TV shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Commercial TV has a lot to answer for. Are they trying to dumb down the viewing audience?

All these silly reality shows, Bachelor, Farmer wants a wife, the Kardashins, Housewives of (insert name of city), Get me out of here, MKR and so it goes on.

Who watches these shows? Are they really that popular?

If you actually time the content, it is about 35 mins (hour show), the rest is commercials and catch ups.

No wonder people download.

Commercial TV has a lot to answer for. Are they trying to dumb down the viewing audience?

All these silly reality shows, Bachelor, Farmer wants a wife, the Kardashins, Housewives of (insert name of city), Get me out of here, MKR and so it goes on.

If you actually time the content, it is about 35 mins (hour show), the rest is commercials and catch ups.

I believe a lot of the Australian ones are to do with the fact that by government law stations are required to show X number of Australian produced shows and these reality options are of course a lot cheaper to produce and get as much of an audience. Honestly, whilst I certainly have no love for the commercial stations for choosing this kind of content over a proper narrative/documentary you can hardly blame them, instead it's a matter of people realising that if they stop watching this crap it'll stop being made and we'll get some good content again.

I'm just happy we're seeing some more Jack Irish.

I believe a lot of the Australian ones are to do with the fact that by government law stations are required to show X number of Australian produced shows and these reality options are of course a lot cheaper to produce and get as much of an audience. Honestly, whilst I certainly have no love for the commercial stations for choosing this kind of content over a proper narrative/documentary you can hardly blame them, instead it's a matter of people realising that if they stop watching this crap it'll stop being made and we'll get some good content again.

I'm just happy we're seeing some more Jack Irish.
Actually I thought that because it was cheaper to make that is why we get so much of it but surely a good panelist show like Insiders or a program like Q&A wouldn't cost more.
One thing I didn't know was that contestants on shows like Big Brother get paid so I presume that would be the case for most reality shows?

Didn't Australia drop those 'content' laws? If not maybe they are thinking of doing it with the new laws that are being drawn up.
Happy for them to drop it if that is the quality of filling in those hours.

Actually I thought that because it was cheaper to make that is why we get so much of it but surely a good panelist show like Insiders or a program like Q&A wouldn't cost more.
One thing I didn't know was that contestants on shows like Big Brother get paid so I presume that would be the case for most reality shows?

Didn't Australia drop those 'content' laws? If not maybe they are thinking of doing it with the new laws that are being drawn up.

They might have dropped it... I hope they didn't though because it's important to keep it there in the long run as once it's dropped I don't see it being reinstated.

Insiders/Q&A would be cheaper to run, as would have shows like Spicks & Specks, At the Movies, and the still active Good Game but I guess it's just an age bracket thing. The ABC's audience is something like 80% over 60, most 10-30 year-olds don't have much of an interest in Q&A, in fact the only shows I'd suggest are being watched by under 30s on ABC at the moment are things like Good Game/Kids shows/The Weekly/Shaun Micallef's stuff with the occasional iView exclusive thrown in. It's not a huge selection.

They might have dropped it... I hope they didn't though because it's important to keep it there in the long run as once it's dropped I don't see it being reinstated.

Insiders/Q&A would be cheaper to run, as would have shows like Spicks & Specks, At the Movies, and the still active Good Game but I guess it's just an age bracket thing. The ABC's audience is something like 80% over 60, most 10-30 year-olds don't have much of an interest in Q&A, in fact the only shows I'd suggest are being watched by under 30s on ABC at the moment are things like Good Game/Kids shows/The Weekly/Shaun Micallef's stuff with the occasional iView exclusive thrown in. It's not a huge selection.
Agree with a lot of what you have posted and it does concern me what changes this government will make.
I would add Gruen and Utopia both great shows that I never miss and would appeal to the young.

They didn't drop it, if they dropped it nothing would be Australian made. That's why there's so much news on TV, to fill the quota.

There has to be a minimum 55% Australian content between 6am and midnight.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Bro...tralian-content/australian-content-television

The cricket is about the only thing I watch on commercial telly. Maybe the news at times. I can't cop the reality shows at all. Foxtel is no better though for advertisments. A standard 1/2 show probably only goes for 15 minutes. I'd find it hard to ditch Foxtel, but paying to watch ads on what was supposed to be ad-free TV is annoying.

The cricket is about the only thing I watch on commercial telly. Maybe the news at times. I can't cop the reality shows at all. Foxtel is no better though for advertisments. A standard 1/2 show probably only goes for 15 minutes. I'd find it hard to ditch Foxtel, but paying to watch ads on what was supposed to be ad-free TV is annoying.
I had Optus pay TV, then Foxtel in the early days then when they introduced ads, cancelled it all together.
They tried all sorts of things to keep me including 3 months free, you should try it.
Anyway, that is why I watch quite a bit of ABC and sometimes SBS.

I had Optus pay TV, then Foxtel in the early days then when they introduced ads, cancelled it all together.
They tried all sorts of things to keep me including 3 months free, you should try it.

Have you Tried Streaming Stuff like Presto and Netfilx as they don't have Ad's

Have you Tried Streaming Stuff like Presto and Netfilx as they don't have Ad's
Yep, Got Netflix as soon as it came out, love it and very cheap.
Also because I am with Optus doesn't count against my data. Win/win.:thumbsu:

Yep, Got Netflix as soon as it came out, love it and very cheap.
Also because I am with Optus doesn't count against my data. Win/win.:thumbsu:

I have UnLimited Data for my ADSL 2 Line so that is good.

We get Netflix after we Downgraded our Foxtel. Mostly took Doco's and Movies as because Movies Channel's just have Replays after Replay and keep getting many Replays of the Same Stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might look into that. Only problem is I know I can't live without it, especially during footy season. Mrs is hooked on the Lifestyle shows as well. I think I'm buggered. Its here to stay I think:p

I might look into that. Only problem is I know I can't live without it, especially during footy season. Mrs is hooked on the Lifestyle shows as well. I think I'm buggered. Its here to stay I think:p

Major Reason we kept Foxtel is the Sport

Anyone watch x files last night? Wtf? How s**t was it?
I think that Mulder is a bit off, seems he really isn't on song.
Didn't mind the laughs but timing and facial expressions seem a bit off.
Will still watch it though.

I can't believe I've only recently just jumped on the Netflix bandwagon. Currently watching House of Cards, never had much of an opinion of Kevin Spacey, I do now. Sensational.

If anyone has Netflix, am really enjoying a show called 'Occupied'.
Made in Norway and unfortunately sub-titled but really recommend it.
I have it on my iPad. whats it about?

I can't believe I've only recently just jumped on the Netflix bandwagon. Currently watching House of Cards, never had much of an opinion of Kevin Spacey, I do now. Sensational.
Which season?
Loved seasons 1 and 2 particularly.
If you are in to political drama the British House of cards three seasons worth each of four episodes are even better. It's more Shakespearean than the American version and Ian Richardson is malevolent in all its evilness

Political drama, Russians occupy Sweden as they are cutting down on oil supply to the Europen Union. I loved it.
I will give it a whirl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back