Twilight Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Just gutted that, after a cold winter, I have to spend a 28 degree day indoors watching TV

Time for the AFL to grow up and play the GF at night

Nearly all the other finals are played at night!
You know you can watch it outside right? There's this thing called beer gardens.

Surely that’s the end of day GFs, shocking TV coverage, ball flicking between sun/shade made for a terrible viewer experience. The marquee game of the year and the AFL ends up looking like a tin pot amateur competition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Complete opposite.

Yesterday was the perfect example of why it needs to remain where it is.

The MCG looked magnificent bathed in sunshine, for both the Kiss performance and the free flowing footy of the first half.

I'm sure all those Collingwood supporters who had the rest of the evening and night to celebrate are thrilled with the 2:30 start time.

I assume you're in Perth?

Add 2 hours to what you just said for everybody on the Eastern side of the country.
Yes, but if yesterday's game was a twilight fixture (we had a 5.15pm start), that's when the game would roughly have finished. Cup being presented at 8.30pm AEST. Which is not that late for kids, in school holidays and on a Saturday.

Twilight 4.30pm is you get the best of both worlds.

You can still have a kick before the game, BBQ, pretty much all the stuff you'd do on a normal day except it starts in a better rating slot.

I have noticed an argument against it is that it didn't work in 2020 and 2021 , but for most of the country bar WA, those 2 games were both at night time. Most of the country literally hasn't experienced a twilight grandfinal.

I love the 2.30 start, but twilight just makes sense as well

Considering both years victorians were stuck at home and not congregating together at homes or pubs watching might have had something to do with it.
Sometimes what’s right for the fans needs to come before the corporate dollar.
I slightly prefer a day Grand Final over night but not massively fussed. What is far more annoying to me regarding the corporate dollar is corporates taking a significant slice of the GF tickets. I could live with a night GF if it meant 10k more members' tickets made available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the 21 GF and I didn’t mind the twilight time slot, but the light in the first quarter had the feeling of a last quarter. That lovely late arvo sun, the long shadows, it just felt like that was when the game should have been ending, not starting.

Anyway I’m a traditionalist/romantic and will always want a daytime GF. I also want no advertising on the back of jumpers, no stupid music before and during games, and footy cards with chewing gum inside, so maybe I’m just getting older and stuck reminiscing about the glory days of my youth 😬

Twilight is the worst time, day or night has the best lighting. Twilight all The Sun goes into the crowd instead of the oval, it looks terrible lighting wise.

2:30pm start is not consistent with modern life, particularly in NSW and QLD. It is a relic from a bye gone era that is not appropriate for the biggest game of the year. There is no good argument too keep it IMO (I dont given any weight 'tradition').

Twilight start is a must, circa 4:30-5pm.
I don't know why you conflate 'modern' to twilight, when no other sport that I'm aware of has their championship game during twilight, it's usually night.

Jesus... this again.

2:30 is perfect.

If it ever changes, 3:30 makes the most sense.

Night Grand Finals were attempted due to Covid, and the overwhelming feedback from us, the viewers, was that it didn't work.
I like both day and night, probably prefer the starting time at like 1:30 so there's better lighting, though, or move the Grand final to after day light savings kick in. The 2020 GF did have a climatic feeling to it, and the lighting was good, too. 2021's twilight had the worst aesthetic because the oval was dim and all it went into the crowd, it looked terrible.

I like both day and night, probably prefer the starting time at like 1:30 so there's better lighting, though, or move the Grand final to after day light savings kick in. The 2020 GF did have a climatic feeling to it, and the lighting was good, too. 2021's twilight had the worst aesthetic because the oval was dim and all it went into the crowd, it looked terrible.
I agree. Twilight is the worst of all outcomes.

Full day or full night. No half measures.

I think it should start at 4:30pm or whatever time the final siren went. TV coverage looks bad with the bright spring sunshine mixed with the giant shadows from the stand roof, plus it's harder the so the red sherrin compared to the yellow one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back