Current Two adults & a baby found dead on an outback property - NT

Remove this Banner Ad

'A crime scene has been declared and Regional Crime is investigating the deaths as suspicious.'

Baby and two adults found dead under 'suspicious circumstances' inside a property in outback Australia as police descend on the grisly scene

• Three people have been found dead at a property 25km north of Alice Springs
  • NT Police received a report after they were discovered about 2.30pm Sunday
  • Deceased include two adults and a baby - an investigation has been launched

Not much information yet.

It's an absolute disgrace that the deaths of people are not being reported on because of lack of information being provided by police (which, from the ABC article, seems to be based purely on the colour of the victims' skin). In this case the deaths of the woman and baby seem to be the result of DV. (The only thing that makes me unsure is that the gun is stated to have been found 'near' the scene rather than 'at' the scene - surely in a murder suicide the gun would be with the body of the person that pulled the trigger, unless someone removed it - It seems possible that the firearm found may not have been the weapon used at all - in that case wouldn't it seem that another person killed all three people and shouldn't LE be asking for the public to come forward with dashcam footage etc and not just putting this down the DV. Was the male the woman's partner or was he a victim, too? Was a prior partner or someone else the murderer!) If information were released, as we see in other cases like this in non-Aboriginal deaths, there would be some clarity. There really should be pressure from the public demanding that this change. I for one agree with the above article and think we need to know because murder matters, DV matters and all people should be treated equally in this country. I can really understand why First Nations People are broken and pissed off about the way they are treated and viewed when something like this happens - their deaths need to be investigated and reported on to the same level as other members of the community, and with respect, not neglect.
If police denied the request for information (as stated in the ABC article) the question back at them should be why is our request being denied; the refusal itself is worthy of investigation and the reasons given are important. If they think that that any information might interfere with a murder investigation, then why say they are treating it as DV and that there is no threat to the public - the last comment was said in the initial reporting.

Last edited:
It's an absolute disgrace that the deaths of people are not being reported on because of lack of information being provided by police (which, from the ABC article, seems to be based purely on the colour of the victims' skin). In this case the deaths of the woman and baby seem to be the result of DV. (The only thing that makes me unsure is that the gun is stated to have been found 'near' the scene rather than 'at' the scene - surely in a murder suicide the gun would be with the body of the person that pulled the trigger, unless someone removed it - It seems possible that the firearm found may not have been the weapon used at all - in that case wouldn't it seem that another person killed all three people and shouldn't LE be asking for the public to come forward with dashcam footage etc and not just putting this down the DV. Was the male the woman's partner or was he a victim, too? Was a prior partner or someone else the murderer!) If information were released, as we see in other cases like this in non-Aboriginal deaths, there would be some clarity. There really should be pressure from the public demanding that this change. I for one agree with the above article and think we need to know because murder matters, DV matters and all people should be treated equally in this country. I can really understand why First Nations People are broken and pissed off about the way they are treated and viewed when something like this happens - their deaths need to be investigated and reported on to the same level as other members of the community, and with respect, not neglect.
If police denied the request for information (as stated in the ABC article) the question back at them should be why is our request being denied; the refusal itself is worthy of investigation and the reasons given are important. If they think that that any information might interfere with a murder investigation, then why say they are treating it as DV and that there is no threat to the public - the last comment was said in the initial reporting.

It can be difficult to respectfully navigate a way around the reporting of Aboriginal deaths with specific written permissions required to name and publish images especially through the mourning period, which can be up to six or twelve months and sometimes even longer.

Even if written permission is granted, it's most often restricted to the one media outlet.

It can be difficult to respectfully navigate a way around the reporting of Aboriginal deaths with specific written permissions required to name and publish images especially through the mourning period, which can be up to six or twelve months and sometimes even longer.

Even if written permission is granted, it's most often restricted to the one media outlet.
Yes, that's why I said with 'respect' at the end of my post (perhaps I should have been more clear). There are ways to report on matters that do not require the naming of people etc - it happens all the time. If it were solely a matter of cultural respect that would be the answer given by police when asked - it wasn't according the the shared article. Respect needs to be afforded to Aboriginal people by looking into deaths correctly (I hope it is in this case, especially as a baby was murdered....putting baby and murder together was hard to type) and reporting on them - this is not happing far too often apparently, and is a huge issue that forms a part of, at the very least, institutional racism. Obviously this is a recognised problem and that's why the ABC article talk about people being worried that this is happening - I am just going by the article for my post. This doesn't only exist in this country and was something that was highlighted during the coverage of the murder of Gabby Petito. I've been glad to see that it's starting to be talked about more in the media.

Last edited:
I wonder whether it would be better to allow the elders to sort this out or at least get their advice.

Would be good to hear from any indigenous members on bf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are ever going to counter the mistreatment of first nations people one aspect of that has to be greater responsiveness to crime. Reporting comes into it too as a light is shone on all incidents. NT police response has been questionable......deaths in custody is a disgrace imo. Lets shine a light on it. Investigate it. If there are perpetrators other than those deceased then investigate and pursue. The status quo cant be allowed to persist. How you do that through the pre existing programs involving indigenous community participation to be resolved but the starting point is ALWAYS to treat crime as crime with the ernest endeavour given elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back