twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really I like changes when they are necessary or when a better alternative arises for the good of the game. That’s evolution.

I don’t like it when they make changes for the sake of it or changes that create further issues.

I think 2pm is the best times slot. But again that’s subjective. What do you think it should be?
To be honest I couldn’t give a s**t. I watch footy at all times of the day.
I see absolutely no reason not to try a twilight grand final though. I find it hilarious that people get so worked up about it when it’s never even happened before.

Anti-nighters don't hate their club getting primetime games during the season. How's this different?
Because in the season Friday/saturday night is when people have time to go do s**t. Saturday afternoon is the domain of local footy. All the local leagues are finished by GF day.
Not many people go ‘oh yeah nah can’t watch the Grand Final, I’m busy’
If they do they usually just don’t care.

Some years I've been lucky to be cracking my first beer as the game starts, with people still getting organised.

Pushing it back to a 2:30 start doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, chance for a few drinks and a chat pregame, still plenty of light to kick the footy at half time.....

WA says screw you traditionalists, bring on the future 👍.
I didn't know you spoke on behalf of the entire population of WA, Governor? Premier? God/King?

no one’s gonna give a s**t what time it’s played if your teams in it - I’m sure supporters abroad don’t have an issue getting up at 2am to watch.
Apparently they do. That is why this suggestion has been opposed for years. Not just fans, but the clubs and the players have also spoken in favour of keeping the Saturday afternoon GF. Of course if your team is playing you will watch it at anytime, Channel 7 knows this, the decision is based on utter contempt for existing fans and designed to appeal to casual fans in NSW and Qld, and primarily of course for Channel 7 to scoop the ratings in prime time and charge a fortune for advertising. Some of this cash will find its way to the AFL and look out for big XMas bonuses for the major administrators and the Board.

I see absolutely no reason not to try a twilight grand final though. I find it hilarious that people get so worked up about it when it’s never even happened before.
No-one is suggesting that a twilight GF will be "tried", Channel 7 have directed the AFL to implement it, even though the current agreement between the AFL and Channel 7 does not include the AFL changing the time of the GF to suit the television station. To be clear, it will not be "tried" it will be brought in -assuming the clubs, players and fans are not strong enough to stand up to the millionaire corporate interests (the AFL will cave in a tweak). Twilight footy has been played before, many times.

Traditionalists will cry and sook about it and be up in arms like it's the end of the world but once it happens you won't hear from them again because it will all be good... Let's get with the times and do it...
I've heard plenty of good reason why people prefer to have the Grand Final played in the afternoon, but I've yet to hear any good reasons why the game should be shifted to night time. Could you list some for me?

Channel 7 have pushed for the later start so they can make more money by selling ads in prime time. Gill says it's not about money, but he is a bald-faced professional liar. I've also heard the AFL make excuses for their shoddy pre-game entertainment and moaning how the NRL have an advantage in staging theirs under lights with fireworks, etc. But what real footy fan gives a toss about that shite?

A twilight GF is just a temporary conditioning process for a 7:30-10:30pm GF. That's the end game for the AFL and Ch 7.

I don't really care to engage in a childish debate with you about "traditionalists" and people "crying & soooking". I just want to know your reasons for preferring a night Grand Final. Why should we change? Convince me.

Pros:
  • fireworks are visible at night
  • $$$$ for Channel 7 with prime time ads and better ratings in NSW/Qld
  • ????????????

Cons:
  • dewy conditions in September make for a lower quality game (more fumbling, harder to mark, etc)
  • problematic for people from the country to attend the game
  • problematic for families to attend the game with young children
  • fewer children watching the game (live or on TV)
  • less time for the winners to celebrate afterwards
  • messing around with one of the great days for people to gather & have a BBQ with friends (or go to the pub) and sink piss

It's nothing to do with "traditionalists". It's more of a declaration by the majority of football fans that we LOVE Grand Final day just how it is, so why do we need to change it? Haven't the AFL executives and TV executives already hi-jacked our great game enough already?

Last edited:
Did they make it more professional or was it the natural progression of clubs and their quest to win flags?

How have the league specifically made it more professional?

I personally think the league has, for years generally been run by a pack of Boy"s Club, buffoons.

The AFL is run by private school old boys but they really did turn things professional at the key moments. The AFL could've ended up like the NRL; regionalised and stymied by club bosses putting their short term interest above everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lmao at a couple of specs of dew potentially on the ground somehow lowering the standard of the game.
You don't know what you're talking about. Melbourne nights in Sept/Oct are always very dewy. Warmer weather followed by clear, cool nights = dew on the ground. It causes greasy conditions and players aren't as sure-handed. It's a legitimate complaint about night finals vs day finals. It's why most of the night finals at the MCG are so s**t from a skills perspective. Daytime footy in spring is MUCH better as a spectacle. There's no comparison.

Last edited:
No-one is suggesting that a twilight GF will be "tried", Channel 7 have directed the AFL to implement it, even though the current agreement between the AFL and Channel 7 does not include the AFL changing the time of the GF to suit the television station. To be clear, it will not be "tried" it will be brought in -assuming the clubs, players and fans are not strong enough to stand up to the millionaire corporate interests (the AFL will cave in a tweak). Twilight footy has been played before, many times.
If this years Grand Final is a twilight and is a disaster for what ever reason, then it will get scrapped. Have to try it find out, and this might be crazy thinking, but just what if, and its a big what if, it doesn't really make that much of a difference and people like it?

You don't know what you're talking about. Melbourne nights in Sept/Oct are always very dewy. Warmer weather followed by clear, cool nights = dew on the ground. It causes greasy conditions and players aren't as sure-handed. It's a legitimate complaint about night finals vs day finals. It's why most of the night finals at the MCG are so s**t from a skills perspective. Daytime footy in spring is MUCH better as a spectacle. There's no comparison.
You actually believe this dribble?

Please.

You actually believe this dribble?

Please.
Which bit is so difficult for you to wrap your head around?

1) that Melbourne has more dewy nights in Sept/Oct than at any other time of year... Fact.
2) that dew on the ground produces greasy conditions for a game of football.... Fact.
3) that greasy conditions make it more difficult for players to handle the ball cleanly.... Fact.
4) that when players fumble, the quality of the game is lowered as a spectacle... Fact.

It all seems pretty straight-forward to me. I'm hardly plucking this from out of my arse.
It's fairly well-documented, widely-shared view here in Melbourne that spring is not the best time of year for night footy.

1) that Melbourne has more dewy nights in Sept/Oct than at any other time of year... Fact.
2) that dew on the ground produces greasy conditions for a game of football.... Fact.
3) that greasy conditions make it more difficult for players to handle the ball cleanly.... Fact.
4) that when players fumble, the quality of the game is lowered as a spectacle... Fact.

It all seems pretty straight-forward to me. I'm hardly plucking this from out of my arse.
It's fairly well-documented, widely-shared view here in Melbourne that spring is not the best time of year for night footy.

Most games for 25 weeks are twilight and night and you don't care... Fact.

Likewise mate ...... give it a try I say, I reckon it will be a great spectacle.
Not one person who normally watches the footy won't stop watching if the game is played two or three more hours later.
And yep ... funny seeing people get so worked up about it.
We play three or four games of night footy every week.

3/3 twilight prelims (2012, 2014, 2017) at the MCG had no issues with dew at all. There are legitimate arguments against change, but based on actual evidence, conditions affecting the standard of play is not one of them.

It's a few specs of moisture on the ground that might lower the the standard of the game a fraction of a single percent.

I've never been to the footy or even seen a matchday thread on BF where any spectator has gone "OMG, this damn dew is ruining the standard game!"

When silly stuff like this is bought up as 'reasons' why it shouldn't be played a couple of hours later you know it's based on nothing but fear of change.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back