toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Have been looking for this phrase to appear in online media after the game, and have yet to see it.

But it was all I could think of when Mitch Lewis started to come to life in the second quarter against the Cats, after O'Brien had started to get the Pussy's defence to notice him in a big way with 3 marks. Suddenly we had two guys beginning to clunk them, and they were big, strong grabs. In this game I'm guessing that we had more forward line marks against (albeit a decrepit version) Harry Taylor and co. than I've ever seen – and they were big grabs too. The hits just kept coming for both of them. There were lulls, but they were consistently grabbing it against all of Geelong's defence (or at least it seemed this way, without having re-watched the game).

It might just be that years and years of watching our best forwardline one-two punch this century (arguably a third punch in there in 2008 as well) get pantsed by the Cats defenders, has made me overly optimistic on Mitch and TOB.

But holy hell, I thought the two of them might get smashed against the Cats, and it would go down as a lesson for their development. But instead we got the opposite, to the point it looked like we were beginning to see a giant beginning to stir on Saturday.

Not a whisper in the media though.

Last edited:

Was probably one of the best forward line performances since the threepeat era. That includes 2016. I know we only scored 85 points - but some of those behinds move a metre or two in the second quarter and it’s a different story.

The two of them worked beautifully and Nash provided a spoil for both of them also. Allowed Breust to play more of his natural game, Gunner to roam the ground when Impey went down and Chad to play through the middle where he had impact.

The best thing about it yesterday is that from early on when the ball was heading into our forward line I got excited - not worried about how quickly it was going to rebound out. If the two of them can build on this - and we get Patton for a packet of chips and can work our magic on him also - we will finally have a dominating forward line again.

If the two of them can build on this - and we get Patton for a packet of chips and can work our magic on him also - we will finally have a dominating forward line again.

Thats the big If isnt it, but I'm hopeful...and I dont reckon we need Patton...

Thats the big If isnt it, but I'm hopeful...and I dont reckon we need Patton...

Depth is always handy, and TOB is a genuine swingman these days. But if yesterday is a sign of things to come - you’d be right.

Was exciting to watch yesterday. At the ground you could see the Geelong defense shift nervously when we had the ball coming in fast. I think Lewis and TOB were in part able to play the way they did because of Nash requiring a taller defender to play on him, which opened up space and allowed for more contested balls to be brought to ground. I also think we should remember the Geelong has had one of the best defenses all year, and two 20 year olds tore them up!

Don't forget to add Gunston, when you look at our talls it is really stretching teams and having lewis and obrien come on in the last weeks make a significant difference.

Just need bruest and Hanrahan to fire and we should kick 100 points for the first time in a while soon.

Timmy O, what an enigma. Must have been close to being de-listed, must have been close to on his last legs at the club due to massively unfulfilled potential. Clarko gives him a briefish stint down back, where he performs reasonably. Then he swings him back to the forward line and he becomes a contested grab clunking, goal kicking monster. I'm ecstatic about it, but how does this even happen?

Clarko gives him a briefish stint down back, where he performs reasonably. Then he swings him back to the forward line and he becomes a contested grab clunking, goal kicking monster. I'm ecstatic about it, but how does this even happen?

The space between a man's ears is the most fragile, unchartered, immensely powerful tool that he owns.

TOB had freak level athletic talents. The space between his ears was just unsure of itself.

May he long have the belief.

They have to back up this weekend - TOB must come out firing and tell us all he owns the CHF spot - I think we have all seen the potential and felt the frustration as he has all the attributes to be a solid CHF - just must be consistent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget to add Gunston, when you look at our talls it is really stretching teams and having lewis and obrien come on in the last weeks make a significant difference.

Just need bruest and Hanrahan to fire and we should kick 100 points for the first time in a while soon.
Hitting our straps just at the right time. Impey injury hurts. Perhaps a late run at the finals with the twin towers and a return of Birchall and Scrimshaw is not too much to ask of this group.

So Lewis has 15 disposal, kicked 3.1 and had 2 goal assists to go with that. 7/15 disposals were part of a scoring chain. Somehow none of his marks were contested but he took 4 inside 50 and kicked it inside 50 3 times himself. Also had 4 1%ers

Timmy kicked 3.1 and 5/11 disposals were part of a scoring chain. 2 contested marks, 3 marks inside 50 and 2 inside 50s.

So our two young forwards with 69 games between them and going up against the top rated defense across the first 17 weeks kicked 6 goals between them.

Not bad at all

Funny that.
I was thinking "twin towers" when I logged into this BFH just now and, there you go, this thread is up. Then as I'm reading it I think, "well actually, that's not right" it's really "triple towers" because we've got this fella Nash who makes TOB look like a pipsqueak.

Then I read on - and see that Brishawk's already covered that trio.

Get excited.

Earlier this year the knockers were out in force. "TOB is a list clogger. Get rid of him. Lewis looks good but can't take a mark".
Others were saying - "Just wait until they start clunking them" !!

Half a season later we have the makings of an awesome forward line. These guys aren't lumbering forwards - they're all bloody quick and very good at ground level. Nash is even quicker and more agile - plays like a flanker with turbo jets but he still needs to be minded by a tall defender because he's starting to take marks as well - and he's also running into great positions (away from Lewis and O'Brien). Nash isn't getting 16 possessions but he's chipping away with brilliant tackles and handballs. If he's Clarko's love child that's OK with me.

Pity our opposition. These 3 talls (forgetting the likes of Wingard, Bruest and Poppy) are going to cause huge problems - as they did yesterday.

Get excited.

Honestly have not felt as confident in the Hawks taking contested marks in any given situation since ... probably 2001. Was never a hallmark of ours in our 2008-2016 years, and the last couple of weeks especially it's all started coming together. Ariel threat around the ground

Good early signs for the future from a forward-line perspective with Lewis and TOB finding strong form at FF/CHF.

Lewis/TOB/Nash/Gunston really seemed to stretch the cats defense well. Interesting to see if this same approach is adopted against the Lions.

I wonder where the weekends performance leaves us in the chase for Patton. Do we still want/need him? I personally want us to still lure him as a flyer because as promising as Timmy's improvement has been this year we still aren't guaranteed of consistent performances from him. Yes Patton comes with some real risk but I still hope we take it. I feel that we might be competing against the Pies for his signature if they are able to squeeze his big salary in next season, and that is a big if.

I mentioned twin towers in my autopsy post. It really stood out to me how much more potent we looked when a good number of our entries resulted in big marks from talls (I think TOB still counts as tall at 193). But it's not just that - the structures are starting to gel all around the ground. You can see how the pieces fit and catch a glimpse of what Clarkson is building.

I'm not really concerned with the media - we actually did look pretty bloody ordinary at a lot of times this year. And that's to be expected when you're at this point in the renovation (I think that's a better term than 'rebuild' for what Clarkson and co. are doing with the list). Just sit back and enjoy the ride - and the great thing about this phase is that you can fully enjoy our great wins without getting too upset about the inevitable losses. It's all just part of the journey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back