by Caroline Craig) who proved an unpopular substitute. However, Blue Heelers got back on track in its last two years with the addition of new characters.

Heartbeat - A perfectly reasonable retro comedy-drama set in circa 1964 when it began in 1992, with good characters and storylines. Unfortunately, somebody forgot to mention that the 1960s would become the 1970s and then the 1980s. The show was still in production around 2006 - and still set in the 1960s! This looked ridiculous - some of the original characters remained and were in their early 20s when the show began were now approaching 40, yet it was still the same decade. There were also numerous retcons and continuity errors that resulted from this lack of a timeline.

Prison Break - When they ended up back in prison at the end of season 2 so they could escape again for season 3.
I agree they stuffed up for Season 3, but it has turned good again going into Season 4.

Should've probably ended with the original 2 seasons that were written though.

The OC was another. First two series made it one of the most popular teen shows of all time. Third series they brought in too many new characters which went a fair way to killing the show, but I thought killing off Mischa Bartons character ended the show pretty much. Went from one of the most popular teen shows of all time to axed in the space of about 4 episodes.

Cant believe The OC's fall from grace (kinda like the West Coast Eagles). That show ruled the world with an iron fist in 04-05 then completely imploded.

The Practice completely lost the plot when they replaced pretty much the entire cast for the last season or two. The Drew Carey Show jumped it when Drew and Mimi were no longer enemies for the last season or so (or when Kate left/Kate and Oswald married).

The Practice completely lost the plot when they replaced pretty much the entire cast for the last season or two.

Na i disagree - that gave the show a new lease on life and made it interesting again.

During the 2002 and 2003 season the Practice was getting stale with Bobby and Eugene in change as the story lines were all the same (about the same as Boston League is now) but as soon as they brought Allan Shore (James Spader) in, the show had a new lease of life. But they could not carry the show on as The Practise.

The Drew Carey Show jumped it when Drew and Mimi were no longer enemies for the last season or so (or when Kate left/Kate and Oswald married).

Definately jumped the shark when Kate left.They then introduce an old female school friend of Drew's who moved in and shared his house. :thumbsdown:

Just Shoot Me : - when Finch went to college and moved in with the tall doofus guy from the mailroom.Just to really kill off the show they introduce a new character in the final season [Vicki ???]

Sorry but what the jesus does "jumping the shark mean"?

When a TV show is past its use-by date and tries to revamp itself to stay relevant and popular - rarely works. In soem cases teh show keeps running for a fair while, but everyone knows it was never the same

Comes from the episode of Happy Days where The Fonz jumps over a shark on water skis.

Beverly Hills 90210 - When Brenda left. Dillon ended up with Kelly (was like chalk and cheese, no chemistry).

Neighbours - When Flick Scully left. Bye-Bye adolescent male audience.

Price is Right - When they introduced that big wheel to eliminate contestants instead of just having the two hightest money winners going for the showcase.

Channel 7's footy coverage - When they got the rights back after a five year absence. Provding a scaled back, "cheap" version of footy telecast. Two games a week, no games live and plenty of comercials to cover their exorbident costs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back