MrWoollie

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
I'm sorry but why would East Fremantle move to Rockingham?
For the same reason West Perth moved to Joondalup. East Freo are enclosed and the suburbs are growing south and south-east. They have a home ground that is apparently being improved but historically has had the worst facilities for spectators of any ground. Only Claremont has been historically close to being as bad, but at least you could get there by train.
The more complex move that works better geographically (but will never happen) would be for South Freo to move south and East Freo to move to fremantle oval and East Freo oval becomes a community asset.

The_Reaper

Hall of Famer
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
For the same reason West Perth moved to Joondalup. East Freo are enclosed and the suburbs are growing south and south-east. They have a home ground that is apparently being improved but historically has had the worst facilities for spectators of any ground. Only Claremont has been historically close to being as bad, but at least you could get there by train.
The more complex move that works better geographically (but will never happen) would be for South Freo to move south and East Freo to move to fremantle oval and East Freo oval becomes a community asset.
Moving to Fremantle oval would solve the stadium issue for Easts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kranger

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Another consideration for where the Fremantle teams are based, is the travel after school for the teenagers in the junior teams for trainings.

With both of them being located on the coast, it’s a bit of a disadvantage for the kids in the Armadale area.

It’s a one way 40min trip by car or 90min trip by public transport if they don’t have someone that can drive them. That’s a big ask compared to the kids around Fremantle, and could see them less likely to commit to the teams.

If the two Freo teams were based at Cockburn (as an example) and one team covered east of the freeway and the other west of the freeway, it would balance that disadvantage a bit.

But an even bigger example of this, if you ignore Peel and West Perth considering how far south and north they are of the City, there are 5 teams west of the CBD and only 2 teams east of the CBD. All those western suburbs kids are clearly at an advantage under the current locations.

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Another consideration for where the Fremantle teams are based, is the travel after school for the teenagers in the junior teams for trainings.

With both of them being located on the coast, it’s a bit of a disadvantage for the kids in the Armadale area.

It’s a one way 40min trip by car or 90min trip by public transport if they don’t have someone that can drive them. That’s a big ask compared to the kids around Fremantle, and could see them less likely to commit to the teams.

If the two Freo teams were based at Cockburn (as an example) and one team covered east of the freeway and the other west of the freeway, it would balance that disadvantage a bit.
But surely that's an argument for relocation to Cockburn, not to Rockingham.

kranger

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
But surely that's an argument for relocation to Cockburn, not to Rockingham.
To Cockburn or even Gosnells would definitely help the Armadale area, if only one club was to move. You would also have to redrawing the catchment zones as well. But I was more highlighting the issue rather than the solution.

After all in my suggestion with East Freo moving to Rockingham for the future population down there, I also had Perth moving down to Gosnells to include the Armadale area in their zone and be more central to their whole zone.

You could even move Perth and not either of the Fremantle teams, and redraw the zones, and it would mostly assist with the issue for now.

kranger

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
If the WACA Ground does get this development, I see that to the benefit of the WAFC, as it means their can be a boutique oval in the CBD should they ever want to use it. Instead the WAFC could focus their attention away from the CBD.

I imagine the WAFC have three pathways:

• coverage (which I’ll discuss now);
• consolidated (which I’ll discuss another time); and
• hybrid (which would be a combination of the two.

In the ‘coverage’ pathway for facilities development, the WAFC should look to this future population layout to develop one of their 2nd Tier AFL venues in the south, and one in the north. I’m thinking Joondalup and Rockingham, which will both be connected by train and a town centre in their area.

This could be the strategy to get all the current facilities upgraded, as well as the new 2nd Tier AFL venues.

Short Term
• WACA Ground can be used as a Tier 2 venue when available;
• East Freo move down to Rockingham and their new field becomes the Tier 2 venue of the south (paid for, by the local developer contributions for the new housings);
• Shark Park can be redeveloped to be community sports fields;
• South Freo‘s zone becomes all the area to the north and west of Cockburn; whilst East Freo’s zone becomes from south of Cockburn to Rockingham area;
• Joondalup Arena is the focus as a Tier 2 venue for the north;
• Subiaco temporarily remain at Leederville Oval to help get it redeveloped;
• Perth temporarily remain at Lathlain Park to help get it redeveloped;
• Bassendean Oval gets redeveloped with funding from land sales; and
• Fremantle Oval gets redeveloped through the interest from the City of Fremantle.

Long Term
• Perth later moves to Gosnells with a new field, that caters for the south-east corridor (paid for, by the local developer contributions for the new housings);
• East Freo lose the Armadale area from their catchment zone; Perth pick up the Armadale area but lose the South Perth / Vic Park area; East Perth pick up the South Perth / Vic Park area for their catchment zone;
• Subiaco later move to Yanchep along with their zone, leap frogging over West Perth and what they did 30 years ago, to a new field for the far northern suburbs(paid for, by the local developer contributions for the new housings);
• West Perth gets Subiaco’s and East Perth’s old northern sections; whilst Claremont get Subiaco‘s old southern section.

This would get every club in a venue with acceptable facilities, and make the layout of all of the grounds look like this.

View attachment 928957

Next time I’ll talk about the consolidated venue approach.
I previously talked about the ‘coverage pathway’ of getting teams and facilities to spread across Perth. Today let’s talk about the ‘consolidate pathway’ of using the minimum number of facilities so you can concentrate funding.

Most will likely hate this arrangement as it takes footy out of Fremantle, just like I don’t like it as it takes footy out of Bassendean. But it’s a model to discuss the concept.

• Peel stay at Rushton Park and becomes the 2nd Tier AFL Venue of the south.
• South and East Freo move to Cockburn to share with the Dockers. Souths zone is north and west of Cockburn, Easts zone is east and south of Cockburn.
• Subiaco move to Claremont and share with the Tigers.
• Swans move to Lathlain Park and share with the Eagles and Demons.
• East Perth move to Arena Joondalup and share with the Falcons, which becomes the 2nd Tier AFL Venue of the north.

Those last three club movements, would require some redistributing of the zone catchment areas in the northern suburbs, but it should be too difficult.

Excluding Peel which is a ground with a single club, the four grounds with two or three clubs have two fields in close proximity to handle the increased demands of training. Claremont Oval has Claremont Showgrounds, Cockburn has Legacy Park etc.

Each of these five grounds have existing or proposed upgrades to the facilities to be of the highest standard compared to the four fields that would be left .

89F84021-E0DE-47DB-A7D4-B14CBF60D520.jpeg

This pathway allows the concentration of funding in fewer grounds, which can also provide them with even better facilities compared to only having a single club. It does however mean there would be less fields spread across the City to a higher standard.

Next time I’ll discuss the idea of Hybrid Pathway, for which there is so many possible choices, so I’ll focus more on the idea rather than the implementation.

Supercoach Bargain

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2012
Just behind you...
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Westbury
This would also allow for seasons to shift a bit more. If need be.

When the G is unavailable as Cricket Victoria has it booked in case they make the Sheffield Shield final and will get 1500 people watching.

Top Bottom