Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
My opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
That's nice. My opinion is it looks better during the day.
My reasoning? A red footy, and bright green grass complemented by a (usually) colourful crowd bathed in sunlight is better than a yellow ball, complemented by everything being tinged slightly yellow due to the artificial light.
What's your reasoning?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
That's nice. My opinion is it looks better during the day.
My reasoning? A red footy, and bright green grass complemented by a (usually) colourful crowd bathed in sunlight is better than a yellow ball, complemented by everything being tinged slightly yellow due to the artificial light.
What's your reasoning?
No shade lines. Better viewing.
Better time for the whole nation and not just the eastern seaboard.
Then theres also the people that work on weekends. Evening /nighttime means they get to see the game.
I also just think it looks better at night.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
No shade lines. Better viewing.
Better time for the whole nation and not just the eastern seaboard.
Then theres also the people that work on weekends. Evening /nighttime means they get to see the game.
I also just think it looks better at night.

That's a real reason. I can't argue with that, all I can give you is that I reckon the colours of a day game outweigh that.

As for the better time, I really doubt that. Twilight is crap, people who watch from the eastern seaboard (which is about half the people watching) will all have to organise dinner at half time. There will be far less people watching just after half time. Adelaide is only 30min behind so they're the same. The only state that gets a better time slot is WA, which is only 10% of the population anyway. As for workers, there's almost no avoiding it. People have to work Saturday night too, a day game means they get to see it. There's a reason all the junk games are twilight.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
That's a real reason. I can't argue with that, all I can give you is that I reckon the colours of a day game outweigh that.

As for the better time, I really doubt that. Twilight is crap, people who watch from the eastern seaboard (which is about half the people watching) will all have to organise dinner at half time. There will be far less people watching just after half time. Adelaide is only 30min behind so they're the same. The only state that gets a better time slot is WA, which is only 10% of the population anyway. As for workers, there's almost no avoiding it. People have to work Saturday night too, a day game means they get to see it. There's a reason all the junk games are twilight.

I guess we will find out when the ratings come out after the game.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Yep. "It's tradition" is one of the dumbest reasons to do, or not do, just about anything.

It'll go night time eventually, and 2 years after that happens people will be saying "oh yeah, that's right, the grannie used to be during the daytime, didn't it."

It's like any of these type of progressions, people get all worked up, offended and red-faced when these things are suggested, and waste all manner of time and effort railing against it, only to then completely forget about it and move on within months of it happening.

Look at Marriage Equality. The naysayers worked themselves into a deeply triggered frenzy about it, and now, just a few months down the track, the vast majority of them are saying "err...marriage what?"

It's thoroughly hilarious watching that process unfold, time and time again....
Change is great. When it provides a benefit. Where is the benefit in moving the game later?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
No. You dont agree with my assertion.
Dont speak for others.

I can speak for them because polls have shown you're in the minority by a big margin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/991e9054f9e8ea4d2de11c744faaeb4a

Poll result 79% Day v 21% Night.

No it isnt. So many people out and about. Its not like the place is empty.

Yes it is. Any kind of security operation is always FAR easier to conduct and monitor during daylight.

Added the costs are FAR less to do it during the day.

Terrible time slot for people with young kids.

Twighlight grand final, possible wild card finals. Are there anymore American ideas Gill can rip off?

At least now we can watch some piss poor half time entertainment in the dusk.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I can speak for them because polls have shown you're in the minority by a big margin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/991e9054f9e8ea4d2de11c744faaeb4a

Poll result 79% Day v 21% Night.

And people who dont read the herald sun? Basically anyone outside of Victoria.

Yes it is. Any kind of security operation is always FAR easier to conduct and monitor during daylight.

Added the costs are FAR less to do it during the day.

Itd be no different and just as safe in the evening with the amount of people around.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
And people who dont read the herald sun? Basically anyone outside of Victoria.

Biggest selling paper in the nation. There's also a thing called the internet. So you can you know, read s**t online...

Itd be no different and just as safe in the evening with the amount of people around.

So naive.

And the costs? You saying the costs would be the same?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Biggest selling paper in the nation.

Because its in one of the biggest cities in the nation

So naive.

And the costs? You saying the costs would be the same?

So fearful.

Actually probably not. Knowing the AFL they will probably spend more money in entertainment so will cost more as a whole.

But as for safety? Will be no different. No greater risk.

Wasnt there a guy trying to run people down during last years day GF?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Because its in one of the biggest cities in the nation

So fearful.

Actually probably not. Knowing the AFL they will probably spend more money in entertainment so will cost more as a whole.

But as for safety? Will be no different. No greater risk.

Wasnt there a guy trying to run people down during last years day GF?

You sure? Not fearful, just know my s**t when it comes to security.

• Research consistently shows the peak time for violent offending is weekend nights and the peak location is in and around pubs and clubs.

So you're saying having bars and clubs full of drunk people in far larger numbers than normal to then be added to by a mass of people spilling from the stadium won't make it any different to a day GF. That's laughable.

And as I've pointed out, the extra cost to the tax payer. You think all those Police and other services required get paid the same rates during the night?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
You sure? Not fearful, just know my s**t when it comes to security.

• Research consistently shows the peak time for violent offending is weekend nights and the peak location is in and around pubs and clubs.

So you're saying having bars and clubs full of drunk people in far larger numbers than normal to then be added to by a mass of people spilling from the stadium won't make it any different to a day GF. That's laughable.

And as I've pointed out, the extra cost to the tax payer. You think all those Police and other services required get paid the same rates during the night?

I was there last year
The place is packed with drunk people wether day or night.

The police contingent was huge later that night so moving it a few bours later does nothing to change the numbers of what was out there.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I was there last year
The place is packed with drunk people wether day or night.

Wrong, there are more drunk people about at night. Especially getting towards the hours when a night GF will finish.

What part of that don't you get?

The police contingent was huge later that night so moving it a few bours later does nothing to change the numbers of what was out there.

Yes it will. The costs and resources required will be far more significant.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Wrong, there are more drunk people about at night. Especially getting towards the hours when a night GF will finish.

What part of that don't you get?

Evidence?

The city was full at night last year when it was a day game.

Moving it 3 hours makes no difference to the "dangers" of Melbournes streets.

You really are looking for anything to keep it at 230.

Yes it will. The costs and resources required will be far more significant.

No different. Same amount of people will be out and about.

I guess we will have either of our points proven when the event is moved back a few hours.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
happy-th-of-july-colorful-fireworks-animated-card-gif-pic.gif

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It isn't helped by the fact that most of the time the actual Grand Final is a pretty bad match for neutrals. I mean how many good Grand Final games have actually occurred in the last 20 years (from a neutral perspective). I think majority of them would be pretty poor games overall.
2009/2010.
Imagine a night AFL grand final. The atmosphere would be absolutely insane. Hurry up already and change it. Costing the AFL millions not having a night GF.
You gotta get rid of most of the corporates first. They stuff the atmosphere of most GF's.

Wrong. Night GF is worse for the city, society and tax payers. Far better and safer for such a large mass of people to be cleared out during the day than all the various services have to deal with it all at night.

Really. It's that bad?
How do the NFL do it in the States? How does the NRL get away with it here?
What about other sporting events that are largely held at night?

Maybe I've missed the main point of what you're getting at.
Do we somehow function better when the sun is out as against the moon being out?

Look at the situation objectively and you may find it hard to argue against a night Grand Final, but if you're basing things on personal reasons (eg. kids have to get to be by 9), then you're doing it wrong.

Back