twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't do it Gil
Gill doesn’t care about us. We’re just plebs to be played.

He can’t deliver in the things that matter, like grass roots football, so we get rubbish like AFLX and twilight GFs.

No substance... just bells and whistles.

Gill is just your typical privileged, elite schoolboy who has got into the position he’s in because of who he knows, not what he knows.

Meatloaf at night is still Meatloaf etc.

Yep, and whether at a football game or not, fireworks are still only entertaining to children and simpletons.

Some years I've been lucky to be cracking my first beer as the game starts, with people still getting organised.

Pushing it back to a 2:30 start doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, chance for a few drinks and a chat pregame, still plenty of light to kick the footy at half time.....

WA says screw you traditionalists, bring on the future 👍.

Screw it. Let's try it this year and see how it goes.

For People in Perth its welcomed. Last year I was blind drunk, standing on the table at the bar with my Eagles jersey, mimicking Barass with a fake premiership cup by 3pm. It's just too early for that kind of behavior.

Afl chairman wossname says ‘ if you move it’s for the right reasons’ Yet only gives the reason for better halftime entertainment.

They get more people tuning in to pot the entertainment, can present increased viewer numbers= KPI s and more take home for them

Crap AFL entertainment is crap entertainment no matter what time it’s on. I guarantee it will be potted mercilessly online
Suspect people are already seeing Super Bowl entertainment as ‘over the hill’ NRL is more like what we will get. There’s been one memorable I know about in the last 30 years.

Btw night footy is streets ahead of twilight. Twilight really is ‘fake news’

When the tradition for having a day grand final was born there was also a tradition of not telecasting the game on TV....

Biggest non issue in the game atm. Don't really care when it is, except being in WA I wouldn't mind getting the lunch bbq out of the way before the game started.

Screw it. Let's try it this year and see how it goes.

For People in Perth its welcomed. Last year I was blind drunk, standing on the table at the bar with my Eagles jersey, mimicking Barass with a fake premiership cup by 3pm. It's just too early for that kind of behavior.

It’s all for TV ratings in Sydney. There’ll be no “trying” it. If it gets moved it stays.

Can you give some of those reasons?
It's more accessible for families and social outings mainly. Not so much for someone like myself, 28 years old with no kids, I could watch it any time, but for the family of 6 with four kids under 10, day events are much easier to handle.
It's also more accessible for families gathering together with the weather is often friendlier (warmer) in the day, more well lit which promotes being outdoors and out of the house, getting back at a more reasonable hour, etc.
Secondly, in terms of "ratings" which is what this seems to be about, I would argue that passionate AFL fans will watch it any time, so for those new watchers that this will apparently attract in QLD and NSW, do you think they are more or less likely to give up whatever they are doing in the mid-afternoon or evening. I would argue that if you are a casual observer of the AFL, you are less likely to give up your activities on a Saturday evening than mid-afternoon to watch a sport you don't really care for.
Not to mention the old afternoon BBQ and kick the footy at halftime/after the game, but that's more of a traditionalist issue.

Finally, higher ratings does not necessarily equal more viewers. But the AFL will try and convince you it does.
If 20 people used to gather in the afternoon to watch the game on 1 television, but now those 5 families split up and watch it at home because they have young children and it's just easier, maybe the young ones have gone to sleep, or the young 18 year old buck has gone out drinking with his mates in Sydney, you potentially get higher ratings, say 4 different televisions, with less actual people watching. That's just an example.

Ignoring "ratings" which can be manipulated to tell a story the AFL wants - what other reasons are there for having the game at twilight over the afternoon? Keeping in mind every fan survey so far has been against it, and the CEO himself has admitted fans are against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the tradition for having a day grand final was born there was also a tradition of not telecasting the game on TV....

Biggest non issue in the game atm. Don't really care when it is, except being in WA I wouldn't mind getting the lunch bbq out of the way before the game started.

I could cop a minor move to make it better for WA. Maybe a 3:30 start in Melbourne would be a good compromise.

It's more accessible for families and social outings mainly. Not so much for someone like myself, 28 years old with no kids, I could watch it any time, but for the family of 6 with four kids under 10, day events are much easier to handle.
It's also more accessible for families gathering together with the weather is often friendlier (warmer) in the day, more well lit which promotes being outdoors and out of the house, getting back at a more reasonable hour, etc.
Secondly, in terms of "ratings" which is what this seems to be about, I would argue that passionate AFL fans will watch it any time, so for those new watchers that this will apparently attract in QLD and NSW, do you think they are more or less likely to give up whatever they are doing in the mid-afternoon or evening. I would argue that if you are a casual observer of the AFL, you are less likely to give up your activities on a Saturday evening than mid-afternoon to watch a sport you don't really care for.
Not to mention the old afternoon BBQ and kick the footy at halftime/after the game, but that's more of a traditionalist issue.

Finally, higher ratings does not necessarily equal more viewers. But the AFL will try and convince you it does.
If 20 people used to gather in the afternoon to watch the game on 1 television, but now those 5 families split up and watch it at home because they have young children and it's just easier, maybe the young ones have gone to sleep, or the young 18 year old buck has gone out drinking with his mates in Sydney, you potentially get higher ratings, say 4 different televisions, with less actual people watching. That's just an example.

Ignoring "ratings" which can be manipulated to tell a story the AFL wants - what other reasons are there for having the game at twilight over the afternoon? Keeping in mind every fan survey so far has been against it, and the CEO himself has admitted fans are against it.

It's rubbish that a Twilight game starting at 4:40 and ending by 7 isn't good for families, even young kids can stay up till 7pm.

Families can still gather for lunch at 2pm and chill out for 2 hours then the game will be about to start...

Yes, no one is arguing die-hard AFL fans will watch it at whatever time, however casual fans are more likely to watch it later in the day... It's just basic TV facts that shows rate better later in the day, but you can argue that if you want. Also much better for West Australian viewers to start it a few hours later.

The reasons for a Twilight game are simple, more people will watch it and the entertainment will be better. Your reasons against it are utter nonsense. Also, 18 year olds don't go out drinking at 6/7pm...

It’s all about ratings in Sydney. Prime time is prime time for a reason, more people are home later in the day and the ratings among casuals (read: Sydney) would be higher, full stop.

Afl chairman wossname says ‘ if you move it’s for the right reasons’ Yet only gives the reason for better halftime entertainment.

They get more people tuning in to pot the entertainment, can present increased viewer numbers= KPI s and more take home for them

Crap AFL entertainment is crap entertainment no matter what time it’s on. I guarantee it will be potted mercilessly online
Suspect people are already seeing Super Bowl entertainment as ‘over the hill’ NRL is more like what we will get. There’s been one memorable I know about in the last 30 years.

Btw night footy is streets ahead of twilight. Twilight really is ‘fake news’

Herald Sun readers would gnash their teeth if he said it was to get more viewers in NSW and QLD.

Plenty do not give s**t about getting more people watching so "Oh um the entertainment will be better" is trotted out for them.

AFL house see this poll and says, "We're listening to the people, there's 25% who want a twilight GF....."

Melbourne newspaper indicates people living in Melbourne bubble don't want to change anything.

When you start timing GF day around the effects on the entertainment & fireworks over tradition, welcome to America.

Football , meat pies, kangaroos & corndogs.

Cue the fossil talk, who cares.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-09/afl-chairman-goyder-wants-twilight-grand-final

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will deliver his recommendation to the commission, but his position remains unclear. However, he believes that a later start time is "inevitable" at some stage.
"Our broadcasters are important but this is a decision for supporters," McLachlan said on Monday.
"The question is: could it be better by moving it a couple of hours? Twilight is an incredible slot.
"On the other hand, the tradition and history is so important. It won't be a money thing."

oh ho ho ho ho

haahhahahhahhahahhahahhahhahahhahhahhahah

Ok slick.

And a tradition of all a teams supporters attending live. Higher ups getting bored with same old every year yet rusted on fans would just like to be there even once

The existence of this argument signifies a massive disconnect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back