Review Two goals in a derby, it's over - Rd 16, 2019

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a horrible game.

We lost this one at the selection table, long before the first bounce. We’ve been an average clearance side all year, yet we persist with playing one of our best ball-winners in Blakely, in defence. Putting Blakely in the midfield from the outset may not have changed the outcome of the match, but it sure as hell would have evened up the centre-square contest and given us much more of a chance.

What happened as a result? Blakely was directly responsible for about 5 WC goals because his opponent was left unmarked, or he was out of position, and it contributed to their momentum.

You’d also think that our coaches and players would have learnt by now not to bomb the ball onto the heads of McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, and Sheppard. Yet it still happens when we play them. Every. Single. Time. If the players are instructed to play on at all costs, then there’s a big coaching issue at our club because you’ve got to pick your way through the zone – especially in the wet weather.

The result of our season’s going to depend on the results of others now. I think the club will give Ross a strong indication of where he sits in the club’s plans at the end of this year, regardless of whether we make finals or not.

Last edited:

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Weak as pi55!!!
First flag won't arrive in the next 25 years

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
What a horrible game.

We lost this one at the selection table long before the first bounce. We’ve been an average clearance side all year and yet we persist with playing one of our best ball-winners in Blakely, in defence. Putting Blakely in the midfield from the outset may not have changed the outcome of the match, but it sure as hell would have evened up the centre-square contest and given us much more of a chance.

What happened as a result? Blakely was directly responsible for about 5 Eagles goals because his opponent was left unmarked, or he was out of position, and it contributed to the momentum of WC.

You’d also think that our coaches and players would have learnt by now not to bomb the ball onto the heads of McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, and Sheppard. Yet it still happens when we play them. Every. Single. Time. If the players are instructed to play on at all costs, then there’s a big coaching issue at our club because you’ve got to pick your way through the zone – especially in the wet weather.

The result of our season’s going to depend on the results of others now. I think the club will give Ross a strong indication of where he sits in the club’s plans at the end of this year, regardless of whether we make finals or not.

Blakely marking Darling while Logue went forward was incomprehensible.
Cerra went forward when the game was gone - didn’t even get a crack at a go in the guts??

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't wait to hear Ross tell everyone in his presser that the F50 entries were fairly even, and that we had our chances.

Then he'll fail to mention that the quality of those entries are just as important, and that our forwards can't perform miracles with said sh*t entries.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crowden and Colyer, please never play for us again.

Not once did I see us try and take the game on and go through the middle. Every time we moved the ball it was a high/long kick up the boundary to either turn it over or they had a spare at the back of the contest and carved us up with loose men everywhere.

They handled the ball a million times better than us; it looked like we were playing with a bat of soap and they were so clean.

Rest Fyfe to get over his elbow injury, get the best draft pick we can.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we lose as I suspect next week against Hawks (in Tas). Tomorrow North beat St Kilda, next week Sydney beat Carlton and also next week WB beat Melbourne - all very likely. We will be 14th on the ladder. Will give us pick 5 in the ND 😟

If this season (which seems to be the case right now) heads the direction of 2017/18 post bye then there needs to be serious questions and changes made. How can we fall away so much after playing 13 games each of 3-4 years. Same s*#t different stench.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm pretty sure every single Freo crab got beaten by their man tonight. This is a low point in a pretty shitty 25 years. I'm seriously wondering why I support this club. The players don't give a s**t, the coach doesn't have a clue and everyone else just laughs at us. Forever Freo? More like Forever Failure. Unlike people inside the club I can't accept this mediocre garbage anymore. Time for heads to roll.

Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So angry and filthy at this game, impossible not to melt. For me the only ones who escape blame are the forwards, just because they had nothing to deal with.

What were the selection team thinking with Sandilands he looked so undercooked it was crazy. Don't get me started on the dumb disposals and ball movement.

I'm now in the Ross out camp, I just don't believe the list is that bad.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crowden and Colyer, please never play for us again.

Not once did I see us try and take the game on and go through the middle. Every time we moved the ball it was a high/long kick up the boundary to either turn it over or they had a spare at the back of the contest and carved us up with loose men everywhere.

They handled the ball a million times better than us; it looked like we were playing with a bat of soap and they were so clean.

Rest Fyfe to get over his elbow injury, get the best draft pick we can.

It was the same in the WAFL game.

Back