Review Two goals in a derby, it's over - Rd 16, 2019

Becky2Belts

Senior List
May 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think the supporters have much to do with it at all.

The eagles are just a well oiled machine. A club culture built around success. Once the wheels start to fall off, Jeppy is on the phone, Nisbett's called in the board and plans are being discussed. Long term "rebuilds" are not accepted.
There was genuine pressure on Adam Simpson in 2017 because the eagles weren’t delivering, and that was a year that they won a final. Meanwhile we announce rebuilds and post tables of how old our list is to explain away shortcomings. Very frustrating juxtaposition.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
He claimed to bring a tough no-nonsense approach to fixing the club. Instead, he is getted whipped by Lyon and Rosich. For example, our player selection is getting worse. The incidence of injuries to key players and ongoing management is getting worse. Forward efficiency is getting worse, yet Guerra and Hale are still forward coaches.

If he is serious, Bell must demand the CEO role next year and tell the board to get packing. Or quit.
You do know that the board picks the CEO right?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, find this analogy(supporters “expect “success therefore their club is or even more laughable clubs supporters of unsuccessful clubs “tolerate” losing because their clubs are,the biggest load of bull**** going in Footy circles.
And that’s saying something.

I mean seriously, fo people genuinely believe say supporter of hawthorn wants a flag any more than a supporter of St Kilda ??... if anything you d likely find the opposite, simply due to the lack of success for the latter.
In fact I’d hazard a guess it’s the desperation for success that sees clubs like St Kilda and the like often make change BECAUSE of a restless supporter base when often all that was needed was a bit of holding firm and backing in of the process.

Something most of the successful clubs do because they trust in themselves and not what old Meryl and co in block 245 row G think instead.

Yep. The ownership structure of the WA clubs gives members the least power of all clubs. So I didn't buy the members of the eagles have any influence over how well they are run (brilliant and ruthless I agree).
The big advantage the eagles have is the extra corporate and media support - that sets up a structure of excellence begetting excellence that we can't match. The ignorant *ers supporting them are manipulated corporate fodder, it's laughable that they think that they matter

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I don't think the supporters have much to do with it at all.
The ignorant f***ers supporting them are manipulated corporate fodder, it's laughable that they think that they matter
Yep, they jump on a winning team then act like their own sense of entitlement is responsible for that winning. It's pretty amusing really.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
This encapsulates an eagles fan perfectly, I work with a die hard eagle fan (a really cool dude mind you) but before the derby he was saying “if you blokes can go to kardinya park and knock of the cats then we’re (weagles) are in for a fight”. He was talking about the time Stephen hill ran the length of the ground to ice the game. And that’s a typical eagles fan for ya don’t know what the * thier on about but they’ll talk s**t anyway..

sounda

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep. The ownership structure of the WA clubs gives members the least power of all clubs. So I didn't buy the members of the eagles have any influence over how well they are run (brilliant and ruthless I agree).
The big advantage the eagles have is the extra corporate and media support - that sets up a structure of excellence begetting excellence that we can't match. The ignorant f***ers supporting them are manipulated corporate fodder, it's laughable that they think that they matter

You can disagree all you like but do you need the name calling and "corporate fodder" nonsense to make a point? This is why the stadium never fills for a Freo game - I know I go!! Many, many people reject the negative attitude and finger pointing culture that envelops the club.

Freo can't sell all their seats for home games and WCE have a 10,000+ wait list - go figure! Name calling wont fix that - as it happens!

Anyway, made my point - leave it to you guys.

And despite the name calling - good luck to all Freo fans for the rest of the year!

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can disagree all you like but do you need the name calling and "corporate fodder" nonsense to make a point? This is why the stadium never fills for a Freo game - I know I go!! Many, many people reject the negative attitude and finger pointing culture that envelops the club.

Freo can't sell all their seats for home games and WCE have a 10,000+ wait list - go figure! Name calling wont fix that - as it happens!

Anyway, made my point - leave it to you guys.

And despite the name calling - good luck to all Freo fans for the rest of the year!

It's laughable that you think you matter

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
lmao, I'd say around half of the Eagles' supporters on BF wanted to sack Adam Simpson a couple of years ago, me of all people was actually defending him at the time.

Most of their supporters are ****in idiots.
The irony if Ross Lyon wins one for us in the next couple of years

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi all, new to this so a bit late to the party. My take on Ross is that he was at the peak of his powers when he lead the defence revolution in the AFL. Starting at St Kilda he made defence cool & others battled to keep up. When he came to Freo, he introduced his style & got results. Clarkson caught on, but was able to attack as well.
Ross panicked & thought shivers we need to be like Hawthorn & bought in Hale, Guerra & other Hawthorn identities. Problem is he/Freo had recruited hard nose big bodied mids who couldn’t hit the side of a shed from 10m away along with dogged half backs who were too scared to run & defensive small forwards who thought tackles made were far more important than kicking goals.
2016 came along & Freo were trying play like Hawthorn, hence Owen was around early & the same players who finished top the year before, went south in a hurry because they couldn’t play like Hawthorn, ie hit a target & attack.
Since then it has been a mixture of both styles (during the rebuild haha), the season starts out attacking, mixed results & the game style changes to hold on & let’s not get blown away.
I don’t think Ross has it in him to find that balance between defence & attack to ensure on turnover there are enough players pushing forward to allow easy forward 50 entries & Saturday was the microcosm of this. Weagles wanted & allowed those crap highball entries to allow the easy transition back the other way. Let’s face it Freos best runners only run one way!!
Rioli, Cameron, Cripps, Ryan etc all had a ball while Barrass, McGovern & Shepard laughed most of the night at Freos game plan with Simpson continually mouthing ‘I told you so’ to his assistants as Freo kept bombing it in.
Sorry, a bit long, but the bottom line is I don’t think Ross has it in him. Additionally it is clear that coaching has hit a breaking point across the AFL were we now have hit the point where teams are being over coached & players are forgetting their natural instinct in trying to satisfy their coaches instructions. Ie far too many instructions & I think Ross falls into this along with the likes of Bolton, Brad Scott, Alan Richardson & perhaps controversially Don Pyle.
Freo need a young, new modern coach who thinks goals kicked are just as important as goals saved! Personally I’d have a chat with Justin Longmuir.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Ok I have returned after my 2 week suspension.

It was a weird feeling at the end of the game. I wasnt angry. Shocked to be honest. But if you look at Freo in the last 3 years, especially in 2017 and 2018, there is a massive gap between our best games and worst games. Sadly the derby was easily our worst game this season.

Yeah we kicked 2.12 at 3 quarter time. But we should of kicked 4.10 or 5.9.

Yeah we kicked 2.19 when the game ended. But it wasnt like we didnt have any forward chances. half of those behinds we got were rushed. The other half were sprayed shots. didnt we hit the post 2-4 times?

Fortunately we are judged on 22 games, not on one.

I cant belive I am saying this. I think we are missing tabs big time in our forward structure.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I can believe I am saying this.....

There were a few positives that came out of this.

-We kicked 2 goals. Better than out 1.7.13 back in 2009 vs the crows.

-we didnt get pumped by 100 points.

- It took us 16 rounds to finally get pumped by 50 points or more this season. Yeah we got beaten by richmond by 25 points but in reality we were down by 50 points in the 4th and kicked 4 more goals to make it respectable. In 2018, we got pumped by 50 points or more 9 times. 4 of those losses happened between rounds 1-14. Round 15 we had the bye. the other 5 game between rounds 16-23 after the bye. It was mainly due to 2 reasons. one of them was injuries to experienced players and the other was playing more youth ironically due to injured experienced players.

-Happy to see Logue back on the park again after his injuries.

-I think this will be the worst game we will have this season. In the last 3 years, our form changes from good to bad. Remember, we lost by 89 points in round 2 vs Port in 2017 in Adelaide. 6 days later, we beat the dogs in Perth.

- I doubt freo will lose every game From now until the end of this season. Freo have 2 winnable home games vs Swans and Bombers. the 2 away games i also find winnable are the dogs and saints both at Docklands.

Speaking of the Freo vs Swans game. I will travel from Adelaide to go to that game. this is my 3rd dockers game I have travelled to. I have every time I have travelled to see freo play in WA, they have won. the other 2 games I went to was Pavs 250th in 2011 vs the suns and round 22, 2013 vs Port.

So I expect that streak to remain in Tact!

Funkster

Rookie
Sep 24, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Read through some of this thread, I'm a bit surprised some people saw it as bad as it was. I mean, it was bad, but really, the worst of it was kicking at goal. I know that's the obvious thing, but we weren't quite as bad as the shoreline suggests and I think that's obvious. It's not like it's been like this all season. In fact, when you think of where we've come from in the last few years, this loss as the worst for the season - so far, touch wood - still is fairly mild in comparison.

That said, the missed opportunities and general fwd thrusts were so so clumsy and stupid that it really did stand out. It just made the whole team look worse than they probably are. Hopefully this hasn't completely destroyed the team's confidence because if this team don't lift for Tassie, it will make the Derby loss look like a rose garden.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
Read through some of this thread, I'm a bit surprised some people saw it as bad as it was. I mean, it was bad, but really, the worst of it was kicking at goal. I know that's the obvious thing, but we weren't quite as bad as the shoreline suggests and I think that's obvious. It's not like it's been like this all season. In fact, when you think of where we've come from in the last few years, this loss as the worst for the season - so far, touch wood - still is fairly mild in comparison.

That said, the missed opportunities and general fwd thrusts were so so clumsy and stupid that it really did stand out. It just made the whole team look worse than they probably are. Hopefully this hasn't completely destroyed the team's confidence because if this team don't lift for Tassie, it will make the Derby loss look like a rose garden.
I think the biggest issue was the second quarter, after a fairly even first quarter to get absolutely belted in rain for most of it to the tune of 8 goals was soul destroying

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
That said, the missed opportunities and general fwd thrusts were so so clumsy and stupid that it really did stand out. It just made the whole team look worse than they probably are.

It's the same every week though. The reality is that's how bad we actually are.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can believe I am saying this.....

There were a few positives that came out of this.

-We kicked 2 goals. Better than out 1.7.13 back in 2009 vs the crows.

-we didnt get pumped by 100 points.

- It took us 16 rounds to finally get pumped by 50 points or more this season. Yeah we got beaten by richmond by 25 points but in reality we were down by 50 points in the 4th and kicked 4 more goals to make it respectable. In 2018, we got pumped by 50 points or more 9 times. 4 of those losses happened between rounds 1-14. Round 15 we had the bye. the other 5 game between rounds 16-23 after the bye. It was mainly due to 2 reasons. one of them was injuries to experienced players and the other was playing more youth ironically due to injured experienced players.

-Happy to see Logue back on the park again after his injuries.

-I think this will be the worst game we will have this season. In the last 3 years, our form changes from good to bad. Remember, we lost by 89 points in round 2 vs Port in 2017 in Adelaide. 6 days later, we beat the dogs in Perth.

- I doubt freo will lose every game From now until the end of this season. Freo have 2 winnable home games vs Swans and Bombers. the 2 away games i also find winnable are the dogs and saints both at Docklands.

Speaking of the Freo vs Swans game. I will travel from Adelaide to go to that game. this is my 3rd dockers game I have travelled to. I have every time I have travelled to see freo play in WA, they have won. the other 2 games I went to was Pavs 250th in 2011 vs the suns and round 22, 2013 vs Port.

So I expect that streak to remain in Tact!

If it stays intact and you don’t come across for the next derby you are no true Freo fan

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Yep, they jump on a winning team then act like their own sense of entitlement is responsible for that winning. It's pretty amusing really.
Saw one of the most arrogant comments by a WC supporter the other day , Went something like this we are the premiership club and the richest club in the league , So why have we been fixtured to play melbourne in Darwin?If that is not arrogance what is?

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
I think the biggest issue was the second quarter, after a fairly even first quarter to get absolutely belted in rain for most of it to the tune of 8 goals was soul destroying
The second quarter was the one that lost it against Carlton as well.

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw one of the most arrogant comments by a WC supporter the other day , Went something like this we are the premiership club and the richest club in the league , So why have we been fixtured to play melbourne in Darwin?If that is not arrogance what is?
Their reasoning needs a lot of work, but you can’t say freo supporters don’t question playing in Darwin too.

Lord Laud

Debutant
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You do know that the board picks the CEO right?

From my experience working in this space, that is not always the case. And in highly visible positions, outsiders will have a lot of say as well.

Since Bell was on the board, ex player, media personality, etc he holds a lot of sway at the club. There would have been certain conditions in him taking the appointment, which potentially puts him in the box seat.

The only question the board have to answer is whether Bell or Lyob is a long term proposition for the club's success. It won't be both.

Last edited:
Back