TV Umpires to call front foot no balls

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Finally, the ICC is having a widespread trial of the third umpire being the sole judge of front foot no balls in ODI cricket. Well and truly overdue.

TV umpires may soon become the sole adjudicators of front-foot no-balls, if planned ICC trials prove successful.

The ICC will identify a number of limited-overs series over the next six months for implementing a system where the TV umpire - and not the on-field umpires - will call no-balls for overstepping. The system has been trialled before, notably in the ODI series between England and Pakistan in 2016, but it will be rolled out on a much broader scale this time.

As recently as last November, Ravi was at the centre of a more prolonged spell of missing no-balls. In England's third Test in Sri Lanka, on the third morning in Colombo, Lakshan Sandakan bowled as many as 12 no-balls according to the broadcasters in a five-over spell; the only deliveries that were penalised by Ravi and the other umpires, however, were the ones that allowed Ben Stokes to continue his innings after being caught off them.

Common sense, on field umpires have enough to worry about. It won't be long until there's a machine that automatically detects no balls like the lets in tennis which will make it much easier

I'd still prefer the on-field umpire to call them when they see them, but far too many get missed these days so this might be the only recourse. I'd rather the TV umpire was just a back-up, but this way is probably the more practical.

same.

if the batsman hears the call early enough, they have the opportunity to basically have a free hit. this will deny them of this moving forward.

will it mean the next ball is a 'free hit' ? I mean it should be, but this mickey mouse rule should be left for white ball cricket.

does this also mean warnie has a retrospective test ton now :)

At the moment it’s a trial in white ball cricket, but I doubt any batsman has the ability to successfully change their shot on a no ball call from the umpire anyway!

I agree with The Falcon Strike that it should improve decision making. It’s very quick going from watching front foot to does the ball pitch in line, where did it hit, does he hit it etc. if they can solely focus on what the balls doing then decision making should get better.

Not sure on the automatic machine like tennis, much harder for no balls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back