Two More Tasmanian Clubs Die.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
masthead.gif

August 13th 2005: A Proud Tradition Dies; ODFA Clubs To Wind Up.

Today will sound the death knell for Oatlands District Football Association clubs Swansea and Mt Pleasant. With rival clubs Triabunna, Bothwell and Oatlands expected to join the SFL Regional League in 2006, Swansea and Mt Pleasant will be left with no competition in which to play.
James Bresenehan reports on the demise of two proud clubs.

It was like a scene from Dead Poets Society.
Everywhere, photographs of players past looked down over the Mt Pleasant Football Club's inner-sanctum, faces frozen in time.
You can almost hear them whisper "Carpe Diem" - seize the day.
Ornate frames surround heroes of glory days - unfortunately days that are numbered for the proud country club.
The team that has worn blue and blue through nine decades is now seeing red.
The pages of history are about to close on the club that started in 1921 when a bunch of farmers ran out onto the Barwicks' sheep paddock for the first time as the Yorkies, the forerunner to Mt Pleasant Football Club.
The Mounties are on top of the ladder as they head into the final round of roster matches today in the Oatlands District Football Association.
But after the finals, Mt Pleasant will join the dead club society.

"It tears me up to think the club is not going to be around anymore, but there's nothing I can do about it," said Mt Pleasant president Rupert Gregg.
Mount Pleasant's demise came out of the blue.

One of five clubs in the ODFA, the Mounties were shocked to learn that three clubs were pulling the pin to join the Regional League next year.
Bothwell and Oatlands will combine to form one team and Triabunna will be the other, taking that competition to 10.
The ODFA will be reduced to two.

Apart from each other, Mt Pleasant and its coastal cousins Swansea will have no one to play.
All the other teams in the area have died off over the last 20 years or so.
Teams such as Colebrook, Ross, Tunbridge, Parattah, Campania, Woodsdale, Tunnack and Kempton have all disappeared.
"We can't have a two-team competition," Gregg said.
"If there is anybody who wants to put a team on the park next year, we'll play 'em."
Other than that, the reality looks stark.
"I have to call a meeting of members and supporters and say "What do we do - throw our lot in with Bothwell and Oatlands, put the club on ice, or fold it up?" Gregg said.
"Once it's gone, it's gone."
"The 15 flags, and all the shields and trophies will end up in a box somewhere."

Mt Pleasant has survived through the ages on the goodwill of the locals.
"We have a group of players just playing because they want to play footy," Gregg said.
"They're not playing for big money, because there isn't any.
"We rely on stalwarts to run the club, run the kiosk, the Porky Triffet's who work for nothing but the satisfaction of keeping the club going."

On the East Coast, 66-year-old Swansea president Paul Wright makes no bones about how he feels about the impending demise of his club.
"Sh*thouse," was his reaction.
For Swansea, it's three strikes and you're out.
The rug has been pulled out from under Swansea in two other competitions in the past 12 years. It was on its last chance in the ODFA.

Wright has been involved with the club for more than 20 years, and his wife Narelle, 63, for more than 40 years.
"A lot of people around the place have been involved for a lot of years, and now it's all coming to an end," Wright said.
Swansea was due to celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2010.
"This is the third time it's happened to us," Wright said.
"We were in the Fingal league until it folded in 1992, and then it was done to us in the Tasman league, which folded in 2001, and now it's happening all over again.
"But you can't blame the other clubs for trying to look after themselves."
Reality has yet to sink in.
"It's a shock to the system but it hasn't hit home yet. After the last game it will probably knock us around a bit."

Wright wished the ODFA's three defectors good luck - because he said they would need it.
"We don't hold a grudge against the other sides for doing it - good luck to them." he said.
"I just hope they're all right, they're going to find it hard, no risk about that."

ODFA secretary Todd Hill said the competition was already on its knees.
Swansea had given warning that it would struggle to form a committee next season, and that if it did go on it would only field a senior team.
"If we'd kept going next year and Swansea dropped out, the remaining four clubs would not be able to survive financially - not with four sides and no reserves," Hill said.
"We were the only rural competition left in the South of the state.
"We had a very strong seven-team competition four years ago. It's all gone down-hill very quickly."

Bothwell-Oatlands and Triabunna have yet to be accepted into the Regional League, but that seems a formality.
"The ODFA clubs will meet with the Regional clubs over the next month," said AFL South president Roger Viney.
"It's a nice way to meet those joining your company, if that's the future, and discuss all of the issues."

The eight-team consists of teams from Hobart, the Huon and Eastern Shore.
Kermandie is the farthest outpost in the flourishing league and the club likely to be most affected in terms of logistics.
It would be more than a 220-km round trip to Bothwell for the Kermandie lads, should the new side be allowed to play a game at home.
Most likely, they will be made to play at venues closer to the big smoke.

"Some of our players come from Southport, which is south of Kermandie, so a trip to Bothwell would be a long way to go to play football," said Kermandie Football Club president Greg Beechey.
A month ago if you had told Beechey his club would play a team from Bothwell next season, he would've thought you were a couple of biscuits short of a packet.
"I would've thought that was a dream. I wouldn't have expected it at all." he said.
AFL South will announce its decision on Bothwell-Oatlands and Triabunna on September 19.
And, to add insult to injury, that will be too late for Mt Pleasant and Swansea to organise a big bash at their finals games to send their clubs into history.

masthead.gif

Nev Upset At Club's Finale
By James Bresnehan.

If premiership cups were made of gold, country football legend Neville Barwick would have one of the best rags-to-riches stories of all-time.
In his prime he was the Michael Voss of country footy south of the "Great Divide".
In 24-years with midlands club Mt Pleasant, "Nev" played 430 games and kicked 1320 goals.
He played in 8 premierships, coached three of them, and was named captain of the Mounties' Team-Of-The-Century.
No wonder he is so upset that Mt Pleasant Football Club will be nothing but a memory at the end of the 2005 Oatlands District Football Association season.

The Mounties will play their last roster game today, and after their campaign will have nowhere to play because the ODFA is going under.
"Im a very disappointed person, I've been here all my life, it's gut-wrenching." Barwick, 53, said.
"I've made a lot of fantastic friendships over the years.
And now, if the club goes under, I'll be devastated."
Barwick brought his skills to town in the mid-1970's when he had three successful seasons with New Norfolk in the TANFL.
In 1978 he returned to Mt Pleasant as captain-coach and took the club to the premiership.
"We played Oatlands and were absolute underdogs, and we beat them," Barwick said.
"Three blokes got reported for giving it to me and another bloke should have."

Another moment that stands out was the 1987 flag.
"We had a very young side, and during the season we never beat Ross, Kempton or Tunnack but we came out and won the Grand Final, that was a great premiership." he said.

Neville's son Nathan is a member of the undefeated New Norfolk senior team in the Southern Premier League.

it's a sad day when one club goes under, but 2 clubs and a whole competition?

jesus.

that said, on the upside, the SFL Regional League is really emerging as a country football powerhouse

TigerFan said:
it's a sad day when one club goes under, but 2 clubs and a whole competition?

jesus.

that said, on the upside, the SFL Regional League is really emerging as a country football powerhouse
Very true. I reckon they won't be the last clubs to fall over in the South either.
That makes *I think* 31 clubs to die in the last 15 years. But the rose-coloured glasses view of football is still continuing in the Argyle Street Ivory Tower.
Interesting comment from the article which stated that they had a strong 7-team competition just four years ago, and now it's gone.

Coincidence?

I suppose that the only way that they can keep some kind of footy going in the area is to modify the footy into 11-a-side in the hope that the two sides can become four and some of the smaller places can scrounge up a club or two between them to get at least five and keep footy going in the district (under some guise).

Something is better than nothing - once the clubs are lost they are lost forever (especially in the more remote area).

Any other ideas to prevent the sport dying in the Midlands?

The sides that have fell over in recent years have been because of a number of different reasons. The actual story actually only conveys one side of the story, as well as a couple inaccuracies. The Presidents of the three clubs involved in moving south were not interviewed, even though the Mercury obtained their phone numbers.

The Mercury also previously stated that the Bothwell/Oatlands and Triabunna groups were breakaway factions. This is also incorrect. The submissions were given official Association support from the ODFA.

Sad stuff indeed.

However, not knowing the area down there at all, is there any reason why Mt Pleasant and Swansea can't also move to the Regional League?

1933 - too long ago said:
Sad stuff indeed.

However, not knowing the area down there at all, is there any reason why Mt Pleasant and Swansea can't also move to the Regional League?

Swansea would never be accepted due to the travelling. Its' best bet would be to maybe try for the NEFU. However the club has pretty much said it won't be able to field a Reserves side in 2006, if the club gets up and running at all. The current committee and ladies committee are pretty much retiring.

Mt Pleasant would struggle for numbers in the SFL, plus its' ground and facilities would not come up to standard. Plus it has struggled to get a Reserves side on the field at times, and has not been competitive at that level for the best part of 4 years. The club has been invited repeatedly to become involved with the Bothwell/Oatlands group, but as one of its' favourite sons has stated "We would sooner fold than merge with those mongrels" Head in the sand thinking at its best unfortunately.

Ozguy said:
"We would sooner fold than merge with those mongrels"

In my area, that was said 10 years ago when Daysdale and Coreen were both shot to bits as two tiny towns less than 10 minutes apart (despite Daysdale having won a flag just 12 months earlier).
But it had to happen, we made it happen, and after some initial teething problems the new club will head into next week's finals with the minor premiership, a 17-1 record and a percentage of over 250.

Also, for the past countless number of years, Oaklands and Urana have hated each other with a passion, so much so that comments like that were flying from both clubs and neither fielded a thirds team for five years, with neither also fielding a reserves team last year - with both senior teams only beating each other and finishing with percentages below 20.
But they also eventually bit the bullet and this season their seniors won six matches and beat finals teams, their reserves won eight and only missed after dropping their last five matches, and their thirds won a match and built the foundation for a successful club into the future - all but guaranteeing the survival of footy.

Maybe I'm rambling a bit, but it is to prove that if that's what Mt Pleasant have to do, that's what they have to do because in a small town, footy is the lifeblood and that town will die without it.

I hope that a solution could be reached in order to save clubs like Swansea, Mt Pleasant & many others in small, isolated communities (does to ODFA have a netball competition as well ?, beacuse if so, then it makes it twice as bad) even if it's having an 11 a side competition played on half a ground.

Merger is only a marginally better option than disappearing, but at least you're providing a place for people to play, and afterall, the game is the most important thing.

But, it's sad to see all the great memories around those two clubs turn to dust, Murchison celebrated our 125th anniversary this year, and it's important to know that there have been great and dedicated people that came before you that kept the club going so you can have it now and into the future.

Sadly, that won't happen for Swansea or Mt Pleasant, and through no fault of thier own, they will never get that chance

As a former player at the proud club of Mount Pleasant (and former resident of that small area) was sad to read about the demise of the club as well as Swansea. However, the club has been dying for years (as did Tunnack, Colebrook and Woodsdale who were only in the league ten years ago) - but i can say from my experience that there is no one factor to blame (i.e. Football Tasmania, the ODFA or any other sporting administration. The problems evolved from things like employment in the area, a general lack of youth to field the teams (kids like myself are able to leave the area from a young age to go to university, Tafe or become apprentices) and of course drought and recession. The farm leagues used to field a seniors, reserves and miny league teams in the competition, of course this was in a time when farming was flourishing. Recent times has seen players being brought in from other districts and being paid to prop up the league - something which has prolonged it's demise.

No kids and no solid business future in the district has seen them die - Sad i admit, but it was always going to happen. Should the rural areas flourish once more, then these dead teams will be revived.

Silvermylar said:
As a former player at the proud club of Mount Pleasant (and former resident of that small area) was sad to read about the demise of the club as well as Swansea. However, the club has been dying for years (as did Tunnack, Colebrook and Woodsdale who were only in the league ten years ago) - but i can say from my experience that there is no one factor to blame (i.e. Football Tasmania, the ODFA or any other sporting administration. The problems evolved from things like employment in the area, a general lack of youth to field the teams (kids like myself are able to leave the area from a young age to go to university, Tafe or become apprentices) and of course drought and recession. The farm leagues used to field a seniors, reserves and miny league teams in the competition, of course this was in a time when farming was flourishing. Recent times has seen players being brought in from other districts and being paid to prop up the league - something which has prolonged it's demise.

No kids and no solid business future in the district has seen them die - Sad i admit, but it was always going to happen. Should the rural areas flourish once more, then these dead teams will be revived.

Well put.

I wish there were people still involved in football in the Midlands who can see this. It has been nothing but constant negativity about this move, as well as heads in the sand attitude for years that failed to address the very problems that you raised.

I agree to some extent there Ozguy, but its a sad truth is that noone can address the problems as they are far greater than the football.

Oh I agree about that 100%. But it is unfortunate that clubs fell over that could have merged and continued on. Woodsdale and Tunnack are the perfect example. Didn't like each other, wouldn't work together. So now both are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swansea is way too far away from all of the NEFU clubs except St Helens. That is their problem. While Swansea is close to Coles Bay, unless the footy season is played over the Summer and they recruit tourists, they are not going to be able to field a side.
The NEFU has up and down times with teams, numbers of players, etc. but on the whole its going pretty well. While we still have a forest industry and sawmills we will survive. If the timber industry falls over as the greens hope, then it will die. Not many greenies play footy.

13 years on, how are all these teams going now? Survived in their own right, merged or otherwise? OzGuy you seem to be a wealth of knowledge for footy in the midlands, you must have some great stories....

13 years on, how are all these teams going now? Survived in their own right, merged or otherwise? OzGuy you seem to be a wealth of knowledge for footy in the midlands, you must have some great stories....
Mount Pleasant lived to fight another day and kept on playing in the ODFA, made the grand final last year and have won premierships in recent years.
Swansea still playing in the ODFA as well.
The merger of Oatlands, Bothwell and Kempton to form the Central Hawks playing out of the old SFL Regional League lasted until about 7-8 years ago when Bothwell and then Oatlands pulled out of the merged club to reform in their own right to resume playing in the ODFA. Bothwell's been very successful winning a few premierships including last year's premiership.
Oatlands seem to be middle-of-the-road, not great, not terrible. Currently coached by former Hobart Tigers reserves coach Tony Rosendale.
Central Hawks folded long ago.
Triabunna joined the SFL but were on the end of some hideous thrashings including one 57-goal demolition by Huonville Lions at Huonville one day and ended up being statistically, the worst team ever to play in the SFL.
When AFL Tasmania axed the TSL Reserves competition one year it left Lauderdale's reserves with nowhere to play so Lauderdale and Triabunna entered into a partnership by providing players to Triabunna and renaming the club "East Coast Bombers" to remain in the SFL.
East Coast Bombers were a very competitive side and made one final in their time. They played out of both Lauderdale and Triabunna but seemed a very soulless outfit with almost no support at all.
In the end Triabunna supplied hardly any players to the EC Bombers in any case.
It might as well have been called "Rokeby/Clarendon Vale/Lauderdale Bombers".
Triabunna decided to end the partnership with Lauderdale about 3-4 years ago and rejoin the ODFA under their own steam to which success has been minimal. East Coast Bombers final game was against Hobart at Lauderdale in 2015.

Last edited:
Different set of circumstances for a Tunnack/Woodsdale merger.
Tunnack’s last season (only played the first half) in 2001 was off the back of some pretty lean seasons, while Woodsdale was literally a powerhouse in the 90’s.

Even though Woodsdale won a senior flag in 2001 then went into recess in 2002 then runners up in 2003 and back into recess in 2004, in 2002 there was not a Tunnack to merge with, those Tunnack players that played the first half of the season in 2001 obviously went and played elsewhere and all of a sudden there was nothing left of Tunnack, the committee was tired.

There was a feeling amongst Woodsdale around 2002 at the time where they felt that they could get back on their feet and they did, as history usually suggests merger arrangements don’t work have a look at the Central Hawks for example.

When Woodsdale went into recess for the second time in 2004 there was a guy trying to rally support for a combined team of Woodsdale/Tunnack called Ponsonby Power (in between Woods/Tunn there’s a big hill called Mt Ponsonby) but it never got going.

In the 90’s there was no real hatred as people may think as scores were normally one sided because of a strong Woodsdale outfit

Oh I agree about that 100%. But it is unfortunate that clubs fell over that could have merged and continued on. Woodsdale and Tunnack are the perfect example. Didn't like each other, wouldn't work together. So now both are gone.

Different set of circumstances for a Tunnack/Woodsdale merger.
Tunnack’s last season (only played the first half) in 2001 was off the back of some pretty lean seasons, while Woodsdale was literally a powerhouse in the 90’s.

Even though Woodsdale won a senior flag in 2001 then went into recess in 2002 then runners up in 2003 and back into recess in 2004, in 2002 there was not a Tunnack to merge with, those Tunnack players that played the first half of the season in 2001 obviously went and played elsewhere and all of a sudden there was nothing left of Tunnack, the committee was tired.

There was a feeling amongst Woodsdale around 2002 at the time where they felt that they could get back on their feet and they did, as history usually suggests merger arrangements don’t work have a look at the Central Hawks for example.

When Woodsdale went into recess for the second time in 2004 there was a guy trying to rally support for a combined team of Woodsdale/Tunnack called Ponsonby Power (in between Woods/Tunn there’s a big hill called Mt Ponsonby) but it never got going.

In the 90’s there was no real hatred as people may think as scores were normally one sided because of a strong Woodsdale outfit

Quoting something 15 years old loses a lot of the context.

Trying to remember, I am pretty sure the comment had nothing to do with a merger between 2001-04.

There was talk of restructuring the competition long before that to attempt to make it more sustainable.

Sad too see the Oatlands District Football Association seemingly falling apart. Hopefully Oatlands and Swansea can get enough numbers and be back for next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back