News Two more changes: Saunders (fitness) gone, Hurley New Football Operations Manager ...

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

Does that rule out Balme now?
Saunders leaving announced on Ch7 news just now.
Are the Crows still shooting for Darren Burgess (ex-PA, ex-Arsenal, now with Melbourne; edited thanks to Magma )?

Now, to be rid of Hass ...

Last edited:

Hmmmmm. On the surface of it, Hurley looks like a sh!thouse appointment. Another SANFL person? Hardly picking from the top of the pile are you?

On the other hand, Kelley has been impressive and he obviously knows Hurley well.

I think I know why the news was released with less than an hour to the first final....

Hmmmmm. On the surface of it, Hurley looks like a sh!thouse appointment. Another SANFL person? Hardly picking from the top of the pile are you?
On the other hand, Kelley has been impressive and he obviously knows Hurley well.
I think I know why the news was released with less than an hour to the first final....
Beats me. Why, please?

Yeah, writing was on the wall for Saunders the moment we apparently made kangatech optional. Still, hopefully he keeps his doors open to players as a consultant.

Hurley... is an appointment. I don't know what a football operations manager does, though I suspect its a very admin heavy role.

Interesting appointment. To me "head of football" and "football ops manager" were very much one and the same.

Reads to me like Kelly's essentially become "pseudo CEO" of our AFL team with Hurley to handle a few more of the "nuts and bolts". Fagan appears to have been very much sidelined from this perspective, not that he ever had much to do with the area in the first place which was one of the issues.

I've always thought the Kelly appointment was a "CEO in waiting" type appointment. He spends a year or two as "Head of football" proving himself and getting to know the ropes, before taking over the entire operation. Him bringing in Hurley as his direct underling kind of fits with this, as the one to step in underhim when he takes over Fagan's role.

I don't know that I'm a massive plan of succession planning in football, but it seems to be what we're going for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, writing was on the wall for Saunders the moment we apparently made kangatech optional. Still, hopefully he keeps his doors open to players as a consultant.

Hurley... is an appointment. I don't know what a football operations manager does, though I suspect its a very admin heavy role.
North basically gave him open cheque book to come over. He would've been 1 of the highest paid employees at Adelaide. Personally, I don't think this is a reflection of what he was doing, more a reflection of what he was costing

North basically gave him open cheque book to come over. He would've been 1 of the highest paid employees at Adelaide. Personally, I don't think this is a reflection of what he was doing, more a reflection of what he was costing

Yeah, I agree. Especially as we made what he did optional due to Burton ******* it up.

Exactly with the significant drop in soft cap. It’s a luxury clubs can no longer have. I would think they would have a deal where the players go to him for consults.

Interesting appointment. To me "head of football" and "football ops manager" were very much one and the same.

Reads to me like Kelly's essentially become "pseudo CEO" of our AFL team with Hurley to handle a few more of the "nuts and bolts". Fagan appears to have been very much sidelined from this perspective, not that he ever had much to do with the area in the first place which was one of the issues.

I've always thought the Kelly appointment was a "CEO in waiting" type appointment. He spends a year or two as "Head of football" proving himself and getting to know the ropes, before taking over the entire operation. Him bringing in Hurley as his direct underling kind of fits with this, as the one to step in underhim when he takes over Fagan's role.

I don't know that I'm a massive plan of succession planning in football, but it seems to be what we're going for.

Having both a Head of Football and Football Operations Manager is common at other AFL clubs, such as Collingwood and the Bulldogs

We had a pretty bad run of hamstrings this year, so it might have been be a reflection of what he was doing, combined with what he was costing.

Fagan main job is ensuring the club/organisation makes a profit. Kelly job is managing the football department.

We had a pretty bad run of hamstrings this year, so it might have been be a reflection of what he was doing, combined with what he was costing.
North had an incredible run with soft tissue injuries while he was there. Over a number of seasons. Who knows what been going in the background?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back