TV TV Shows That Went In Strange Directions

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
And they acted like a bunch of superheroes? 2017 was around the time I got fussier with shows. Hearing that in reviews didn't encourage me to come back for season 2.
It was one episode. To be honest i liked it. And it had no influence on the rest of the season. Season 2 was better than season 1.

emuboy

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Australian sitcom Kingswood Country - a show that would horrify the PC Brigade and SJW's if screened today - had two main actors leave during its 5 season run from 1980 to 1984.

The first was Judi Farr who played Thelma Bullpit, Ted's wife and the mother of Greta and Craig. Her departure after 1982 was explained by her winning a round the world trip and never returning. Her absence was covered by bringing in Sheila Kenneally to play Rosa, the widowed mother of Bruno (Greta's husband, Ted's son in law) who moves into the Bullpit house and promoting Col McEwan and Maggie Dence - who played Bob and Merle Bullpit - from recurring characters to the main cast.

However, when Lex Marinos who played Bruno decided not to return for the final series of the show in 1984, an unusual solution was put into place to cover his departure. Bruno became an unseen character - said to be outside, in the next room or on the phone - but never actually seen or heard on the show.

There have been lots of unseen characters over the years and while some are eventually shown on screen and others remain hidden, the reverse of this with a seen character becoming an unseen character is very rare. Besides Bruno I can name only one other example, Sophie, Mel's overly dramatic sister from UK sitcom 'The Worst Week of My Life' in the 2000s, who was a seen (and definitely heard) character in Series 1, but unseen in Series 2 and the Christmas Special.

RolandF1

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers handled the sudden departure of 3 of its stars by using previous footage over and over again, having them doing something else off screen and only appearing eventually in costume with bad voice impersonators.

I do wonder if it inspired this bit in the Simpsons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers handled the sudden departure of 3 of its stars by using previous footage over and over again, having them doing something else off screen and only appearing eventually in costume with bad voice impersonators.

I do wonder if it inspired this bit in the Simpsons.

considering they're just reusing the Japanese footage anyway, it's not as much of a big deal

Blue Arrow

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Starhunter, a 20 year old sci-fi show with Michael Pare (EDDIE LIVES!) that decided to get rid off all its main characters (except one) between seasons one & two.

Andre

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Heroes was a major disappointment. First season was stellar. By the time the writers strike occured the show was in the toilet.
Heroes was the classic perfectly written one season TV show, that due to popularity they went for more seasons and they suddenly had to figure out new plots. Save the Cheerleader, Save the world. They did it and it should have been done (except should have had Sylar die).

Elmer_Judd

#Teague2020
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I actually thought of E Street after I posted this last night. Like you said it was a standard enough soapie in its early years, then changed towards the end of its run to become totally unrealistic with the serial killer, a lifelong paraplegic inexplicably finding himself able to walk and IIRC aliens and werewolves too.
Don't forget the Gangsters as well:)

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Lois and Clark new adventures of Superman.

jumped the shark with the wedding then there were chameleons and other weird stuff

RolandF1

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lois and Clark new adventures of Superman.

jumped the shark with the wedding then there were chameleons and other weird stuff
Hyping up the first wedding only for Lois to be a frog eating clone. Delaying the actual wedding week after week with numerous plot twists and turns. Yeah, that certainly pissed off a few at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom