Opinion Twelve Records That Are Safe

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Grant youngest player to kick 50 goals in a season.
I don't think they'll ever lower the playing age limit again so all those types will last.

- Trevor Barker (Stkilda) played 230 Games without playing in a final, i doubt that will happen nowadays with the draft system the way it is.

- Bill James (Richmond) Palyed 1 career game and has 1 Premiership to his name

- Hawthorn spent a record 32 years without playing finals 1925-1960, once again with the way the draft is i cat forsee it being broken

- Des Fothergill of Collingwood won their B+F in 1937 aged 17yr and 77 days, wont be beaten

- Tony Lockett kicked 127 goals in 1991 at an average of 7.47 goals per game

- Des Fothergill of Collingwood won their B+F in 1937 aged 17yr and 77 days, wont be beaten

Great effort by Fothergill. However, this record could possibly be beaten by a Gold Coast or West Sydney player. It would take a big effort, but it could happen in their inaugural season when they have lots of younger players.

I can't see Fred Fanning's 18 goals getting beaten anytime soon...... with flooding and all.

As much as it pains me to say it, 119. There will probably never be a bigger differece in ability, workrate and squad development stage between the best team and the rest of the comp ever again. Geelong had their up year and they were the only team to have an up year that year.

I'm actually shocked there hasn't been a recent scoreless quarter. That will definitely happen eventually on a wet and windy night between two defensive and crappy teams.

As much as it pains me to say it, 119. There will probably never be a bigger differece in ability, workrate and squad development stage between the best team and the rest of the comp ever again. Geelong had their up year and they were the only team to have an up year that year.

I'm actually shocked there hasn't been a recent scoreless quarter. That will definitely happen eventually on a wet and windy night between two defensive and crappy teams.

Can't agree with your statement. It was just that they played against a team that lay down and took it.

With footy as professional as it is these days. There is absolutely no reason for an inform team that's won 2 finals to lose by 100+...

Where was the flooding?
Where was the aggressive man on man tactics?
Where was the all-in-brawl?
FFS where was the PRIDE?

The pies would've been more competitive...

Add another to Tuck

Most senior games: 426 for Hawthorn
Most finals games: 39
Most grand finals played in: 11
Most premiership wins: 7

Also, Hawks 7 GF apperances in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really a record, but North Melbourne are the holders of the perpetual Champions of Australia trophy, and are likely to hold onto it forever.

Because the Championship of Australia competition was discontinued in 1975, this left North Melbourne as the permanent holders of the perpetual trophy. The club is obligated to hold the trophy until the next competition takes place, but because the ANFC has dissolved and the competition was finished in 1975 we are likely to hold onto it for eterenity :)

People keep mentioning the scoreless quarter.

Read it again. We are talking BOTH teams going scoreless, not just one.

I happened to be at the game that has come the closest since to matching the record, Round 12, St Kilda v Collingwood at Moorabbin. It pissed rain for the whole second quarter on an already muddy ground, and nobody scored till the 27 minute mark, when Collingwood got a rushed behind.

Considering the way the weather is these days, and the pristine conditions we play in, I can't see things deteriorating to the point where it becomes almost impossible to score, or even move the ball in any meaningful fashion any time in my lifetime.

Can't agree with your statement. It was just that they played against a team that lay down and took it.

With footy as professional as it is these days. There is absolutely no reason for an inform team that's won 2 finals to lose by 100+...

Where was the flooding?
Where was the aggressive man on man tactics?
Where was the all-in-brawl?
FFS where was the PRIDE?

The pies would've been more competitive...

Yep. 137 years of tradition, pride, resolve, blood and sweat nuked in a little over 3 hours.

As s**t as we were though, I managed to grit my teeth and watch most of the game again on Foxtel a year ago and Geelong were on another planet that day.

Everything they tried came off. Perpetual motion from start to finish. Four quarters of sheer brilliance combined with four quarters where barely a handful of opposition players bother to get off the team bus = 119 points.

Add another to Tuck

Most senior games: 426 for Hawthorn
Most finals games: 39
Most grand finals played in: 11
Most premiership wins: 7

Also, Hawks 7 GF apperances in a row.

Tied with Melbourne for 7 straight between 54-60.

Everything they tried came off. Perpetual motion from start to finish. Four quarters of sheer brilliance combined with four quarters where barely a handful of opposition players bother to get off the team bus = 119 points.

The scariest thing about that game was that it got out to about 130 points at one stage.

Got me on a technicality:D I did mean just before they went to the AFL

No technicality buddy,
FACT- Richmond did not win the last VFL grand final which was in 1989. Hawthorn did. I think you are making stuff up now or you have no clue what the hell you are talking about

I remember Burgoyne kicking the last goal just before the final siren, but until then they hadn't scored for like half the game, had they?

No technicality buddy,
FACT- Richmond did not win the last VFL grand final which was in 1989. Hawthorn did. I think you are making stuff up now or you have no clue what the hell you are talking about

He might have meant we won the last VFL spoon.:(

No technicality buddy,
Richmond won the 1989 VFL under 19 grand final the week after Hawthorn won the 1989 VFL senior grand final.

The replay of under 19 grand final in 1989 was the last VFL grand final played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back