Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Where there is smoke etc

AFL considers moving grand final to twilight timeslot in 2017

• CEO Gillon McLachlan says the AFL is considering a twilight grand final in 2017 and will make a decision over summer.

As the league revealed next year's fixture on Thursday at AFL House, McLachlan spoke about the timing of the 2017 grand final in answer to a question about the much-discussed change. The grand final is traditionally played on the afternoon of the last Saturday in September.

The idea of a Sunday GF is interesting imo

Gives both sides a full 7 day break

Allows the tension and excitement to build across Saturday and Sunday

Provides greater exposure on Sunday night television

Assuming it is a different weekend to NRL

The idea of a Sunday GF is interesting imo

Gives both sides a full 7 day break

Allows the tension and excitement to build across Saturday and Sunday

Provides greater exposure on Sunday night television

Assuming it is a different weekend to NRL

Dont like it, Saturday arvo or twilight allows you to have a decent night win, lose or draw or even if you don't barrack for either team, BBQ and a few beers and maybe a few more, Sunday if you work on Monday means a much more conservative night.

Monday as a public holiday would work though. :)

Went to a mates place this year for the GF and kicked on afterwards, Sunday i wouldnt.

Don't know why they keep toying with this idea of a night GF... 2:30 was a long enough of a wait for me this season but I think it's a perfect time as it is now. The Post GF concert was a highlight for me this year, was quite surprised, it really did add to the spectacle and I had apt amount of time to have a couple hours/drink in the city before heading out west to let it sink in further.

I think it will happen sooner rather than later.
The extra ratings alone would make it a goer plus everything just looks better under lights
The after game entertainment should also keep more people interested if it started at around 9.30

The AFL will not give up until it is at night. Tradition doesn't count neither do all the activities centred around an afternoon grand final. I am glad that all the grand finals this century have been in the afternoon. Cold, wet, windy weather will make a grand final so much more enjoyable at night.

Where there is smoke etc
That gay as nrl bull shiy that for sure we all ways have it on Saturday afternoon it a classic and it will all ways be it a waste time if they change it
AFL considers moving grand final to twilight timeslot in 2017

• CEO Gillon McLachlan says the AFL is considering a twilight grand final in 2017 and will make a decision over summer.

As the league revealed next year's fixture on Thursday at AFL House, McLachlan spoke about the timing of the 2017 grand final in answer to a question about the much-discussed change. The grand final is traditionally played on the afternoon of the last Saturday in September.

It's all about the $, and $ always gets her way in the end.

I'd like it to happen sooner rather than later, Saturday arvo's a s**t timeslot, it's why we don't have regular live Saturday arvo games so why do we play the biggest game of all in that slot?

6pm opening bounce and if little Johnny can't watch it all because he needs to go nigh nighs then tough t***ies.

The AFL will not give up until it is at night. Tradition doesn't count neither do all the activities centred around an afternoon grand final. I am glad that all the grand finals this century have been in the afternoon. Cold, wet, windy weather will make a grand final so much more enjoyable at night.

Ah, but you're forgetting all those pretty coloured lights and fireworks, and other assorted aesthetics to make the simpleton warm and fuzzy inside. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back