Rumour Two current AFL stars have lost $1 million each on the punt

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL has a lot to blame. Are we drafting to young. We are having a lot of players developing addictive personalities from being being driven to train hard and reward yourself. Cousins is great example of this. The biggest challenge in AFL players are their biggest strengths are their weaknesses. A lot of players have developed no social skills and struggled with personal demons.

Correct.

I got a life ban from Sportsbet for breaking ‘policy’ lmao. The 24 up promo was money making at its finest

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I had a hold put on a decent payout from a casual account. The payout far exceeded what I'd ever put in. Paid me eventually, then banned me. When I rang them about it, all I got was the rhubarb and some rubbish about computers automatically banning users due to unusual activities on dormant accounts.

a few years back there was an afl development camp in Bendigo. I was in a sports bar and these kids walked in probably about 10 or more , all wearing afl apparel. All were on the punt at the electronic betting machine. The afl need to scrap all this Taurus excreta advertising pronto and us parents also need to do our bit as well.

What ever happened to personal responsibility. Seems to be everyone else's fault especially the AFL's when an individual player gets hooked on the booze, punt, drugs or is involved in some unsavoury incident. Some AFL players need to have a good hard look at themselves. Grow up, live and act like pro athletes and not suburban bogans having a kick with mates on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few years back, when he was first appointed coach of the Suns, Rocket was being interviewed on SEN and the host asked him, when thinking about the young and impressionable players he was now the coach, what kept him up at night, and without any hesitation whatsoever he said “gambling”.

The AFL is beholden to the betting companies - nothing but lip service until that changes.

What ever happened to personal responsibility. Seems to be everyone else's fault especially the AFL's when an individual player gets hooked on the booze, punt, drugs or is involved in some unsavoury incident. Some AFL players need to have a good hard look at themselves. Grow up, live and act like pro athletes and not suburban bogans having a kick with mates on the weekend.
I don't think it's about a lack of self accountability, and it's definitely not as easy as just snapping out of it. Sure, at the end of the day it is a choice but it's a lot more complicated than just saying no when you've already fallen into that hole.

Gambling is a massive issue across Australia with young men, not just in the AFL and it's being shoved down everyone's throats. It sends a direct message to young impressionable kids that gambling is normal, and that it's what men do so the precedent is set very early on. It was mentioned in another thread that an American friend who was visiting Australia said what shocked him the most was how much online gambling is advertised and how easily accessible it all is.

The US have only recently regulated online betting so to come from a country where it's non existent to Australia is mind blowing, whereas for us it's just 'normal'. Coming into an AFL environment players are under extreme pressure and often have massive issues dealing with it. They have a lot of down time and a very expendable income, punting can often just start as a fun way to pass time. It can become an addiction so fast and easily that you don't even notice, and then fall into a hole of chasing your losses or have the mindset that you're still coming out on top, in denial. It would be an extremely difficult thing to admit to for some people so I would say many players and punters in general don't speak up at all.

Given the pressures they're under and all the anxieties that players face on a daily basis recreational drug use is also an easy escape from that reality - as is alcohol. There simply isn't enough being done by the AFL, they can come out and say whatever they like to defend their brand but money talks and what they earn from corporate bookies directly or indirectly will always be too much for their greedy pockets to turn down.

If anyone is struggling with gambling there's always help available at any time, don't shy away or be ashamed. 1800 858 858.

Last edited:
Is it any wonder the AFLPA is scathing of Jan Beames? She hasn’t named the 2 players but has opened a can of worms on social media. How many footballers have been named in this thread? 6- 8

Last edited:
I punt most weeks and have done since the days I got $10 for mowing the lawn and its all about personal responsibility. When I first started getting proper paycheques at 18 I'd blow it all but thats my fault. Nowadays its in my budget like people budget for clothes, concerts etc. But if the AFL want to do left-wing crap like change their emblem to support equal marriage rights (personally I voted yes but its not up to AFL to shove it down throats), womens round, Indigenous round, etc then as an organisation they need to look in their own backyard and be held accountable for not doing more for footballers lives outside of football. The hypocrisy is laughable.

Serious question - do Lions players get betting accounts and credits as part of their major sponsor agreement?

No conflict of interest at all from the AFL being concerned about players welfare and allowing gambling sponsorship.

And remember, gamble responsibly on the most inane exotic crap you could ever imagine to responsibly lose your money
The "gamble responsibly" warning on the ads is purely for legal purposes so punters who bet away the family home don't come after them with a no-win/no-fee legal firm. Betting companies couldn't give two f***s about responsible gambling. Any time you get a gambling industry spokesperson speaking up for the decency of the industry you can spot when they are lying because it starts when they open their mouth, and it doesn't stop until they close it.

Geez I Blown Big Shekels and Betting Even After Millions Sunk .
On MMM Footy Facebook page, Sloane did a interview on why Gibbs is missing... You should of seen all the comments about its cos of the rumours about him gambling... The next day I thought I'd go back and see what over comments there was... MMM deleted all the comments about Gambling....:think::think:

On MMM Footy Facebook page, Sloane did a interview on why Gibbs is missing... You should of seen all the comments about its cos of the rumours about him gambling... The next day I thought I'd go back and see what over comments there was... MMM deleted all the comments about Gambling....:think::think:
Not surprising is it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back