FTA-TV TV Shows That Have Aged Poorly

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, one of their best eps IMO was the Rolf Harris episode. It takes on a whole new meaning these days.

The Goodies may have been aware of what he was up to even at that time when they kept saying that the Rolfs were randy little fellas who couldn't stop breeding.

Nawwww it was terrible. Joey and Rachel storyline was trite. Just very forced, also after Chandler and Monica got married, those characters got awful as well.
Yet another show that jumped the shark. It also became aware of its own success, and tried to capitalise on it (which never works).

Anyone seen Or watched any of these lately>

Drew Carey show.
Will and Grace.
Malcolm in the middle.
Roseanne.
Frasier.
Mad about you & full house both in the seinfeld era would be interesting how they stack up.

Laugh so loud still at this show, the whole street can probably hear me. :$
Roseanne isn't half bad.
The others are rubbish imo tho- especially Full House. It was bad back then, it is just as bad now.

I think the point of the thread could be more shows that on re watching today seem to be nowhere near as good as you remembered when seeing them a long time ago as a kid or whatever.

That's exactly why I never go back and watch some of those old faves.

Letting Monkey, Good Times, Diff'rent Strokes, The Greatest American Hero and many more remain classics in my hazy memory.

Though I'm tempted to watch the "Kitten Kong" ep of The Goodies every now and then...

Drew Carey show.
Will and Grace.
Malcolm in the middle.
Roseanne.
Frasier.
Mad about you & full house both in the seinfeld era would be interesting how they stack up.

Used to hate Roseanne, but have actually seen it lately, and have laughed at the occasional line, ( I never used to laugh at it once).

I think before, I was too young to get some of the jokes which I now understand.

Still unwatchable because I cannot stand Roseanne Barr.

Used to hate Roseanne, but have actually seen it lately, and have laughed at the occasional line, ( I never used to laugh at it once).

I think before, I was too young to get some of the jokes which I now understand.

Still unwatchable because I cannot stand Roseanne Barr.
That might of been roseanne Arnold:p:).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew Carey show.
Will and Grace.
Malcolm in the middle.
Roseanne.
Frasier.
Been working through Frasier over the last few months, nearly finished S3. What I have seen so far certainly seems to justify its reputation, and it mostly avoids aging due to its content. Still fresh, although it did take several episodes to grab me. It's highbrow humour, likeable ensemble and theatrical feel still work quite well.

That said, even in S3 I am already starting to sense a very subtle decline. S2 was a fantastic season, whereas S3 has been slightly more hit-and-miss. I've heard somewhere or other that Daphne and Niles get together at some point, which I am guessing would be the jump the shark moment. Hopefully that is a little off a ways yet.

Last edited:
Been working through Frasier over the last few months, nearly finished S3. What I have seen so far certainly seems to justify its reputation, and it mostly avoids aging due to its content. Still fresh, although it did take several episodes to grab me. It's highbrow humour, likeable ensemble and theatrical feel still work quite well.
Frasier to me is like soda water/dry ginger ale you need a acquired taste:).
I did'nt like him in Cheers also.
but everyone is different.

Frasier to me is like soda water/dry ginger ale you need a acquired taste:).
I did'nt like him in Cheers also.
but everyone is different.
IIRC, the character in Cheers changed over time, as I guess they all do, once he became more a bar fly than Dianne's bf/ex.

That said, even in S3 I am already starting to sense a very subtle decline. S2 was a fantastic season, whereas S3 has been slightly more hit-and-miss. I've heard somewhere or other that Daphne and Niles get together at some point, which I am guessing would be the jump the shark moment. Hopefully that is a little off a ways yet.

First four seasons are the show's best imo, then they gradually fall into the typical sitcom situation where the characters become parodies of themselves (ie: their "adventures" are more amped up and over acted). However the show does have a cracking last two seasons that bring the show back to it's roots in a good way.

I have not done a Frasier marathon in a while, even my last attempt a few months back had stopped after a few seasons. I should pick up from where I left off, but I'll probably start from the beginning again.

Comedy is a funny one. Frasier plays off very well established tropes, which means its ages well. The character archetypes are straight out of the commedia dell'arte, and most of the best episodes are nothing more than simple farces. All the charm lies in the pacing of the writing, the wit of the dialogue, and the chemistry and abilities of the actors. e.g.

That sort of scene would not be out of place in a Buster Keaton movie. Similar to Buster Keaton, someone will be able to watch that in 80 years and find it just as funny.

Other comedies rely more on observational stuff (Seinfeld) or pop culture references (Scrubs) which are inevitably linked to a time and a place. As a result they lose a lot over the years. Dr Cox ranting about Kabbalah feels a bit off even now; it's not going to make any sense to someone of a different generation.

Comedy is a funny one. Frasier plays off very well established tropes, which means its ages well. The character archetypes are straight out of the commedia dell'arte, and most of the best episodes are nothing more than simple farces. All the charm lies in the pacing of the writing, the wit of the dialogue, and the chemistry and abilities of the actors. e.g.

That sort of scene would not be out of place in a Buster Keaton movie. Similar to Buster Keaton, someone will be able to watch that in 80 years and find it just as funny.

Other comedies rely more on observational stuff (Seinfeld) or pop culture references (Scrubs) which are inevitably linked to a time and a place. As a result they lose a lot over the years. Dr Cox ranting about Kabbalah feels a bit off even now; it's not going to make any sense to someone of a different generation.

Glad someone put this up - just a fantastic piece of acting and timing. Frasier has aged well simply because the writing was so sharp (same with Yes Minister).

My kids love Malcolm in the Middle (may reflect view of their parents.....).

Every show with a laugh track and a punchline every two or three lines feels like s**t these days. Probably because every show like that today is utter s**t.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back