News Two more changes: Saunders (fitness) gone, Hurley New Football Operations Manager ...

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh so instead it was a case of "we seached for the best candidate and don't you know, he was here all along!"

No, its a case of consolidating costs. Existing staff handling peripheral responsibilities, and expect we'll see more of it at AFC and league wide.

Sinicism of our hiring practices is warranted - is highly unlikely that Brent Riley and Wright are best available development coaches. Off base with this call though - shuffling responsibility under existing development coach(s) is a no brainer.

Isn't Wright already employed as a development coach though?

Pretty sure he was, or had something to do with SANFL coaching.

100% boys club appointment but with academies beginning to wind up, I suppose it makes sense why.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Less resources towards the academy kids will probably have an impact on a couple of them here or there. A bit more time from a coach at a critical juncture might be the difference between a career or not. But I can't see how the game will be worse off week to week from slashing footy dept budgets by 40%. And I wouldn't mind betting that we still manage to administer the footy dept perfectly fine after all the job losses from the rest of the club. Reckon the entire AFL level industry has become as bloated as I am right now.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Why would we want to invest in the Academy program when the rules are changing and you lose any worthwhile advantage you had? Surely the whole thing dies in the arse.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Giving an existing staff member additional responsibilities because you can't afford extra staff expense and they have the capacity is not a boy's club.
This is the AFC board remember.....not one person that has commented actually knows how good or bad Wright or Reilly are in the player development field.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is the AFC board remember.....not one person that has commented actually knows how good or bad Wright or Reilly are in the player development field.

I'm sure they were the best possible candidates and the fact their were AFC players doesn't matter at all. Just like Burton. Just like Smart. Just like Ricciuto.

It's all just pure coincidence that the optimal choice just always happens to have a SANFL or AFC background... just shows what a well run club we are really!

You guys will really never stop making excuses for the club.

This off season has seen us appoint more football department positions to ex-Crows players than ex-AFL players who HAVENT played for the Crows.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I'm sure they were the best possible candidates and the fact their were AFC players doesn't matter at all. Just like Burton. Just like Smart. Just like Ricciuto.

It's all just pure coincidence that the optimal choice just always happens to have a SANFL or AFC background... just shows what a well run club we are really!

This off season has seen us appoint more football department positions to ex-Crows players than ex-AFL players who HAVENT played for the Crows.
And just like me and others on this particular website you don't have any knowledge whatsoever of exactly how good or bad either Reilly or Wright are at in their roles they're filling.

Unlike you I'm not prepared to prejudge people as being hopelessly incompetent just because they have held prior positions at the club especially at this time when football departments are undergoing financial cuts to their operating budget.

It seems you think because a former player or staffer is employed by the AFC they are automatically inferior to other former players or staffers.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

No, no we haven't.

C7 just reported Burgess is back in the mix to join Hass next year.
He doesn't want to be in Melbourne anymore, so you think a deal can be done to get him back here.

Haven't we already added a conditioning bloke that worked with Burgess for a fair stretch over in Great Britain?
Indeed.

Think we were hoping to get Burgess, but Dees held him to his contract, so we were going to wait til next year... now appears to be back on... hopefully.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

Wrighty is going to be pretty flat out with all of that!

Keeping football fit to lead the SANFL side, dev coach for some of the players and then the NGA which involves a bit of time/travel too. Pretty great result for him as he gets a taste of everything but that's a pretty full on gig!

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Indeed.

Think we were hoping to get Burgess, but Dees held him to his contract, so we were going to wait til next year... now appears to be back on... hopefully.

Think it was Tim Parham that was announced as head physio a few months ago. Was originally with Burgess at Port then followed him to Arsenal. Both would have crossed paths with Nicks during his time at Port too.

Back