twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

this isn't hard to grasp. if you make the game at more convenient time then more people will watch it. and the purpose is (or should be) to showcase the AFL's main event to as many people as possible.

the fact that more people will watch it if it's shown later isn't debatable, it's a 100% guarantee. more viewers is good for the game any way you want to slice it and there still is no downside to making it later. there is literally no valid argument to leaving it where it is

Absolutely no guarantee.

I live in a state north of Victoria, I run the kids around Saturday morning for any activities they may have, or I may mow the lawns and do a bit of work around the house. It's a nice warm spring day and I've got a party to go to tonight. After my work around the house, family duties I relax and have some lunch. My jobs done for the day, what do I do for the arvo while I'm waiting to go to the party tonight?

(mid afternoon game)
What's on the telly, hmmfff, GayFL, Fumble Ball, may as well have a look, see if it's worth watching or have a laugh at how soft they are. lol, you miss and you still get some score for it.

(twilight game)
Hmm, jobs are done, had lunch, what do I do now? Not much on tv, I'll have a nanna nap before the party. Sleeps through the first half, wakes up, has a shower and gets ready for the party, catches the final score on the news, doesn't really care.

Absolutely no guarantee.

I live in a state north of Victoria, I run the kids around Saturday morning for any activities they may have, or I may mow the lawns and do a bit of work around the house. It's a nice warm spring day and I've got a party to go to tonight. After my work around the house, family duties I relax and have some lunch. My jobs done for the day, what do I do for the arvo while I'm waiting to go to the party tonight?

(mid afternoon game)
What's on the telly, hmmfff, GayFL, Fumble Ball, may as well have a look, see if it's worth watching or have a laugh at how soft they are. lol, you miss and you still get some score for it.

(twilight game)
Hmm, jobs are done, had lunch, what do I do now? Not much on tv, I'll have a nanna nap before the party. Sleeps through the first half, wakes up, has a shower and gets ready for the party, catches the final score on the news, doesn't really care.
is the state you're from NSW? if so i'm skeptical of your claims to be partying on saturday night.

New JLT Community Series

Round 1:
9 standard games in suburban/regional venues, rank winners by %

Round 2:
Lightning Matches of 20 min halves

Saturday
110pm - 8th v 9th
210pm - 2nd v 7th
310pm - 3rd v 6th
410pm - 4th v 5th
510pm - 1st v 8th/9th

Sunday
110pm - Semi
210pm - Semi
410pm - GF

Can play the Saturday games in Geelong or Ballarat, Sunday games at a suburban venue in Melbourne (Princes Park, Casey, Werribee, etc.)

Do not like

The AFL could wind up Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and the Gold Coast tomorrow and they'd be forgotten about by casual followers by the next day.

Any growth from the north is going to come from primary and early teenage kids, not 20, 30 or 40 something casual viewers.

It's not a rumour when the AFL CEO talks about it publicly every year.
But it's not HAPPENING is it? They decided against it. The fact they talked about it, decided against it and decided to stick with the traditional time slot doesn't indicate " the twilight grand final is coming boyos" at all. In fact the opposite is true.

And if it is at twilight grand final even more would watch it, that is why they call it prime time.

Starts at 4.30pm, finishes at 7.30pm at the latest - what is wrong with that?

And for all those traditionalist, not one repeat not one of the leadup finals was played at 2.30pm EST.

4.30 - 7.30pm on a Saturday is not prime time.

It really isn't.

The NRL GF isn't even the highest rating League game of the year. Maybe we could start the AFL GF at 10:30am so that the east coast of America could get it in primetime or maybe we could start it at 1:30pm to catch the west coast's primetime.

View attachment 635447
That's a depressing-arse list outside of the sport

4.30 - 7.30pm on a Saturday is not prime time.

6.00pm to 7.30pm is certainly prime time.

Well you do understand that moving it to 4.30pm - 7.30pm will see it a few years later move to 6.30pm - 9.30pm.

You do these things over time.

It will be a requirement in the next media agreement due for review in 2020-2021 so get use to the idea.

Last edited:
6.00pm to 7.30pm is certainly prime time.

Well you do understand that moving it to 4.30pm - 7.30pm will see it a few years later move to 6.30pm - 9.30pm.

You do these things over time.

It will be a requirement in the next media agreement due for review in 2020-2021 so get use to the idea.

You're just pulling stuff out of your arse again. Seems if they really want prime time, they'll need to switch the days too. NRL have their GF in the prime slot of the week and they still can't out rate the AFL. hawks787

1552629813806.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're just pulling stuff out of your arse again. Seems if they really want prime time, they'll need to switch the days too. NRL have their GF in the prime slot of the week and they still can't out rate the AFL. hawks787

View attachment 635520

So you are telling me that it won't rate higher later in the day?

Delusional is strong with this one.

So you are telling me that it won't rate higher later in the day?

Delusional is strong with this one.

No I think what he's telling you is your argument is borne out of personal preference that's not only been factually incorrect with your statements, but also statistically proven to be up against it to draw more viewers in the twilight/night timeslot.

Yeah let's not be progressive and use one of the most followed sporting events in the world (even though its played in one country) as a blue print.

But I understand Adelaide mentally... stay behind the times, not progress and be irrelevant.

I mean why would we want people from other countries and others that would not usually watch slowly tuning in anyway... as long as us old, traditional farts who are gona die soon are happy...that´s all that matters. Don't worry about the future, growth and popularity of the game.

Evolving and progressing is for losers.

Wonder why the NRL switched their GF to prime time and is now the highest watching GF football event in the country.

What a terrible move that was.
Quick hint: it’s not
And that’s despite NRL being a generally higher rating TV league than the AFL.
And calling moving a game back into generally worse conditions for playing because it look cooler under lights and with fireworks “progressive” is a bit silly.

I accept that there is a non-zero number of people who would watch in a later time slot but don't currently, but why is a one-off ratings increase objectively good for the game? Sure the broadcaster makes more money and some of this flows on in TV rights, so Gil can buy himself another ivory backscratcher or waste it on guff like AFLX. But what benefit does the sport, fans or grass roots get out of it? The AFL isn't struggling for cash not exposure as it is.

I was talking about a night Grand Final.

A twilight Grand Final is just the thin edge of the wedge... The AFL will probably start the GF at around 5pm for 3-4 years and once they've conditioned folks to the shift away from a daytime GF, it won't be such a leap to shift the start time back another couple of hours to 7pm.

There is no doubt that channel 7 see it as the thin edge of the wedge, but that doesn't mean the AFL need to. Twilight is clearly a compromise position between competing demands. The AFL are at times woefully out of touch with their constituency, but even they should be aware of the pitfalls of moving it to a completely night time fixture. Moving it 5 hours later is much more problematic than moving 2.

The funny thing is that if the AFL were using this as a precursor to a night move then they're doing it wrong anyway. 'Spectacle' is their primary argument in the PR battle, but a night GF won't provide any improvement on that compared with a twilight one, it'll just piss more people off.

I'm saddened that all the other MCG finals are now played at night. It's just not as good as the old daytime Semis and Prelims... FACT

This isn't a fact, it's literally an opinion.

I know last year was a close game but those presentation figures are pretty good (and capable of having more ads through them). I doubt they'd be the same at 10:30pm...

I accept that there is a non-zero number of people who would watch in a later time slot but don't currently, but why is a one-off ratings increase objectively good for the game? Sure the broadcaster makes more money and some of this flows on in TV rights, so Gil can buy himself another ivory backscratcher or waste it on guff like AFLX. But what benefit does the sport, fans or grass roots get out of it? The AFL isn't struggling for cash not exposure as it is.

^^This. For all the cries of 'tradition isn't a good enough reason to stay put', the idea that a later start will lift ratings isn't exactly a strong argument the other way. If someone is going to watch only one football game a year, then it's going to be the GF, the timeslot is mostly irrelevant. So the ratings argument boils down to the absolutely most fickle of people who haven't already made their mind up about the game, in reality moving the GF is probably only good for about a 2% ratings bump.

This site is the only place I have found where there are people fervently defending the AFLs right to make an unpopular change purely for the $$$$

Every other forum, every other article and almost everyone I have spoken to thinks the majority really adore the Saturday afternoon get together tradition. Those with kids even more so.

I look at the super bowl half time show and just cringe at the AFL efforts.

Just quietly, its not the time of day thats the difference. When was the last memorable NRL side entertainment?

more pertinent we should be looking at the standard of commentary by broadcasters. Or AFL/VFL commentary wasnt always a dire as it is now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back