Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Remove this Banner Ad

They should do it. Even as an example one year night GF, the next year a day one and alternate. A least have a crack, it would be awesome imo. Especially a historic one.

Imagine a Collingwood-Essendon Night GF. Or when they do become good again which is soon, a Collingwood-Carlton GF.

And how do they measure multiple people watching from the same device? E.g. perhaps the friendlier day time means more people will leave their houses to gather and watch together, which reduces the number of devices tuned in at any one time.

Is this taken into account? I'm not sure more individuals by head count are watching the same spectacle at night.

Yes but people at pubs and BBQs aren't paying attention to the commercials. Better to have them on the couch in their own homes where they'll be captive to the consumerist brainwashing in between goals.

They should do it. Even as an example one year night GF, the next year a day one and alternate. A least have a crack, it would be awesome imo. Especially a historic one.

Imagine a Collingwood-Essendon Night GF. Or when they do become good again which is soon, a Collingwood-Carlton GF.

A Collingwood-Essendon Day GF would be the same thing.

Use other matches to get gimmicky and attract new fans. Leave the GF alone.

Why would a Collingwood-Essendon or Collingwood-Carlton game be any more awesome than one involving other teams?

Why would a Collingwood-Essendon or Collingwood-Carlton game be any more awesome than one involving other teams?

Cause they are Victorian. Durrrrrrr.

But seriously.

Some posters on here don't realize some of the most followed teams in the country aren't from their neighborhood.

The atmosphere of night games is much better. September is a damn fine time of year to be outside at night. The game will be more accessible to more people. and only reason the grand final is traditionally a day game is because football was invented before stadium lighting.

The only problem i see with a night grand final is the formalities and presentations and celebrating after the game will push fairly late into the night which is why twilight is a good option as well. or have an earlier night start time say 6:00pm

Could make the case for Collingwood-Carlton having a long history behind them (especially in GFs), being a rivalry that has extended for over 100 years now.

Gil going against every piece of polling ever done by every media organisation with his recommendation

Gil is a disaster for footy, worse than Demetriou and he was horrid. They are men who both left the real football world and dragged it into the money making ideals before THINKING ABOUT the benefit to football.
A nest of snakes with expansion , and with a lower standard of some players, and rules that are there to help that lower standard out, they have made the game a frustration to watch, they have tried to change and open the game up by zones but what the majority of fans were asking for last year, was some clarification on the grey grey grey rules where by one team won a grand final because of a mark after his team mate blatantly blocked the marking players opponent.
I have said for years an umpires confusion and mis reading of play with these grey rules will win and lose a grand final, one day! Now its happened it did!

Little note... wouldn't have liked to have had a big bet on the loser! There's a little side thought about gambling an calling frees????? No it hasn't happened yet I don't think but it was witnessed to be able to happen , long bow?? NAH!

I don't care what anyone says, about me, but I'm not blind and I see confusion & mistakes galore . Also certain players favoured in umpiring no names but serious football followers know them, and every team has them, that in itself is another story altogether , and may reflect the AFL's reasoning to promote and pump up, and over done promotion of certain individuals for marketing, have I drawn a long bow??? I think not!

I do remember players from past eras who would not play night football, because of vision, I remember some who hate and still do some of the twilight games because the atmosphere of the air changes, it just does, for some and it can lose a game for some teams .

I saw quite a few night football games at Albert Park South Melbourne, I saw Verdun Howell stand with knees on my hero John Pecks back right in front of me, down there, it was fun but never anything more than a bit of extra play and maybe wages for players then.
So night footy doesn't worry me personally, but Grand Finals do, they should be on a Saturday afternoon for tradition , as well as better playing conditions, and the whole day and the afternoon /evening celebrations and commiserations, that is what Australian Rules are all about, take all that tradition and enjoyment away and you start the snowball rolling, to completely ending that special one day , that means so much to us .
Even if your team is not playing, Vics anyway go insane on GF week. It will balls up the whole thing, it just will.

Personally the day Gil McGlaglan is removed from that position and the day that some highly paid hangers on in admin are told to go away, and the clubs and the members actually get some serious power over OUR game again, will be the best thing that ever happens. If it doesn't we won't recognise the game at all, and people say that all sports develop and they do, BUT NOT FOR THE WORST! that is what will happen to Aussie rules, AFLX and all the nonsense with the rules.
I was happy like you wouldn't believe when the TV boys like Healy and Brown etc started talking about congestion and un believable doubtful free kick calls because of grey area rules , I thought then when the AFL stepped in and said we will look at the state of the game I thought YES!!!!
The whole aspect of Aussie rules at the top level, needs to grass roots, itself back to proper footy, no more ripping the physical part out of it, no more bleeding office workers making up new rules and having umpires have to decide in a split second, also having rules THAT ARE NOT NEEDED IN THE GAME, complicating the simple footy game as it should be, how often does an instant replay on TV or the big screen show umpire mistakes, too often, that is what you see , too many that is not improving the game!
BUT NO! The bas***ds decided to zone off at certain points in the game ,1,2,3,4 quarter starts, and start again after goals, bouncing by umps disappearing, players, stay in positions!
No changing s**t rules like accidental bounce off the lower leg for out on the full, thats one example that has caused mayhem and total unfairness in our game , there are lot more .STILL!
There the football is 2 weeks or so away, and the bleeding AFL have once more hoodwinked the fans, time they were sorted out and the clubs took over properly.
This is my first rant for 2019 , now that nothing has changed we will get frustrated and bamboozled for another year.

WHERE IS A KERRY PACKER TO PUT OUR SPORT BACK WHERE IT WAS, 15 YEARS AGO. SO A MISINTERPRETED FREE KICK DOESN'T WIN ANY MORE GRAND FINALS!

I mean it, the AFL has changed stuff all virtually for 2019.
Razor will still drive us mad , and its not his fault!
Need the adjudicators to take a step back as well, and stop the mouth, which for some makes them quite aggressive and we don't need that outside the fence, but destroying fairness in a sport will create that! Umpires aren't teachers on duty they interpret the rules ONLY!
They also frustrate players , not all but there have been and still are blokes who should not umpire at all!

Gil is the worst administrator the game has seen.. an arrogant bogan applying corporate logic to the running of a sport. How the f*** do we end up with these sorts of people controlling the game?
How has ‘chasing the cash’ in the near term at the expense of tradition gone for other sports? cricket? Rugby union? Rugby league? Let’s follow their lead.
If you want to optimise near term revenues, go with a night grand final. Just be aware that this course of action will also alienate the fans that the success of the game is built on.. the impacts of this won’t be felt immediately, but they will he felt. Good news for Gil is that by the time these people are switching off, not renewing memberships, putting their kids into different sports, etc. he’ll have hit his revenue targets and walked off with his bonus for a job well done.

Probably because traditionally and arguably currently - certainly Coll and Ess they're high profile clubs. It would be a very popular GF as they have been in the past, more so than a North v St Kilda for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naaah **** em

There's a role for growing the game sure. Not at the expense if millions of diehard fans though. If people need to be enticed away from reality TV to watch the AFL GF, they dont matter.
Couldn't agree more. If the only measure of success is rating and an increase in casual TV viewers (and Gil's end-of-year bonus), then yeah a twilight/night GF is probably the choice.

A bump in ratings mean nothing to Johnny Footygoer.

I haven't heard many argue the QUALITY of the day would be better as a twilight game.

No extra money for AFL with twilight or night GF as money for existing media deal already signed. Only extra money is for Channel 7 thru selling higher priced ads during the game.
I dont want 7 making any more money that won’t be shared with AFL

maybe the one where Shuey got his head ripped off but didnt get a free? :p:kissingheart:

Or the one where Howe was caught in the goal square and wasn't penalized, or the Ryan or Rioli block that wasn't paid (I'm guessing this is the decision referred to)? Point is I'm replying to a speculation - yeah there have been some questionable "non" decisions in the last GF as there have been in others and not just GF's . We'll never know the outcome if those decisions were paid................ yes it's possible or even likely that the result may have been different.

Guess what I'm sayin in reply is that yes the umps are confused at times but to label that as stripping away a premiership is drawing a very very long bow.

Gil is a disaster for footy, worse than Demetriou and he was horrid. They are men who both left the real football world and dragged it into the money making ideals before THINKING ABOUT the benefit to football.
A nest of snakes with expansion , and with a lower standard of some players, and rules that are there to help that lower standard out, they have made the game a frustration to watch, they have tried to change and open the game up by zones but what the majority of fans were asking for last year, was some clarification on the grey grey grey rules where by one team won a grand final because of a mark after his team mate blatantly blocked the marking players opponent.
I have said for years an umpires confusion and mis reading of play with these grey rules will win and lose a grand final, one day! Now its happened it did!

Little note... wouldn't have liked to have had a big bet on the loser! There's a little side thought about gambling an calling frees????? No it hasn't happened yet I don't think but it was witnessed to be able to happen , long bow?? NAH!

I don't care what anyone says, about me, but I'm not blind and I see confusion & mistakes galore . Also certain players favoured in umpiring no names but serious football followers know them, and every team has them, that in itself is another story altogether , and may reflect the AFL's reasoning to promote and pump up, and over done promotion of certain individuals for marketing, have I drawn a long bow??? I think not!

I do remember players from past eras who would not play night football, because of vision, I remember some who hate and still do some of the twilight games because the atmosphere of the air changes, it just does, for some and it can lose a game for some teams .

I saw quite a few night football games at Albert Park South Melbourne, I saw Verdun Howell stand with knees on my hero John Pecks back right in front of me, down there, it was fun but never anything more than a bit of extra play and maybe wages for players then.
So night footy doesn't worry me personally, but Grand Finals do, they should be on a Saturday afternoon for tradition , as well as better playing conditions, and the whole day and the afternoon /evening celebrations and commiserations, that is what Australian Rules are all about, take all that tradition and enjoyment away and you start the snowball rolling, to completely ending that special one day , that means so much to us .
Even if your team is not playing, Vics anyway go insane on GF week. It will balls up the whole thing, it just will.

Personally the day Gil McGlaglan is removed from that position and the day that some highly paid hangers on in admin are told to go away, and the clubs and the members actually get some serious power over OUR game again, will be the best thing that ever happens. If it doesn't we won't recognise the game at all, and people say that all sports develop and they do, BUT NOT FOR THE WORST! that is what will happen to Aussie rules, AFLX and all the nonsense with the rules.
I was happy like you wouldn't believe when the TV boys like Healy and Brown etc started talking about congestion and un believable doubtful free kick calls because of grey area rules , I thought then when the AFL stepped in and said we will look at the state of the game I thought YES!!!!
The whole aspect of Aussie rules at the top level, needs to grass roots, itself back to proper footy, no more ripping the physical part out of it, no more bleeding office workers making up new rules and having umpires have to decide in a split second, also having rules THAT ARE NOT NEEDED IN THE GAME, complicating the simple footy game as it should be, how often does an instant replay on TV or the big screen show umpire mistakes, too often, that is what you see , too many that is not improving the game!
BUT NO! The bas***ds decided to zone off at certain points in the game ,1,2,3,4 quarter starts, and start again after goals, bouncing by umps disappearing, players, stay in positions!
No changing s**t rules like accidental bounce off the lower leg for out on the full, thats one example that has caused mayhem and total unfairness in our game , there are lot more .STILL!
There the football is 2 weeks or so away, and the bleeding AFL have once more hoodwinked the fans, time they were sorted out and the clubs took over properly.
This is my first rant for 2019 , now that nothing has changed we will get frustrated and bamboozled for another year.

WHERE IS A KERRY PACKER TO PUT OUR SPORT BACK WHERE IT WAS, 15 YEARS AGO. SO A MISINTERPRETED FREE KICK DOESN'T WIN ANY MORE GRAND FINALS!

I mean it, the AFL has changed stuff all virtually for 2019.
Razor will still drive us mad , and its not his fault!
Need the adjudicators to take a step back as well, and stop the mouth, which for some makes them quite aggressive and we don't need that outside the fence, but destroying fairness in a sport will create that! Umpires aren't teachers on duty they interpret the rules ONLY!
They also frustrate players , not all but there have been and still are blokes who should not umpire at all!

Dear Mr. President. There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot!

Would you like to point out the umpiring decision in which GF that you're talking about?

Yours brother? And you know it. The mark that should have been a free to a Collingwood defender was paid to WCE and gave them the shot on goal;, a good kick to be sure, from the WCE player, the point was it should not have been a mark , because his team mate gave a free kick away to make the mark happen.

Now with the pedantics of the game in this era, and the greyed up rules, for the way umpires have to interpret them in that split second with them being so ambiguous in these times is a fact that I am talking about.
No I didn't put money on anyone of those two teams, I am not bitter about the win or loss, but for the decision that created the win and loss, when the ball should have been kicked in the other direction , instead of a shot on goal. Because? WCE player infringed on a Collingwood defender who could not carry out his role.
It wasn't a shepherding, it was a block, and you argue til the cows come home anyone, this kind of stuff happens all YEAR all SEASON, many rules are ambiguous now days. THERE SHOULD BE ONLY STRAIGHT FORWARD EASY READ RULES, for every ones sake.

But long term old whingers like me get sick of witnessing it , and witness it we do til it spoils some games rotten, and the AFL want to fix it they say
and DID NOTHING!!!

So I just commented on that fact, that like I said a few long years back, when the rules began to get fiddled with.

" It'll happen in a grand final one day"

And it bloody well did.

Or the one where Howe was caught in the goal square and wasn't penalized, or the Ryan or Rioli block that wasn't paid (I'm guessing this is the decision referred to)? Point is I'm replying to a speculation - yeah there have been some questionable "non" decisions in the last GF as there have been in others and not just GF's . We'll never know the outcome if those decisions were paid................ yes it's possible or even likely that the result may have been different.

Guess what I'm sayin in reply is that yes the umps are confused at times but to label that as stripping away a premiership is drawing a very very long bow.

I am glad you are seeing what I am talking about, the fact that non decisions and bad decisions and normal decisions occur , its the numbers that all fans can revert back to, the numbers of decisions that you find in replays just weren't there. Or never get called if they were, every week!
It happens much much more than it did 15 or 20 years ago!

We, I suppose should wonder why, and wonder why interpretation can give a win or a loss, and that mis interpretation goes on in all matches now.

Then all season???? The whistle is a stomach jumper , because you don't know what the hell will be called by an ump, how often do you sit with someone and say that was a free, and he /she says nah he didn't get him over the shoulder or in the back, or he dropped ball, naaaah he was caught with holding the ball, no he didn't handball it , he threw it!!! How long did he hold that mark for oooh s**t that out on the full was an accident?????

That is the amount of stuff that is supposed to make fans enjoy the argument, I don;t think so at all. For me and I'm a lifelong football supporter , if something drops my team off the course to victory or at least trying, then I don't want nothing free kicks or stupid ly interpreted rules mangling that chance. It has since the early 2000's . Now really, I've seen the responses to my comments and have most years, but I have to say my love of our game is that strong, that I see some horrid flaws in how this is not addressed.

I guess what I am saying , is administrators see it, the footy commentators see it some talk on it, why not bloody pea brain Gil?

The answer for me is easy, it's nonsensical rules they won't fix, , but have set up for god knows why the last 15 years by the AFL admin know nothings, dressed in suits and ties! Sitting in an office with maybe a touch of football experience in them?????

Now I'll tell you, you very sporting like Carringbush person that you are, what is being stripped away, is the fairness, by , you know what, greyed up rules that are hard to judge and yes long bow or short bow, it changed a result last year .
Quite an important one , the problem is it could be argued both ways, and it has been, by other instances of messed up calls , during that game, because of ambiguous rulings.
But you appear to have gotten over it and that is fine, because it seems there is nothing to be done now, well?????
Except maybe cut some of these grey rule nonsenses out of the game , and simplify it.

One comment about umps and their mouths, that I see sometimes, there are still one or two annoying fellows, but I believe Goldspink helped create a situation of anger and frustration and patronising blabber from his mouth, that I reckon caused the Line in the Sand war , with Hawthorn and Essendon
So try that one on for size PEOPLE?, Seen but never heard , that is what umps should be doing.

A bit of banter and fun as = RAZOR AND HODGEY HAVE HAD IN THE PAST, IS FINE.

BUT I RECKON A COUPLE OF HAWKS WHO WERE BEING TARGETED THAT DAY, WERE READY TO MURDER GOLDSPINK ?

I'm a big fan of the twilight grand final. 12.30 has become increasingly too early a start and i find myself rushing around getting prepared.

A 2.30-3 start in Perth sounds ideal.
I've just never seen a convincing argument against a twilight GF. each argument seems pretty shallow. But for Perth based fans, for us, it's just better in every way.

This is the only reason I can see to justify moving the GF.

let the hierarchy squirm a little bit before they announce things.. just let them explain their intentions and tell them
that we don't want them to just jump in and BOLD the game until we have had our say...
okay that say is that we aren't sure but we are going to make you pay for it... It is not a bad idea but it is
going to take a lot for Gil to attach this to the form where clubs will sign on the dotted line...

not saying no but not saying yes either... it is kind of silly to just throw it out there and not ask the fans...

a referendum of all club members of all clubs and so on.. it makes sense.. even I understand myself... there you go..

travel on.. people..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back