twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

Only way this won't bother me will be if it's a 3:20 start with a 6:00 finish so they use their beloved yellow footy and present medals under lights.
Can anybody give me a legitimate explanation as to why the NRL grand final is any better because it's at night? Or why it's a better spectacle than the AFL grand final because it's played under lights?
Odd comparison, but the best atmosphere I've experienced at a sporting event in a long time was the BBL grand final last month which was played at 2:45pm. The sweeping daylight and eventu setting sun only added to it.

One more quick thing. Who here has been lucky enough to see their team play in a grand final?? Most of us aside from Giants and Suns fans. Have you ever not been completely shitting yourselves with nerves at half time? (West Coast and Swans supporters in '14 and '15 excluded). Imagine your team is tied at half time after staging a comeback with all the momentum. Now half time has been extended to 30 minutes to allow for the Justin Bieber comeback performance. Will you watch it? Absolutely not. The concept also suggests that any music artist the AFL could get would be of interest to the majority of the audience. Aside from The Killers, there has never been an act seemingly universally praised. And that was only because they fit both the older and younger demographic. They cannot nail it ever year and it's remarkable that the entertainment portion could help dictate this decision because of it.

One more quick thing. Who here has been lucky enough to see their team play in a grand final?? Most of us aside from Giants and Suns fans. Have you ever not been completely shitting yourselves with nerves at half time? (West Coast and Swans supporters in '14 and '15 excluded). Imagine your team is tied at half time after staging a comeback with all the momentum. Now half time has been extended to 30 minutes to allow for the Justin Bieber comeback performance. Will you watch it? Absolutely not. The concept also suggests that any music artist the AFL could get would be of interest to the majority of the audience. Aside from The Killers, there has never been an act seemingly universally praised. And that was only because they fit both the older and younger demographic. They cannot nail it ever year and it's remarkable that the entertainment portion could help dictate this decision because of it.

I went last year. Half time for me was queuing up for a piss and then queuing up for 4 beers to see me out the 2nd half. Great day and I'm glad it was during the day. Eagles won the last legitimate flag before the introduction of 6-6-6 Zoneball and 100m penalties and possibly the last legitimate flag before twilight and night grand finals. All future flags to have asterisks beside them and count for nothing.

There are a few things I remember distinctly from the 2017 GF in relation to this
* I walked in, saw the stage and recognised it as being for pre game entertainment. Then completely forgot about said entertainment until it started
* The half time performance was literally just background noise
* I forgot about the post game show until they started putting fences out as we were still celebrating in the stands

The only entertainment outside of the game I remembered and paid attention to was the GF sprint.
The entertainment is simply not for those in the stands. That’s why I reckon the AFL could get away with doing it at Docklands for all I care. Have the full ground to use. Have it under a closed roof so it looks like night. Even sell bloody tickets to it if they want - because the people at the game aren’t going to give a s**t.

^
That’s not a bad idea. Docklands owned by AFL should get 2 massive largest in the world screens and put them on each centre wing and sell tickets to watch the game their with roof closed and pregame and post game concerts.
On tv the coverage of concerts can be shown.

I sure hope they don't use entertainment as an argument for changing the timeslot. That's pathetic.

The bottom line is the game will be accessible to more people if the timeslot is later and there's no reason the game was set traditionally to daytime other than the fact that football was invented before stadium lighting. it should be at night except that the after game presentations take a while so it probably needs to start earlier to compensate for that, hence the twilight.

It is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to grow the game and will probably get them an extra Billion in the next tv broadcast rights deal.

The quickest and easiest way to grow the game in the northern states is for Sydney / GWS and Brisbane / Gold Coast to become bitter rivals. Get the kids picking sides in the primary school playground. That's genuine, long term, died in the wool and sustainable.

There are some weak arguments against changing to a twilight fixture here
Really?

I think "Leave it as it is. It's perfect just the way it is" is a very sound argument for maintaining status quo

I've yet to see any decent argument why people want to change it. I'm still waiting for someone to enlighten me.

but Robbo's tops it (on 360 last night)

Apparently we should keep as a day game because "in 30 years time some-one overseas will say " how about that crazy little game in Australia that still has its grand final in the day time""

I kid you fn not that was his argument
That wasn't his argument. That was just his quirky roundabout way of saying "The rest of the world plays their football at night under lights, but why do we have to follow suit? Why can't we continue to do it differently? This is OUR tradition. Let's keep it instead of being sheep and following everyone else"

Robbo often goes off the rails and speaks borderline nonsense when trying to make a simple point. I think that's his idea of being Mr Entertainment.

Last edited:
While we are talking about getting rid of tradition, why not change a few rules as well, let's throw the ball instead of handpassing, let's run the ball though the goals instead of kicking it, then maybe we will get a few more northern staters watching, after all, that's what they want isn't it?

I’ve always liked day footy.
What the hell do you do during the day anyway? Nothing important yet there is ALWAYS something happening on a Saturday night.
Having it at night just wastes a whole day. Having it during the day does not waste a night.
Also kids, country people etc. it’s horrible to have it at night.
Twilight is no good either, I don’t want dinner at half time.
I want to watch footy during the day when nothing else is really happening. Celebrate the immediate aftermath. Go out have dinner than party at night.
It’s the perfect friggin day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m actually confused...

1. Won’t the pre game entertainment still be in the daylight?

2. We don’t do half time shows currently and with what a 20
Minute break how is it possible? Not to mention the ground can’t have a rent a crowd and stage brought out like synthetic turf nfl can.

3. If those reasons are irrelevant then why change it? Surely night or day. Twilight is shocking

I’ve always liked day footy.
What the hell do you do during the day anyway? Nothing important yet there is ALWAYS something happening on a Saturday night.
Having it at night just wastes a whole day. Having it during the day does not waste a night.
Also kids, country people etc. it’s horrible to have it at night.
Twilight is no good either, I don’t want dinner at half time.
I want to watch footy during the day when nothing else is really happening. Celebrate the immediate aftermath. Go out have dinner than party at night.
It’s the perfect friggin day!

Some Grand Finals free up our afternoons, anyway...

2007feelsbadport.png

Wouldn't be fussed if it was a twilight game. Can still do the usual beers + bbq + kicking the footy outside routine before the game.

Wouldn't want a night GF though.

To Channel 7 and Foxtel, I would say the following:

Our Australian game was here and being played on beautiful Saturday arvos long before your business was even thought of.

You are nothing without the game, not vice versa. Footy will continue to be played and give joy to millions of Australians long after traditional television and its reality MAFS/MKR garbage is forgotten.

So you can **** off and keep your mitts off our game.

To Channel 7 and Foxtel, I would say the following:

Our Australian game was here and being played on beautiful Saturday arvos long before your business was even thought of.

You are nothing without the game, not vice versa. Footy will continue to be played and give joy to millions of Australians long after traditional television and its reality MAFS/MKR garbage is forgotten.

So you can **** off and keep your mitts off our game.

7 and Foxtel completely ruined cricket in Australia . Let’s not repeat the same mistakes and allow it to ruin afl.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back