*CONFIRMED* Grand Final 2018 @ 2:30pm

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With twightlight maybe just.

With a night grand final and kids are going to bed in the last quarter rather than going to see their premiership heroes at fed square. Doesn't really develop the next generation of hardcore fans.

It's a saturday night I'm sure there will be some sort of arrangements for kids.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
But apparently I can't have a BBQ then and it's just tradition!

12.30pm is a s**t time in WA and we are the 2nd biggest footy state, sooner they change it the better.

It's 100% going to happen at some stage so the whingers may as well suck it up. All the other finals aren't during the day and nobody complains.

Exactly. People in Perth have a genuine reason for it to change, but the counter argument is "ohhhh but but but, i will be too drunk by 4.45 or but but but its tradition"

give me a break.

Seems like all this s**t being suggested for moving it has nothing to do with the actual game and everything to do with anything else.

Advertisers, entertainment, dark, WA time zones, fire works, 1/2 time and post game concerts.

And not a thing about the game itself... nothing about the 120 mins of footy.

Makes a lot of sense to change something that has nothing to do with making the game better.

Sounds 100% like an AFL directive.

Go Catters

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly. People in Perth have a genuine reason for it to change, but the counter argument is "ohhhh but but but, i will be too drunk by 4.45 or but but but its tradition"

give me a break.
Lived in Perth for years and have family still living over there. None of them or myself have a problem with a 12:30pm start time. I actually preferred it living over there than the 3:30 start time here.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

give me a break.
I guarantee after about the 2nd one nobody will care about the time change anymore and future supporters will wonder why the hell we used to play the game so early.

Oct 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Lightning
But apparently I can't have a BBQ then and it's just tradition!

12.30pm is a s**t time in WA and we are the 2nd biggest footy state, sooner they change it the better.

It's 100% going to happen at some stage so the whingers may as well suck it up. All the other finals aren't during the day and nobody complains.

Yeah, but prelim final days and grand final day are a very different atmosphere.

If 4:45pm is to help the west, then fine. If it's a night grand final precursor then garbage strategy.

Oct 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Lightning
Seems like all this s**t being suggested for moving it has nothing to do with the actual game and everything to do with anything else.

Advertisers, entertainment, dark, WA time zones, fire works, 1/2 time and post game concerts.

Makes a lot of sense to change something that has nothing to do with making the game better.

Go Catters

Yeah MCG under partial lights isn't the best conditions for the players.

give me a break.

Why is the time a valid reason for one time zone but not another?

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Why is the time a valid reason for one time zone but not another?

What are the possible inconveniences for a 4:45pm start time?

I'd take a night GF in Melbourne so Perth could get the twilight night slot. We been getting twilight games for decades with the time difference.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
What are the possible inconveniences for a 4:45pm start time?
The view of the ground from the Eastern end, for the first quarter and a half, when you pay $900.00+ a ticket...
eclipse-0.jpg

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil

Go Catters
Great post

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
The view of the ground from the Eastern end, for the first quarter and a half, when you pay $900.00+ a ticket...
eclipse-0.jpg
Good point - forgot how bad this was as I’ve only sat on that side once for a twilight game. Absolute rubbish. Imagine paying that much and effectively missing a huge portion of the game because the sub is stabbing you in the eyes.

Day or night.

Not twilight.

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm surprised there was no word on this at the season launch yesterday. Didn't the board meet yesterday to discuss the motion of moving the Grand Final to a twilight slot?

Just hurry up and do it, I think. There's enough support out there for it to work.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Well I have and knew I'd have to do so again.

1. Clearly a better spectacle as a whole. One has to take away ones personal bias here. Night football looks better than daytime football.
2. Fireworks I don't care for, but it's not about me. Lighting and everything that the future of lighting will bring with it, will make for the better 'spectacle'
3. Entertainment? I don't care for the mid-game entertainment either, but again........it's not about me. The entertainment will obviously look better at night than it does during the day. That's patently obvious.
4. More viewers. Yes, a night Grand Final will bring along more eyes. Can't dismiss commercial reality.
5. Western States for now at least, don't have to prep up for the big day at midday. Our night Grand Final would make for their Twilight Grand Final.

I'm sure I've skimmed over some other benefits and others will help me out.....Again,....What makes a daytime GF better than a night-time GF?

You make some valid points, but I actually disagree with Point 1. I think day games look better on tv, and are also better to attend. i'm fine with twilight granny, but I do think the day game looks best.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If they are going to change it then make it a night grand final. Twilight is a terrible time and glare will be poor for half of the game.

The only reason they want to change it is for fireworks/light shows for the entertainment. They want it to be like the superbowl and only problem there is everyone remembers who did the half-time show and not who played/won the game. Plus unless the AFL forks out millions of dollars, it will still come across as a cheap/gimmicky version of entertainment.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If they are going to change it then make it a night grand final. Twilight is a terrible time and glare will be poor for half of the game.

The only reason they want to change it is for fireworks/light shows for the entertainment. They want it to be like the superbowl and only problem there is everyone remembers who did the half-time show and not who played/won the game. Plus unless the AFL forks out millions of dollars, it will still come across as a cheap/gimmicky version of entertainment.

Glare is no different to the game in the arvo.

The reason they want it to change is the tv networks want it.

And the reason they want it is because more people will watch it.

Isnt that the reason that we get told we cant move away from the MCG? More people?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The only reason they want to change it is for fireworks/light shows for the entertainment. They want it to be like the superbowl and only problem there is everyone remembers who did the half-time show and not who played/won the game.
lol, what a load of rubbish.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I have never ever heard that the time the GF starts in Perth is a problem, I highly doubt WA would have anything to do with it. Whenever it is on the same people will watch it.
The 12.30 current start time in Perth is bloody brilliant in my opinion.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Doubt it has anything to do with WA.

To be honest though, I think it’s a great idea. Much better atmosphere in the evening.

I can understand why they don’t make it a night game, as it’s a bit late for the kids, although I think a 6pm start makes more sense.

Back