Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am glad you are seeing what I am talking about, the fact that non decisions and bad decisions and normal decisions occur , its the numbers that all fans can revert back to, the numbers of decisions that you find in replays just weren't there. Or never get called if they were, every week!
It happens much much more than it did 15 or 20 years ago!

We, I suppose should wonder why, and wonder why interpretation can give a win or a loss, and that mis interpretation goes on in all matches now.

Then all season???? The whistle is a stomach jumper , because you don't know what the hell will be called by an ump, how often do you sit with someone and say that was a free, and he /she says nah he didn't get him over the shoulder or in the back, or he dropped ball, naaaah he was caught with holding the ball, no he didn't handball it , he threw it!!! How long did he hold that mark for oooh s**t that out on the full was an accident?????

That is the amount of stuff that is supposed to make fans enjoy the argument, I don;t think so at all. For me and I'm a lifelong football supporter , if something drops my team off the course to victory or at least trying, then I don't want nothing free kicks or stupid ly interpreted rules mangling that chance. It has since the early 2000's . Now really, I've seen the responses to my comments and have most years, but I have to say my love of our game is that strong, that I see some horrid flaws in how this is not addressed.

I guess what I am saying , is administrators see it, the footy commentators see it some talk on it, why not bloody pea brain Gil?

The answer for me is easy, it's nonsensical rules they won't fix, , but have set up for god knows why the last 15 years by the AFL admin know nothings, dressed in suits and ties! Sitting in an office with maybe a touch of football experience in them?????

Now I'll tell you, you very sporting like Carringbush person that you are, what is being stripped away, is the fairness, by , you know what, greyed up rules that are hard to judge and yes long bow or short bow, it changed a result last year .
Quite an important one , the problem is it could be argued both ways, and it has been, by other instances of messed up calls , during that game, because of ambiguous rulings.
But you appear to have gotten over it and that is fine, because it seems there is nothing to be done now, well?????
Except maybe cut some of these grey rule nonsenses out of the game , and simplify it.

One comment about umps and their mouths, that I see sometimes, there are still one or two annoying fellows, but I believe Goldspink helped create a situation of anger and frustration and patronising blabber from his mouth, that I reckon caused the Line in the Sand war , with Hawthorn and Essendon
So try that one on for size PEOPLE?, Seen but never heard , that is what umps should be doing.

A bit of banter and fun as = RAZOR AND HODGEY HAVE HAD IN THE PAST, IS FINE.

BUT I RECKON A COUPLE OF HAWKS WHO WERE BEING TARGETED THAT DAY, WERE READY TO MURDER GOLDSPINK ?
I give you a hundred points for your well thought out diatribe.. it is hard to get people to listen when you have good things to say...

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cause they are Victorian. Durrrrrrr.

But seriously.

Some posters on here don't realize some of the most followed teams in the country aren't from their neighborhood.
hmm trikes were popular with all kids from all states and also lollipops, and also icy poles.. those things like frozen squares.. and
those liquorice strips.. so if you have those then you aren't different.. just a bit older or younger as it appears..

scary isn't it..

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I give you a hundred points for your well thought out diatribe.. it is hard to get people to listen when you have good things to say...

I know I rave on. But I can tell you honestly I love our game, but I never thought it would frustrate me so badly as it does now days, and I feel reasonably disappointed that it has gone to so over adjudicated , at times nonsense.

It never was meant to,and it never should and it is unique to our country.

Yet half brains in the AFL want to export bleeding AFLX over seas.

Didn't Gaelic football begin the de bruising of our real game.

Export real Australian rules football , the stuff that people would say......." I'd like to see that !"

I see in the paper this morning that the majority of people polled or asked , have said they would prefer the GF to remain on Sat afternoon, I wonder what the AFL will say to that, next Thursday?
There is no question in my mind. Or even no reason to ask such a question, just why do they want to piddle around again. Ask yourselves that. This admin should go!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This is the only reason I can see to justify moving the GF.

Perth audiences????????????? There's only a few numbers above a million people in WA, there is more than 4 mill in Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane next in line, how does changing something that doesn't need changing help anyone, except for WA-ites that seem to believe the sun shines only on you, how can 12.30 PM be "increasingly early", it is as early at 12.30 PM EXACTLY THE SAME TIME EVERY YEAR. Yep, ITS AT 12.30 in dear old WA.

Its not about a State with few people, its about a tradition of Sat afternoon sport. How could you worry about a 2 hour difference. Its not worth the bother.
Any way GF day begins about 7am in Melbourne!

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
We didn't 'need' immunisations or fluoride in tap water, but once the options came along we acknowledged they were pretty great and convenient to do.

Closer the game starts to night the more people will watch. Indisputable.

Hahndozer

Team Captain
May 4, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We didn't 'need' immunisations or fluoride in tap water, but once the options came along we acknowledged they were pretty great and convenient to do.

Ok. Let’s accept that as indisputable.

How does that make your Grand Final day better?

Tell me why a twilight game is better, without using the word “ratings”.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I am glad you are seeing what I am talking about, the fact that non decisions and bad decisions and normal decisions occur , its the numbers that all fans can revert back to, the numbers of decisions that you find in replays just weren't there. Or never get called if they were, every week!
It happens much much more than it did 15 or 20 years ago!

We, I suppose should wonder why, and wonder why interpretation can give a win or a loss, and that mis interpretation goes on in all matches now.

Then all season???? The whistle is a stomach jumper , because you don't know what the hell will be called by an ump, how often do you sit with someone and say that was a free, and he /she says nah he didn't get him over the shoulder or in the back, or he dropped ball, naaaah he was caught with holding the ball, no he didn't handball it , he threw it!!! How long did he hold that mark for oooh s**t that out on the full was an accident?????

That is the amount of stuff that is supposed to make fans enjoy the argument, I don;t think so at all. For me and I'm a lifelong football supporter , if something drops my team off the course to victory or at least trying, then I don't want nothing free kicks or stupid ly interpreted rules mangling that chance. It has since the early 2000's . Now really, I've seen the responses to my comments and have most years, but I have to say my love of our game is that strong, that I see some horrid flaws in how this is not addressed.

I guess what I am saying , is administrators see it, the footy commentators see it some talk on it, why not bloody pea brain Gil?

The answer for me is easy, it's nonsensical rules they won't fix, , but have set up for god knows why the last 15 years by the AFL admin know nothings, dressed in suits and ties! Sitting in an office with maybe a touch of football experience in them?????

Now I'll tell you, you very sporting like Carringbush person that you are, what is being stripped away, is the fairness, by , you know what, greyed up rules that are hard to judge and yes long bow or short bow, it changed a result last year .
Quite an important one , the problem is it could be argued both ways, and it has been, by other instances of messed up calls , during that game, because of ambiguous rulings.
But you appear to have gotten over it and that is fine, because it seems there is nothing to be done now, well?????
Except maybe cut some of these grey rule nonsenses out of the game , and simplify it.

One comment about umps and their mouths, that I see sometimes, there are still one or two annoying fellows, but I believe Goldspink helped create a situation of anger and frustration and patronising blabber from his mouth, that I reckon caused the Line in the Sand war , with Hawthorn and Essendon
So try that one on for size PEOPLE?, Seen but never heard , that is what umps should be doing.

A bit of banter and fun as = RAZOR AND HODGEY HAVE HAD IN THE PAST, IS FINE.

BUT I RECKON A COUPLE OF HAWKS WHO WERE BEING TARGETED THAT DAY, WERE READY TO MURDER GOLDSPINK ?

I'm not disagreeing that some rules are "grey" and what seems to be "nothing to see here" attitude from HQ. Just like Howe caught with the ball in the oppos goal square that wasn't paid.

Even though the result would likely be different we can't know for sure. And while the "greyed" umpiring is generally of poor standard and the rules difficult to adjudicate no one can possibly be convinced they were the sole reason for losing the game or being "stripped of the premiership" and can't be used as an excuse.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
VFL grandpas will be sooking

One day you might find a lady willing to * you and then you might have kids. Then yr priorities for GF day might change.

See, I can be a dick for no reason too.

First of all I don't think TV viewer numbers should be the reason these changes are made. Second of all, it is not indisputable in the slightest.

The first part of your post is a ******* stupid argument. Comparing fluoride or immunisations to a footy match? What is the matter with you!?

Mr B

Debutant
Jul 20, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Scorchers
Probably because traditionally and arguably currently - certainly Coll and Ess they're high profile clubs. It would be a very popular GF as they have been in the past, more so than a North v St Kilda for example.

See now, there I choose to disagree. The crowd numbers are pretty similar no matter which teams are playing. And all the supporters of Victorian teams assure us that that crowd is made up of various "corporates" and MCC members, and then similar numbers of ticket holders from the two competing teams. (You know, to make sure that there is no overwhelming home ground support for a Victorian team.) Therefore, any grand final combination is going to be just as awesome as any other.

Unless, of course, one of the competing teams is Melbourne. You might expect them to have more support from the MCC members. :)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Australians are too ******* lazy to stop any changes. All it would take is a couple thousand people protesting AFL house to make a difference but no one cares enough.
They'll ring 3aw an bitch but no one does enough to stop anything

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Australians are too ******* lazy to stop any changes. All it would take is a couple thousand people protesting AFL house to make a difference but no one cares enough.
kind of true, we`re the opposite to the french in regard to opposing or complaining about stuff.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Dude it's moving the start time of a game of footy by a couple of hours. Maybe most people aren't nut jobs, have lives and some perspective.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Dude it's moving the start time of a game of footy by a couple of hours. Maybe most people aren't nut jobs, have lives and some perspective.

Righto then let em change everything if it's such a stupid game.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The crowd numbers are pretty similar no matter which teams are playing

Never stated differently, the GF is the GF and people are going to watch it. Just because one would be more popular because of higher profile teams doesn't mean it will have higher crowd numbers (which is uber minimal because the ground is always full anyway) or higher TV ratings.

It's the GF and the world will watch with a full MCG and full lounge suites, regardless of teams or time of day.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm not disagreeing that some rules are "grey" and what seems to be "nothing to see here" attitude from HQ. Just like Howe caught with the ball in the oppos goal square that wasn't paid.

Even though the result would likely be different we can't know for sure. And while the "greyed" umpiring is generally of poor standard and the rules difficult to adjudicate no one can possibly be convinced they were the sole reason for losing the game or being "stripped of the premiership" and can't be used as an excuse.

Of course, I understand that, but in all games timing of situations is totally unpredictable , which for me is the whole point that grey rules need to be wiped from the game, and there are many , a block or a shepherd? ( in all this list there will be the fact of umpire perception in the split second point being there shouldn't be room for drastic repeated mistakes, because ??? THEY MAY WIN OR LOSE A GAME.
In the back, over the shoulder , around the neck hands in the back bent arm in the back, diving on a player from behind sometimes called in the back sometimes called caught with the ball, now with caught with the ball that also has many different avenues for an umpire to make a mistake, caught with, is it holding or is it holding the man in that split second where the umpire does not see properly the action of the tackled player what if he does legally get rid of it.
How many times in games do you see illegal disposal, when you know it is not, and you see it if you are an opposition spectator for or against your own
mob, how often at a game or on TV when you comment with an oppo supporter and you or they will say, gee our bloke was lucky there, how is it when that may create a score , you see to me I have been noticing this sort of thing for so many years now, that I thought last year when the AFL WANTED TO REVIEW THE WAY THE GAME LOOKED THAT THEY MAY ACTUALLY ALSO LOOK AT THE RULES???
Many of which are simply not needed, like the twisting of the out on the full rule. The Magpie Eagles last free, what if that was a player losing balance or spinning to pick the ball up , his opponent clashes physically with him and his leg or boot taps the ball when he isn't even aware, and it pops out on the full from about 30 cm out. What happened in the grand final was no better and no worse than that stupidity of the twisted Out On The Full. ( I've seen it happen,) many times over the last few years. Strangely and I saw it when Hawthorn played Fitzroy I think Fitzroy maybe Footscray many years ago in a final, where someone gave my mob Hawthorn a free very close to goal it won us the game, because of a fitzroy or footscray player deliberately moved out of bounds, it was pretty blatant action but even the Hawks couldn't believe the call maybe Brad Hardie would remember that?
NOW THAT CALL I NEVER SAW AGAIN UNTIL THE LAST 10 TO 15 YEARS, WHEN THEY ABUSED THE REASON FOR OUT ON THE FULL or defending by taking the ball out, DELIBERATELY OK IF THEY HAVE TO, but the stuff they call with guess work is an abomination of fairness, once you could pick a free , now when that goddamned whistle blows you are waiting to see what the umpire will call or how he saw it. THE WHISTLE!!! , its like Brando screaming STELLA!!!!
Look I won't go on, I could pick instances out that I've witnessed over the last few years and the amount of stupid unnecessary unfair free kicks also I know umpires were rubbished for ever , its just the fun is gone from the game because the umpiring has been turned into bulldust calls by administration rule changes to the game, for the game to get less physical and less like football.
That's what and why I get really angry and never shut up about it. Because what I've said years ago happened, ours is a simple tough game thats what fans want, and, its why sometimes I say where is another Kerry Packer to buy up 12 or 14 AFL clubs and make a real national comp again instead of this diluted rubbish they are selling to our kids as well as that stinking AFLX CRAP TOO.
My adult sons range from 26 to 41 three of them one of them the oldest barely watches any more and they are all members, now I don't like knoewing that 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 years olds will grow up with NO IDEA OF REAL TOP LEVEL AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL. Because this stuff now is keepings off bruise free, and the AFL had a chance to fix it, they haven't all they've done is open the ground up with zones, stupisd not needed frees are still there in horrid numbers , the whistle kills the game, because these bastards have let our game be stopped every few seconds and the flow is dead.
Now wouldn't it be nice to go back to hard quick tough football, forget the excuse that they clash into each other like motor vehicle collisions , they always have , that means nothing. Our game is hard, play it amateur or pro and its hard, I 've played in lower league footy where they ( and this is a joke) don't bring the ball out til three quarter time ( ha ha ha)
We used to go to Brunswick and Thornbury and you fought most of the bloody day, we don't need that , but these guys know the risks!Take it easy mate no harm meant but the game is so changed now.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Righto then let em change everything if it's such a stupid game.
they are doing this.
well, most things

personally, don't care.
Day, night, dawn, morning - ill watch it whenever its played.

Not keen on them extending half time out to cater for a musical act, given we rarely get anyone decent, and the G is a terrible music venue.
but if the lasers, fireworks, lights, etc, all work better at night, and that's what they want to do. go nuts.

Maybe with this, we can scrap AFLX, JLT and extend the season, and push the finals to all night games and get ourselves an even draw one day

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
the 2nd half in night is a terrible spectacle. i just dont want to see a GF played during the night

if they moved the time to 3:30-345 i wouldnt mind, have the 2nd half in twilight.

night finals suck!!!

Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
they are doing this.
well, most things

personally, don't care.
Day, night, dawn, morning - ill watch it whenever its played.

Not keen on them extending half time out to cater for a musical act, given we rarely get anyone decent, and the G is a terrible music venue.
but if the lasers, fireworks, lights, etc, all work better at night, and that's what they want to do. go nuts.

Maybe with this, we can scrap AFLX, JLT and extend the season, and push the finals to all night games and get ourselves an even draw one day

Derwanye just said on 3AW sports night that it’s about bums on seats at home in states like NSW and QLD that
wouldn’t normally watch at 2.30 so move it to 4.30 like that will make a difference WTF is he on about

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Derwanye just said on 3AW sports night that it’s about bums on seats at home in states like NSW and QLD that
wouldn’t normally watch at 2.30 so move it to 4.30 like that will make a difference WTF is he on about

I know I don't give a s**t about the NBL but now they've moved the Grand Final 2 hours I'm the biggest fan on earth..

Back