News Two more changes: Saunders (fitness) gone, Hurley New Football Operations Manager ...

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Just needs to be thorough and a hard worker.
As someone else said this is really a nuts and bolts role.
Needs to de a very reliable and efficient worker behind the scenes.
If we don’t hear much from him it will be a goodthing

He was certainly thorough and hard working in my dealings :thumbsu:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
2019 was solid, certainly brought the rot back under control, but this year we had periods with 5-6 players out at the one time with Hamstrings, well above the rest of the comp.
Was it? Any data to support that?

I feel like there were a lot of clubs with injury issues due to the compressed season. Seemed like we did okay.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
What is Phil Harpers role?
Senior Director of Supply Chain Replenishment for Print/Copy Hardware

Just the paper though, they had to get someone else in to do the ink because he was at capacity.

I think he also still has that stretch project to sign Lance Franklin, mostly because no one took it away from him.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was it? Any data to support that?

I feel like there were a lot of clubs with injury issues due to the compressed season. Seemed like we did okay.

AFL injury data is notoriously hard to come by, but I'll give you what I can. Also worth noting that Steve Saunders was known for fudging the hamstring data that he submitted to the AFL whilst at the Kangaroos.

By round 12, we ranked 10th for games lost to "best 22 players" as per this article https://www.zerohanger.com/the-2020-injury-ladder-afl-56759/
- not horrible, but not great either. A long way off the best, but a fair way off the worst as well.
- worth noting that the article doesn't differentiate between soft tissue, collision/traumatic etc so difficult to completely extrapolate one way or the other. But you'd probably hope if we're paying the big bucks for Saunders, we'd be sitting a little better than "average".

Where it really kicked in though was at about r12 onwards though:
Round 13 (5 hamstrings on list) https://www.afl.com.au/news/487806/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-13
Round 14 (6 hamstring) https://www.afl.com.au/news/490862/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-14

Almost every other club for the corresponding rounds had between 0-2, a couple jump to 3 or 4 on one of the rounds.

We had it a bit more under control later in the season
Round 16 (4 hamstrings) https://www.afc.com.au/news/806244/injury-update-round-16
- I note they've even dropped Ayce Taylor off the list here, whom had been listed in round 13/14 as (Hamstring - season)

Whilst we certainly didn't reach the hamstring heights of 2017/18, we certainly did have some issues this year.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe Harper is being promoted to replace Smart when he goes full time to eSports and is off the payroll? Football operations was Harper's remit???

From memory it was until the Trigg/Tippett fiasco. Since then he's been GM of Football Administration. Which I think is largely logistical as opposed to performance. So, if the players somehow manage to run out on the ground with the correct kit at an away game and have a room to sleep in that night, you can thank Harper and his team of 20 for making that happen.

From memory it was until the Trigg/Tippett fiasco. Since then he's been GM of Football Administration. Which I think is largely logistical as opposed to performance. So, if the players somehow manage to run out on the ground with the correct kit at an away game and have a room to sleep in that night, you can thank Harper and his team of 20 for making that happen.
Is that what Hurley is now doing?

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

Does that rule out Balme now?
Saunders leaving announced on Ch7 news just now.
Are the Crows still shooting for Darren Burgess (ex-PA, ex-Arsenal, now with Melbourne; edited thanks to Magma )?

Now, to be rid of Hass ...
Balme has ruled himself out due to some sort of health issue, it is very vague but sounds relatively serious.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Tom is a very talented bloke.

After graduating uni he was the Chief Justice's Associate which is an extremely sought after role. Also only a few ACLs at bad times stopped him making the AFL as a player. Very decorated amateur career for Rostrevor Old Collegians since.

No idea whether this will work, but never hurts to bring in good people.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Tom is a very talented bloke.

After graduating uni he was the Chief Justice's Associate which is an extremely sought after role. Also only a few ACLs at bad times stopped him making the AFL as a player. Very decorated amateur career for Rostrevor Old Collegians since.

No idea whether this will work, but never hurts to bring in good people.
Yeah I've had a bit to do with Tom for a long time so I'm a bit biased, but he's a good get. Very thorough, very focused and always challenging people to do better.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
On the other hand, Kelley has been impressive and he obviously knows Hurley well.
Did you listen to his interview by kkornes about the recent drug scandal...OMG
Whilst he gave nothing away, he sounded very very despondent.
I know he should not have sounded like rainbows and baby kittens but I you'd have thought he'd just been given the most grave news a person could receive.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Did you listen to his interview by kkornes about the recent drug scandal...OMG
Whilst he gave nothing away, he sounded very very despondent.
I know he should not have sounded like rainbows and baby kittens but I you'd have thought he'd just been given the most grave news a person could receive.
He was talking to Kane, I'd sound like that too.

Imagine being Kelly, you walk into the rebuild and you have Stengle do what he did, you then lose your first 13 games before a good end to the year..... Then this.

No wonder he sounded annoyed

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He was talking to Kane, I'd sound like that too.

Imagine being Kelly, you walk into the rebuild and you have Stengle do what he did, you then lose your first 13 games before a good end to the year..... Then this.

No wonder he sounded annoyed
Offer some positives that will come out of it FFS.

What's Harper doing now though?

I did notice Harper was the one carrying the heavy bags from the changerooms to the coaches' box before the GWS and Richmond games.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gee youre a hard marker, the general consensus is Kelly hasnt put a foot wrong...... which I agree with.

Tell me, what positives could come from 2 players being caught on CCTV buying drugs ?
Geez you'd be good at the job ;) .
Mentoring, counselling, community work, a plan for rebuilding their lives.

Back