Review Two goals in a derby, it's over - Rd 16, 2019

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Guys, I come in peace.
I’ve only caught up with your score now.
You’re obviously hurting so my question will touch a tender spot.
But, I am not trolling.
How does a team kick 2 goals 19 behinds?
In fifty years, I have never seen a score like that.

cardamon

Senior List
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys, I come in peace.
I’ve only caught up with your score now.
You’re obviously hurting so my question will touch a tender spot.
But, I am not trolling.
How does a team kick 2 goals 19 behinds?
In fifty years, I have never seen a score like that.

Lot of rushed behinds and at least 8 or so years of supposedly not training skills. Its definitely a real 'freo' scoreline

Goldy McH

Rookie
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Peel kicked three goals yesterday. Both clubs combined for five goals in two matches against the Eagles.

We’re in a dire spot offensively.
In fact our entire contingent of afl players at Peel managed a grand total of two points. That's a coaching issue from top to bottom

Lord Laud

Debutant
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
To me the most concerning thing at the moment is that Cerra and Brayshaw appear to be stalling in their development. But maybe it’s just that their bodies aren’t ready to play the positions you need them to play.

That's what happens when you are played out of position.

Lord Laud

Debutant
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hughes played on him last time, and actually dominated him.

Pretty sure Hughes was on Darling for most of the second quarter. Can't be sure for how long, as I went to the Sky View to get the full strength stuff when the margin hit 30 points. Left there for the Riverview when it got to 60 points so I didn't have to see all the gloating Eagles supporters. It's the first time I have ever not hated the Eagles after a derby. I reckon they won't drop another game this season and go back to back.

Lord Laud

Debutant
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll bite...explain how Bell is a charlatan?

He claimed to bring a tough no-nonsense approach to fixing the club. Instead, he is getted whipped by Lyon and Rosich. For example, our player selection is getting worse. The incidence of injuries to key players and ongoing management is getting worse. Forward efficiency is getting worse, yet Guerra and Hale are still forward coaches.

If he is serious, Bell must demand the CEO role next year and tell the board to get packing. Or quit.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
How has David Hale kept his job for this long, seriously. He’s overseen our shambles of a forward line since 2016. Non existent leading patterns, or chemistry between forwards no matter who we put there. Our leading goal kicker had about 20 odd goals the last 2 years, any serious club would have turfed him a long time ago.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
How has David Hale kept his job for this long, seriously. He’s overseen our shambles of a forward line since 2016. Non existent leading patterns, or chemistry between forwards no matter who we put there. Our leading goal kicker had about 20 odd goals the last 2 years, any serious club would have turfed him a long time ago.

Maybe we should go back to the one we had before Hale? How did they go?

Or maybe we go back to the one before, the one before Hale? Or the one before that?

Under Ross, the best results we’ve had were when Sumich was forwardline coach. The issue is not with our forward line coach.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Typical. Win the inside 50 count and score 2 goals, while our opponent kicks a lazy 19

We only had one fewer mark inside 50 than them as well. Once again, it's quality not quantity we are getting found out for (whether it be clearances, inside 50s, hit outs, marks inside 50, disposals etc.)

sounda

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually I’ve got a few mates who are Eagles supporters and I can completely understand their condescending attitude towards Freo.
Their club is successful, ruthless and extremely professional in every aspect.

Fremantle on the other hand are regarded as a joke, not just by Eagles supporters, but in the general AFL community.
And we deserve it..

Yep ... I think you're right. I think our club is ruthless and extremely professional. There is no way the WCE would have re-signed Ballantyne and Bennell. Jeez ... Ballas even wanted to jump ship and join us! You guys should have told him to F-Off back then.

And I have a more than one mate who is a Freo supporter and they are bloody hard core Freo supporters. I respect them for that as they just keep on backing them, pay their membership every year, turn up to every game and are positive no matter what happens.

I really did feel for them after the game - I went to the game and sat near them.

Fact is, I actually have memberships to both clubs as I love going to the footy. I like catching up with my friends at both games. However, I am a WCE supporter through and through and I don't mind Freo doing well if they are not playing us.

On Saturday night I sat near my mates and they spent most of the game shaking their heads and they looked completely bewildered. I went to the Carlton game the previous week. On Saturday, I couldn't even bring myself to gloat at them and they were expecting it. I think some soft free kicks went our way as well but that's not the story of the night.

Anyway, I am not here to gloat. It is what it is.

As I said, I am an official Freo member as well so I feel ok coming onto this section of the BF site.

If, I could offer one observation as a member of both clubs and a member who goes to both games, I reckon that the key difference (from a spectators perspective) is that the WCE supporters seem to expect to win every week (unrealistic as that is) but they expect to win every time they enter the stadium. And they will knock out any perceived weak link in the club.

What's my point? Those expectations carry throughout the club - down to the Board - down to the administrators - down to the coaches and down to the players. It becomes the culture. There are times when I think my fellow WCE supporters are far too harsh on some of our players. Even poor old Simmo had what was perceived as a 'down' year in 2016 and some were calling for his head - serious?? But there it is.

The Freo supporters seem to just hope to win but do not really expect to win. As I said - just my observations. They are as passionate as any group of supporters that I have seen. They need, no they must, hold the Board, the coaching staff and the players to a much higher standard.

I think all Fremantle members should contact the club today and say,

"Enough of this crap - ENOUGH - FFS stop hanging on to all of the dead wood at OUR club. We need something new because it cannot be as bad as what we are doing now - change the coach to start with".

Lyon does absolutely nothing for me - he fronts up to the press conference spews all of the same cliches and he could not even be bothered apologising to the Freo members for such an insipid performance. If any game was worthy of a coach's apology to the members - that was it!

Sure ... teams will lose games and sometimes lose some games big time - but all successful organisations draw the line somewhere. Losses like that are, in my opinion, very obvious indicators that some fundamental change is required. So ... just make the change and breathe some fresh air into the club, for the players, and most importantly for the poor long suffering members who pay out their hard earned cash in membership fees year after year.

Gold Coast (no hope to achieve anything) and GWS (and if these guys ever achieve anything they have no supporters to share it with) are the money sucking joke clubs.

Freo supporters and members should hold the hammer over their Board and collectively say, "Act now and we mean right F&^%$ing now and start building a culture of success or, we will F$#% you lot off as well."

Good luck for the rest of the season. I'll still go to the games because I love the atmosphere and live footy so here's hoping for better things.

Last edited:

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Chicken or the egg?

Are the eagles well run and successful because their supporters expect them to win? Or do their supporters expect them to win because they're well run and successful?

I say the latter. Carlton supporters always expected their club to win too, that coincidentally stopped helping them once the club was no longer well run.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chicken or the egg?

Are the eagles well run and successful because their supporters expect them to win? Or do their supporters expect them to win because they're well run and successful?

I say the latter. Carlton supporters always expected their club to win too, that coincidentally stopped helping them once the club was no longer well run.
Yeah, find this analogy(supporters “expect “success therefore their club is or even more laughable clubs supporters of unsuccessful clubs “tolerate” losing because their clubs are,the biggest load of bull**** going in Footy circles.
And that’s saying something.

I mean seriously, fo people genuinely believe say supporter of hawthorn wants a flag any more than a supporter of St Kilda ??... if anything you d likely find the opposite, simply due to the lack of success for the latter.
In fact I’d hazard a guess it’s the desperation for success that sees clubs like St Kilda and the like often make change BECAUSE of a restless supporter base when often all that was needed was a bit of holding firm and backing in of the process.

Something most of the successful clubs do because they trust in themselves and not what old Meryl and co in block 245 row G think instead.

Back