twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you provide an update as to how the NRL has gone growing their game through a night GF?
We don’t have an issue getting publicity for the game. You can’t get away from football in GF week. It consumes the media for all year round. There isn’t a single person in the country who doesn’t know about the existence of our game. They aren’t going to turn their TV on to the GF and go ‘oh what’s all this? Maybe I’ll start this sport’.
The idea that more people will get involved in football because the GF starts two hours later is perhaps the most flimsy argument of all those for moving the time.

The AFLs trying to appeal to kids in the northern markets. Those kids are unlikely to stay up watching a night GF, far more likely to switch on during the afternoon and catch the game.

Can you provide an update as to how the NRL has gone growing their game through a night GF?
We don’t have an issue getting publicity for the game. You can’t get away from football in GF week. It consumes the media for all year round. There isn’t a single person in the country who doesn’t know about the existence of our game. They aren’t going to turn their TV on to the GF and go ‘oh what’s all this? Maybe I’ll start this sport’.
The idea that more people will get involved in football because the GF starts two hours later is perhaps the most flimsy argument of all those for moving the time.
this isn't hard to grasp. if you make the game at more convenient time then more people will watch it. and the purpose is (or should be) to showcase the AFL's main event to as many people as possible.

the fact that more people will watch it if it's shown later isn't debatable, it's a 100% guarantee. more viewers is good for the game any way you want to slice it and there still is no downside to making it later. there is literally no valid argument to leaving it where it is

The AFL 'listening to fans'.

AFL: How about we hit you over the head with a hammer
Fans: Please don't
AFL: OK, we wont, but only because we listen to fans.

Going back on a dumb idea that you know most don't want isn't 'listening'.

Super Bowl wouldn't get a third of Americans watching if it were buried at 2.30pm.

Lol, who cares what would happen to the super bowl if it were played then, I doubt it would deter Americanz, anyway. It might affect their audience outside of America due to time zones etc, But Australia doesn't want the afl GF to turn into a sideshow like the Superbowl. Our GF is about the match, not the theatrics.

Isn't anyone worried about their boys catching flu from the dew? Or bumping into any of those night workers late at night after the game?

I wouldn't want my Tiger boys put at risk.

Lol, who cares what would happen to the super bowl if it were played then, I doubt it would deter Americanz, anyway. It might affect their audience outside of America due to time zones etc, But Australia doesn't want the afl GF to turn into a sideshow like the Superbowl. Our GF is about the match, not the theatrics.

Yeah let's not be progressive and use one of the most followed sporting events in the world (even though its played in one country) as a blue print.

But I understand Adelaide mentally... stay behind the times, not progress and be irrelevant.

I mean why would we want people from other countries and others that would not usually watch slowly tuning in anyway... as long as us old, traditional farts who are gona die soon are happy...that´s all that matters. Don't worry about the future, growth and popularity of the game.

Evolving and progressing is for losers.

Wonder why the NRL switched their GF to prime time and is now the highest watching GF football event in the country.

What a terrible move that was.

mean why would we want people from other countries and others that would not usually watch slowly tuning in anyway... as long as us old, traditional farts who are gona die soon are happy...that´s all that matters. Don't worry about the future, growth and popularity of the game.

There are 22 rounds a year for Australia to grow the game around the world, from what I have seen there is no demand for it. Moving the Grand final won't suddenly make people interested. Twilight games or shown in America throughout the year, usually 3 or 4 games a week go to America on pay TV through fox sports 1 or 2 and espn 1 or 2 like on direct TV, directv now, YouTube TV etc.

The grand final is not the time to market our game to internationals. If thats the only argument for moving it it's a terrible argument.

Yeah let's not be progressive and use one of the most followed sporting events in the world (even though its played in one country) as a blue print.

Key words being "one of the most followed sports events in the world". There is no demand for the afl worldwide lime there is for the NFL . We simply don't have the same issue of needing to play the GF in a timeslot that is more international friendly. They don't care. Grow the game internationally in season, not in the GF .

Yep like all those Saturday twilight home and away games - aka the graveyard slot.

The biggest game of the year - the crowd stays the same but much, much bigger tv audience. Big ratings.

Every watched a Superbowl? It is enhanced by starting later (6.30pm East Coast/3.30pm West Coast).

Tradition? How many different starting times have they had for the GF - 2.00pm, 2.30pm, 2.50pm.

Missed an opportunity this year but will be at 4.30pm start in 2020.

Yeh, just slightly ill informed.

The game is the pinnacle for the week long buildup - go to one and then see what it is all about. It absolutely shits all over the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder why the NRL switched their GF to prime time and is now the highest watching GF football event in the country.

What a terrible move that was.

That's just incorrect. Afl grand final regularly out rates Nrl grand final including last year. Last year was a ten year ratings low for Nrl grand final continuing their downward trend.
Viewing habits in Australia have changed greatly and to suggest more would watch based on the " prime time " argument is naive.

this isn't hard to grasp. if you make the game at more convenient time then more people will watch it. and the purpose is (or should be) to showcase the AFL's main event to as many people as possible.

the fact that more people will watch it if it's shown later isn't debatable, it's a 100% guarantee. more viewers is good for the game any way you want to slice it and there still is no downside to making it later. there is literally no valid argument to leaving it where it is
It isn't a guarantee. Saturday night is never a big TV viewing night, it may even have less of the casual viewers especially in the Northern states as people are more likely to go out

The main argument i have to leave it as it is the biggest game of the year should be played in the best conditions possible which is usually the afternoon

Hopefully they have softened the whingers up enough for next year with the "it's inevitable" stuff

They need to just make it happen. The dogs will bark but the caravan will move on

Yeh, just slightly ill informed.

The game is the pinnacle for the week long buildup - go to one and then see what it is all about. It absolutely shits all over the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight.

Then just watch that and stop watching afl if that's so great and the afl is so s**t by comparison. If you think moving the time slot 2 hours back will suddenly make it not s**t in your eyes compared to the Superbowl I have no idea why that would make the difference. Plenty of interest in the lead up to a GF as well, we just don't focus on the ads that will be shown but the match that will be played.

Nothing in it for them to change it yet.

Broadcast deal goes until 2022. They are just softening the blow by bringing it up all the time. Then just before they renegotiate the next deal they will introduce it, and say look Mr TV CEO the twilight GF gets a lot more viewers, pay us more.

Thread title needs to be changed by a mod. It's misleading and a lie.

Should be in rumours and scandals as well. As it's not true. All the racism Eddie betts has received lately was moved to scandals and rumours, yet all of it was factually true. Why is this thread still here with this title?

The title should be "Grand final staying at usual time slot despite OP preferring a twilight game". That would be an accurate title or move it to scandals and rumours, And people's responses would be a little different I think. Like "who cares what OP wants" etc.

What I'm saying (repeatedly because posters pretend to not understand) is it will get more people watching at night. That's why the AFL very slowly tries to make it happen. Most people will never mark off an entire day on their calendar for it. It's a needlessly early start.

You don’t know anymore than I do if it will get more viewers as a twilight game, I think no matter when it’s played it will be the biggest event of the year as it has always been. The same huge number of people will still watch it.
If it is going to be moved which I think it is inevitable then it should go to a night game not a twilight game.
But let’s not kid ourselves here, this is not about more viewers as the GF is the biggest tv event in the country no matter what time it’s played, this is about the broadcasters making more money from advertising, they can charge a higher rate in twilight and night. The same people will still watch it though.
Money, money, money. It’s a fantasy to think the AFL are thinking about good for the game, more viewers etc etc.

But let’s not kid ourselves here, this is not about more viewers as the GF is the biggest tv event in the country no matter what time it’s played, this is about the broadcasters making more money from advertising, they can charge a higher rate in twilight and night.

Did a lightbulb not go off for you after typing this sentence?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back