TV shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I thought that because it was cheaper to make that is why we get so much of it but surely a good panelist show like Insiders or a program like Q&A wouldn't cost more.
One thing I didn't know was that contestants on shows like Big Brother get paid so I presume that would be the case for most reality shows?

Didn't Australia drop those 'content' laws? If not maybe they are thinking of doing it with the new laws that are being drawn up.
Happy for them to drop it if that is the quality of filling in those hours.
I think you will find in Big Brother, that's the one I know about, they get a minimal payment, bills etc that sort of payment. The idea being that the house mates aren't overly put out or put in dire straights. That and if they paid much more etc like a wage, then if the winner got their prize, it could be considered taxable as they are earning income. Hence the idea is that housemates are just competiting in a once off game with a lucky prize, ie then not subject to tax.
Don't know about other reality tv only a bit about big brother.

Master Chef, I'm not as strong on, but a show I actually like, it's not nasty at all, and I find cooking relaxing.
I think the contestants actually are prepared to give up quite a bit.
They have minimal contact with their families, a phone call or two a week I think.
Unsure how they are paid.
I know people involved in such shows in the back ground, I trust what they've told me.

Two great shows coming up:
1. Vinyl (The Recording Industry of the 1970's)
2. 11.22.63 (Trying to prevent the assassination of JFK)
I have been watching 11.22.63 and and enjoying it.
There is another show that has been given to me and that is Night Manager based on a novel by Le Carre. Love it!

Just finished watching House Of Cards S4....brilliant
Binged S4 over 2 days. Like a book you can't put down. Love Kevin Spacey (evil as he is).

Might check out the JFK thing. Read a bit about it so I'll give it a crack soon.

Current ones I'm having a look at are Vikings S4, Better Call Saul S2, Outsiders, Happy Valley S2, Billions, Colony. To be honest, really just treading water until Game of Thrones comes back which is like waiting for the footy season to start. Hurry up!!

Season 3 of The Bridge is phenomenal. Still as good as ever.

House of Cards Season 4 and Billions are now causing me late, late nights. Too easy to binge watch!

Is The Bridge the American re-make of the British show The Tunnel?

Is it me or is Vikings more and more becoming like GoT? Loved episode I for the historical backdrop but the debauchery that is going on at the moment becomes a bit tedious , strange as it may sound..

Is it me or is Vikings more and more becoming like GoT? Loved episode I for the historical backdrop but the debauchery that is going on at the moment becomes a bit tedious , strange as it may sound..
It used to be about the exploits of the Vikings, but now it is much more about their internal politics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It used to be about the exploits of the Vikings, but now it is much more about their internal politics
Yep. Not enough left of the original historical backdrop.
They are taking liberties with some chain of events. Paris was early 900. Intricate defense works like rolling barrels? Please . The playing dead trick was done by one of Ragnar sons much later in Italy. And a few more references that are hardly legit. The reference to Floki punishment being an nice exception. According to local folklore the God Loki was tied down in similar fashion with acid dripping into his eye balls and each time a drop would land, he would pull at his shackles in anguish and cause earthquakes.
Bit of luck we get another blood eagle at the end of the series but not much else to look forward to.

I see all these shows being advertised and I just think.

God they put so much Crap on TV
I watch it on SBS on demand. Saves me from watching TV with all its commercials and other crap

Has anyone been watching Halt and Catch Fire?
No, what is it about?

It is okay, I checked out IMDB, will check it out.
At the moment I am going to check out Penny Dreadful which has been recommended to me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back