News Two more changes: Saunders (fitness) gone, Hurley New Football Operations Manager ...

Remove this Banner Ad

That's very interesting.

Could we have pulled off a coup ??

Would we even have room? Feel like we've signed a couple of guys, be great if true but we seem to be adding a lot of guys when the caps have been hit hard.

Wait and see, we should find out very soon if we have.

Would we even have room? Feel like we've signed a couple of guys, be great if true but we seem to be adding a lot of guys when the caps have been hit hard.

Wait and see, we should find out very soon if we have.
Burgess isn't coming this year. He's contracted and Melbourne aren't letting him go, their new bloke is coming in to replace Phill Merriman who joined Freo a couple of weeks ago as their new fitness manager.

Burgess isn't coming this year. He's contracted and Melbourne aren't letting him go, their new bloke is coming in to replace Phill Merriman who joined Freo a couple of weeks ago as their new fitness manager.
You're so negative

We hit our soft cap every year somehow. It certainly wasn't by paying staff what they were worth given our recent cleanout.

There's no evidence of that. From memory we've been one of 2 clubs that have declined to disclose that spend. When quizzed, Fagan always answers that the footy dept is fully resourced. I've heard that a few times but never a direct statement that we spend the full soft cap. We might have this year with payouts, but I have my doubts about previous years.

Sauce was incredibly selfish towards the end of his time - which was really disappointing from a guy that was considered a great club man.

Pretty much everyone that gets to their late 20s at the club is labelled a great club man. How would we know either way, it's pure assumption that tenure = great club man. People also assume every old player is a great leader around the club and critical to the development of our youth.

Had no problem with Jacobs not playing reserves

He was going to a new club. He was no longer our player. Had no contract at that stage either so an injury was career over. Expecting him to suit up is ridiculous and clearly we didn't.

Ruck Strachan or whoever instead, who's actually going to be here.

No benefit to us or Jacobs of him playing

On an importance scale of 1-10, reserves premierships are negative 6 billion

We had no other ruckman, Strachan was injured. He was still contracted to us and we'd have not pulled the offer if he did an ACL playing for our 2s. We're lots of things that are bad, ruthless list managers we are not. I don't care about SANFL premierships either, but that's a separate issue to Sauce's actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also an unsightly ranga. Who wants to engage with that?

I couldn't be less excited about his return to the club.

Him and Sauce are both poster boys of the senior player entitlement culture. And they're both back. At least Sauce is not in a footy role. Hopefully our new coaching guys drive change @nd the VBs and Thommos follow. Still ? On Nicks given where nearly all his experience came from, but it looks a pretty group.

We had no other ruckman, Strachan was injured. He was still contracted to us and we'd have not pulled the offer if he did an ACL playing for our 2s. We're lots of things that are bad, ruthless list managers we are not. I don't care about SANFL premierships either, but that's a separate issue to Sauce's actions.
All irrelevant

GWS offered Jacobs 2 years. We didn't want to match that. Our AFL season had finished.

It was over.

He was a contracted player, and he qualified for finals, it wasn't over for him.
Bock was contracted when he announced he was going to the Gold Coast the next season and that was it. Contract date be damned.

I wonder if Gibbs trained in the week after his farewell game?

No one outside of a dozen posters on this board think that.

He is a recognisable recent club champion, which is exactly the type that execs want to swan around with on Matchday.

I had pegged him as selfish back in 2016 which was further evidenced by his 2019 behaviour at not coming back in ahead of ROB. Having said that, I can't think of a recently retired player better suited for the role. It's not for everyone and I'd expect some would have no interest in doing it. Dougie is the only other that springs to mind, but he might prefer to stay in actual footy or head in a completely different direction.

Why didn't Bock suit up late in the season he left? Why didn't Gibbs keep training after the his farewell game this season?

What money? Our season had finished. You'd quibble over some post-season reserves money with a club 180 gamer that you were farewelling on good terms?

He did exactly what we wanted and he wanted. His playing career with us was over.

We didn't want them around and came to an agreement that sent them on gardening leave. Whereas we wanted Sauce to work till his last day and fulfill his obligations as per his playing contract.

We didn't want them around and came to an agreement that sent them on gardening leave. Whereas we wanted Sauce to work till his last day and fulfill his obligations as per his playing contract.
Obviously we didn't

Because we could see it was pointless for us given that he wasn't going to be playing for us anymore

Pointless for him because he didn't have a contract for the next season and would be needless risk

And obviously because no one cares whether the reserves win

Obviously we didn't

Because we could see it was pointless for us given that he wasn't going to be playing for us anymore

Pointless for him because he didn't have a contract for the next season and would be needless risk

And obviously because no one cares whether the reserves win
Maybe some of the reserves care

I get these are highly sort after positions but they're still junior roles relative to their industry. These guys dont take less money to get their foot in the door. A lot of the time they're recent retirees with no previous coaching experience. This is why you have senior coaches dictating how the club wants to develop its players. The development coaches just implement their ideas.

If the development is bad at your club, that speaks to the quality of recruitment and the senior coaches ability to nuture talent more than anything else.

I would prefer development coaches that are talented enough to work their way to line coach level. It might be where the least obvious talent get a start but that doesn't mean you should settle for guys that don't have the talent or drive to go further. I see them like rookies, if they're still development coaches after 2 years, swap them out. You want them being talented enough to be getting picked off by your competitors for higher roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back