Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anything happen to the girl who, you know, committed murder? Murder is generally frowned upon in today's society, but nobody on the show seemed to really care.

It's funny cos she's a psycho. If he was murdered by the Jeri Ryan character then fans would expect some appropriate punishment etc.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Kutcher did alright. Let's face it, he didn't have terribly big shoes to fill.

I'm surprised/disappointed they didn't go with him being one of Charlie's illegitimate sons. That would've been perfect.

It's not stated that he was murdered. It was implied to the audience. Characters 'miss' (or not fully 'get') seemingly obvious implications all the time in sitcoms, it's part of the brand of humour.

Even if they did know, sitcom characters don't act like normal people. I mean gosh, why did all those people who found out about Mork being an alien never call the newspaper or the CIA? Why was Jack from Will & Grace never investigated for the death of the millionaire who bequeathed his fortune to him, when he fell of the balcony of their apartment when they were home alone?

I think it's a stupid show but you're nitpicking fairly badly to take issue on this point.

Agreed. It is a sit com, not a reflection of real life.

I mean, why didn't the FBI head out to the desert to investigate all of these explosives being sent there by the ACME corporation? For all they knew, Wile E Coyote was stockpiling them and planning an attack in a major city.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think 2AAHM would be shot in front of a live audience, so the laughs are genuine, but enhanced (or muted when necessary). The process is called 'sweetening'.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep.

Didn't realise people on BF liked this sort of mindless crap.

I don't mind it. I'm fully aware of how derivative and repetitive it is but I've only ever seen, like, 5 full episodes, so I'm happy enough to watch it when I stumble across it.

The weird thing is, TBBT is exactly the same. Shallow, one-dimensional characters placed in unrealistic situations and given clunky, awkward dialogue with an overt and annoying laugh-track telling people when to laugh but I really like TBBT.

I was always going to watch the Kutcher episode, though. Highest paid TV actor of all-time gets bumped and has a very lengthy and public meltdown? I'm surprised the ratings weren't higher.

Just a question, I watched the first 5 minutes out of curiosity (first time I'd watched this show in years) but turned it off and deleted it after Jake farting for no reason was considered worthy of a laughtrack.

As far as I can tell, Jake's character is given the same lines as he was given when he was just ten. Y'know, Jake misinterprets sexual inneudo / is hungry / farts or burps inappropriately / doesn't do well at school.

The actor is pretty much a man in his own right and still the writers give him a situation where he's oblivious as to how socially impolite it is to fart in public. :confused:

muesli

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
S/E Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wantirna South (Eastern FL)
Thought it was ok, nothing special. Will probably watch next week but if it doesn't improve, won't be watching for long.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
So upon Rose revealing that Charlie 'fell' onto an incoming train right in front of her the day after she caught him with another girl in the shower, none of Charlie's friends feel the need to follow this up? This stupid show reached a new low last night.

Presumably a subway would have CCTV and many witnesses and it was found to be an accident.

However, they were playing off the coincidence of his accidental death following infuriating a psycho the night before.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I don't mind it. I'm fully aware of how derivative and repetitive it is but I've only ever seen, like, 5 full episodes, so I'm happy enough to watch it when I stumble across it.

Ditto. It's mindless and I don't actively watch it each week but it's reasonable if there isn't much on.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
So upon Rose revealing that Charlie 'fell' onto an incoming train right in front of her the day after she caught him with another girl in the shower, none of Charlie's friends feel the need to follow this up? This stupid show reached a new low last night.

Good lord you're working yourself into a tis over this.Was last night the first time you've watched a TV show ?

Why is it a TV character will have a girlfriend or boyfriend one episode then the next ep they'll have another without any explanation as to what happened to the previous one ?
Why do the people in CSI have guns when real CSI people don't ?
Why did Donna's sister disappear after one appearance on That 70's Show ?
Why were there 2 Chucks in Happy Days and where the hell did they go ?
Why is it so many TV series look like they're filmed in the same fake town ?
Why is it people appear on the same show playing different characters ?

It's because it's TV and you're not mean't to think ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Kutcher did alright. Let's face it, he didn't have terribly big shoes to fill.

I'm surprised/disappointed they didn't go with him being one of Charlie's illegitimate sons. That would've been perfect.

Would have been far to obvious.

Obviously, but in a show that takes place in the real world some semblance of realism would be nice. They may as well bring Charlie back from the dead next week, it wouldn't make any less sense.

So half of all sitcoms and plenty of action/drama series are out of bounds for you.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not sure Ashton Culture is going to work. His character is too dopey/niave/nice.

The appeal of the show, for me, was Charlie's condecension.

Yep the essense of the show was the yin and yang of Charlie/Alan who are the classic odd couple.

It's kind of ironic that some other poor sap was bought in to That 70's show when Ashton bailed and now he's the poor sap.

Not really. If it's a show like The Mighty Boosh or South Park which is clearly not meant to make any sense, then do whatever you like. If it's a show like Two and a Half Men which purports to take place in the real world and has for the most part done so for 8 seasons or whatever it is, then keeping some semblance of reality would be nice rather than throwing in some stupid non-sensical plotline to explain a character's disappearance because you were too lazy to write something that made sense.

So if they threw in an alien for an episode (Mork in Happy Days), you would think it is no longer supposed to be real world and would be acceptable? The lack of totally ridiculous insertions actually counts against them in this case does it?

Alien space ships over New York or Boston (V/Falling Skies) are okay between they are obviously not representative of real life I take it. The problem seems to be in your perception that Two and a Half Men is real enough to be considered real life and therefore the rules of real life should apply to them.

In terms of storylines to write out a character that is never going to return, it is not easy.

In MASH, they could sent Trapper home between series or they could kill off Henry Blake, because you know these things are likely to happen.

Then again, you can send Kylie Minogue to Queensland, along with about two dozen other Ramsay Street residents over the years, only for them to never visit or show up to a family funeral.

In this case, they don't want to refer to Charlie again by having fake phone conversations and can not explain him never visiting his brother or mother again, so they decide to kill him off. Given the divisive nature of Sheen's split from the show, they couldn't really make his TV death too sombre either. Rose was an obvious candidate for a comedic demise because she is after all slightly psychotic and is referred to as having done all sorts of freaky stalkerish things to Charlie in the past as payback for jilting her. Yet he was still okay with her popping in and even fell for her when she was unobtainable. It's not really a real world situation. Hell, she claimed to be married to a mannequin named 'Manny Quinn' and nobody was any the wiser.

We can't suddenly expect any of these characters to break character and start getting all serious and sombre about a possible murder. This isn't a soap opera.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So if they threw in an alien for an episode (Mork in Happy Days), you would think it is no longer supposed to be real world and would be acceptable? The lack of totally ridiculous insertions actually counts against them in this case does it?

Alien space ships over New York or Boston (V/Falling Skies) are okay between they are obviously not representative of real life I take it. The problem seems to be in your perception that Two and a Half Men is real enough to be considered real life and therefore the rules of real life should apply to them.

In terms of storylines to write out a character that is never going to return, it is not easy.

In MASH, they could sent Trapper home between series or they could kill off Henry Blake, because you know these things are likely to happen.

Then again, you can send Kylie Minogue to Queensland, along with about two dozen other Ramsay Street residents over the years, only for them to never visit or show up to a family funeral.

In this case, they don't want to refer to Charlie again by having fake phone conversations and can not explain him never visiting his brother or mother again, so they decide to kill him off. Given the divisive nature of Sheen's split from the show, they couldn't really make his TV death too sombre either. Rose was an obvious candidate for a comedic demise because she is after all slightly psychotic and is referred to as having done all sorts of freaky stalkerish things to Charlie in the past as payback for jilting her. Yet he was still okay with her popping in and even fell for her when she was unobtainable. It's not really a real world situation. Hell, she claimed to be married to a mannequin named 'Manny Quinn' and nobody was any the wiser.

We can't suddenly expect any of these characters to break character and start getting all serious and sombre about a possible murder. This isn't a soap opera.

Totally agree....Even my parents, both in their 80's, thought the way they did Charlies passing was hilarious...They thought it was done very well and in keeping with the tone of the show..

The Rose angle was just perfect IMO..The mother was her typical self, even trying to sell Charlies house from the funeral etc...and I just loved the housekeepers shocked, then lewd grin when she spots Ashton in the nuddy at the fridge!!..Judiths reaction was the same....again, all typical flow-ons for those particular characters..

People look for too many deep and meaningful reasons for things, instead of just accepting it for what it is...light and fluffy, funny sit-com, which may or may not be real life stuff, but who cares, most of us like the show for what it is!

...but I reckon if a couple in their eighties can watch, laugh and enjoy the show, it must have something going for it!.

Yes, IMO. TV shows set their own standard of realism, and that's the standard they should follow. A group of aliens taking John Edward away from Earth and off to the Biggest Douche in the Universe competition isn't out of place on South Park, but they could hardly have used that to explain Charlie's disappearance on a show like Two and a Half Men, could've they?

Not but they could have him meet his end (possibly) at the hands of a scorned ex-girlfriend, given the things that occurred to him during the series because he was a philandering bastard. Hell, Rose should have been arrested multiple times for the things she did to him out of spite, not to mention trespassing, theft, vandalism etc etc. She's not the only psychotic woman he crossed either. One woman extorted money from him by passing off a kid she was babysitting as Charlie's kid. Others tore him apart in a website they created about him, threatening all sorts of things.

Of course they only suggested Rose pushed him in front of a train. They have an out if he ever went back as she is mad enough to have him locked away somewhere indefinitely.

Not but they could have him meet his end (possibly) at the hands of a scorned ex-girlfriend, given the things that occurred to him during the series because he was a philandering bastard. Hell, Rose should have been arrested multiple times for the things she did to him out of spite, not to mention trespassing, theft, vandalism etc etc. She's not the only psychotic woman he crossed either. One woman extorted money from him by passing off a kid she was babysitting as Charlie's kid. Others tore him apart in a website they created about him, threatening all sorts of things.

Of course they only suggested Rose pushed him in front of a train. They have an out if he ever went back as she is mad enough to have him locked away somewhere indefinitely.
The potential loop to bring back CHarlie was one thing I did see.

The show was a little hit and miss with me. Some parts I liked\, I thought the celebrity cast role up wasn't needed. I thought at times they relied a little too much on stunts, rather then placing trust in the core cast that's been there for years.

WIll give it a few more weeks to see how it goes though.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Charlie said in an interview that if asked he would return to the show. Of course Chuck Lorre would have to chill out first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back