Rumour Two current AFL stars have lost $1 million each on the punt

beaglebombs

Senior List
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Curious, so you budget to lose money then, over the long term?
As the old saying goes, the house always gets you.
Not having a go at you, if it’s money you can afford to lose and you put aside say 50 a week knowing it won’t come back the pen fair enough, it’s your entertainment dollar i guess.
No it doesn't you're wrong! You can easly shift that edge on a roulette wheel by understanding a portion of the wheel where the ball is likely to land including scatter (ball movement), croupier etc i'm here to tell you many many people win and create an edge this way. It's like saying the house always wins or won in Blackjack but then 'card counters' came along....voila, an edge, so the the house doesnt always win!

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
UMM no, some smart bettors / punters can make millions from it, find an edge and bang! heard of Zelko? (doubt it)

Lol, You should probably spell his name right if you want to use him to advance your argument.

For every single gambling "success story" are 1,000s in a downward spiral from gambling, and a percentage of those who have lost their families or homes.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol, You should probably spell his name right if you want to use him to advance your argument.

For every single gambling "success story" are 1,000s in a downward spiral from gambling, and a percentage of those who have lost their families or homes.
& it was their choice. For every choice you make in life there is a consequence...

Betting on sports isn't evil. Perhaps the advertising is OTT but people losing doesn't mean it should be banned. People lose on the ASX but if you're willing to put the time in you can reap the rewards

I make a pretty steady second income betting on fights, occasional NBA/AFL bet. Usually pay for a holiday each year from it but I research and put the time in to do so. Isn't my fault some idiot bets more than he can afford to lose on the opposing fighter. Just like it isn't a traders fault an idiot sells the bottom for him to scoop up and sell on later for a profit

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
& it was their choice. For every choice you make in life there is a consequence...

Betting on sports isn't evil. Perhaps the advertising is OTT but people losing doesn't mean it should be banned.

Straw man argument.

No one is saying it's evil or should be banned.

ASX doesn't advertise heavily on prime time TV nor have "stock trading" machines at pubs nor big venues with flashy lights and entertainment.

Due to gambling there are at least a dozen major Gambling help organisations in each state. It's not a minor issue. The losers far far outweigh the winners. So yes, a lot "investing" in gambling should stick to a regular job.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
Actually, 24,000 would be an entirely valid representation of 25 million people. Provided the survey was genuinely random. The number of people required to be statistically relevant is almost always smaller than people think.
Mate told me a mate of his told him ages ago that he saw Beams on the punt at a horse meeting and was dropping $2,000 on the nose each race and losing all of them.
Which mate was that?

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood
UMM no, some smart bettors / punters can make millions from it, find an edge and bang! heard of Zelko? (doubt it)

Zelko is a legend. And David Walsh. Gambling paid for MONA and Walsh's fortune. These 2 were banned from Burswood back in their uni days for card counting at the blackjack tables well before the 'punters club' was formed. Zelko can't lose because he has deals with various parimutuel betting operators where he receives rebates on each race he bets on. When he actually backs the winner, it is a free for all. The only agency that gives punters free reign is betfair, as they are nothing more than an exchange matching backers and layers, and taking their percentage of winnings - but they don't ban you, the more you bet the better for them. Anyone that wins regualrly with the other online agencies gets cut off from betting with them either altogether, or from using the products you've been winning on. Amongst all their advertising and fan fare joints like sportsbet don't let on about that do they??

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the outset I have no idea who they are. That said, and using my intuition, I have no problem accepting Beams. But Gibbs?
So assuming the correctness of the allegations against Beams and Gibbs let me say this.
Beams is an obvious Bogan who came from a culture where betting was de riguer.
Gibbs, not so.
So with Gibbs we have to ask what is the cause or what are the causes of his addiction?
An addiction to gambling is normally cultural (assume Beams) or psychological, which includes psycho- sexual, (assume Gibbs).
It’s never a Black and White issue.
That is hilarious Percy! Surely you are pointing Percy at the porcelain and taking the piss? Everything you you have said is presumption ... and I am guessing from a private school boy ... which is also presumption ... but you sound ridiculous.

beaglebombs

Senior List
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Zhelijko - sorry! point is it's possible..same as in the the financial and derivates...!!

SpInNeR

All Australian
Sep 18, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool, Avalanche
Interestingly, on their podcast yesterday Hutchy and Damo confirmed that the two named players are actually in significant amounts of debt.

Yep noticed the same thing, validated that they know who the players are as all other journos would too.

Gave substance to that the rumour was true.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone see that instagram screenshot ol Beamsy put up? Some little pisspants messaged him going 'want a bet this afternoon mate?' and Beams went back. This kid replied with 'at least my dad isn't dead.'

Now I just think ol Beamer is an unintelligent guy who was given the heady cocktail of money, time, and freedom. Doesn't deserve hearing that from some little dicklet.

But by the same token, c'mon Dayne... you've just completely outed yourself as one of the guys in gambling debt! Far out!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone see that instagram screenshot ol Beamsy put up? Some little pisspants messaged him going 'want a bet this afternoon mate?' and Beams went back. This kid replied with 'at least my dad isn't dead.'

Now I just think ol Beamer is an unintelligent guy who was given the heady cocktail of money, time, and freedom. Doesn't deserve hearing that from some little dicklet.

But by the same token, c'mon Dayne... you've just completely outed yourself as one of the guys in gambling debt! Far out!
Social media is a sewer. You're right, he doesn't deserve to hear crap like that from anyone, but what the hell is he doing engaging them at all.

Juddism

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont Football Club
You've got washed up AFL players hovering around clubs telling current players to get on this and that, buy a stake in this horse, etc etc etc, and those retired players seem to be working for Sportsbet, TAB etc. It's a total recipe for disaster.

Instead of getting educated on punting current players should be getting education and skills that will be useful when they retire. This is a never-ending cycle with these cashed up morons. It'll never end when you have morons like Brownless etc saying "had a bet on this." They give credibility to this s**t when there is nothing to be gained.

You can see it now. Beams will be another Cousins or Thompson.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone who doesn't believe 99% of these betting agencies are scum simply don't realise that these companies don't play fair.

Lose a fortune, they happily accept every single on of your bets without any hard restrictions.

But start to win anywhere close to a "fortune", and they'll put hard restrictions on you.

Deadset F#kn scumdog millionaires.

Juddism

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont Football Club
Anyone who doesn't believe 99% of these betting agencies are scum simply don't realise that these companies don't play fair.

Lose a fortune, they happily accept every single on of your bets without any hard restrictions.

But start to win anywhere close to a "fortune", and they'll put hard restrictions on you.

And they use athletes fame to hook more people. It's insidious. I said this before, AFL needs to put a caveat on ex players working for these establishments and also interacting with former team-mates etc.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Social media is a sewer. You're right, he doesn't deserve to hear crap like that from anyone, but what the hell is he doing engaging them at all.
He doesn't deserve that at all but I'd love to know what he wrote back (not that is warrants the bullshit he received). The screenshot I saw it was all blacked out

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

What if they lost their money on betfair?

At uni one day a bunch of us were sitting in the lab and the subject of heroin came up. One dude - who I confess always got better marks than me - said "Heroin's OK, as long as you know what you're doing".

The world of addiction is full of people who think they know what they're doing.

StevieJ83

Senior List
Apr 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1 Team
What if they lost their money on betfair?

Not thats it's neither here nor there, but Corporates will often use Betfair to balance their own books, the reality of Betfair is you don't know who you are betting with.

Back