Two thoughts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that McGregor is a good negating player but gives little rebound and is poor below his knees, what about putting him at FB and moving the Truck to CHB. Imagine his rebound and reading of the ball a bit further up the ground - he could be another Glen Jackovic

PerthCrow said:
I think Rutten CAN be something special..but at the moment playing Rutten at FB does 2 things for me

1. He learns a defensive side to his game
2. He frees up Nathan Bassett

I am still out on the Thompson/Stenglein trade as I believe both clubs have had a win/win on that deal.

Call it a draw

i guess the thing that wil define who wins this trade...is what thompson is like at age 24 (or whatever stenglein was when he was traded last year...and also how good chad gibson becomes. if he comes of as a good player we will easily win, if he turns out like angwin, then i guess we will probly break even if scott thompson continues his form.

Just as a (belated) reply to some earlier posts, what I was specifically noticing is that Rutten has the speed and quickness to stay with J. Brown - as well as the obvious strength.

Now, given that Brown is probably the best CHF in the comp, and seeing for myself that Rutten was able to match (or at least come close) Brown's athletic ability, I don't see any basis for arguments that say he would not make a great CHF.

If the guy is fast enough to keep up with Brown, then he's fast enough for the CHF spot. If he's strong enough to wrestle with Brown, then he's strong enough for the CHF spot. If he's agile enough to stay with Brown, then he's agile enough for CHF.

I just can't see any reason we wouldn't want Rutten at CHF (other than the fact that we would miss him from the backline... but maybe Bock, Hentschell, Perrie, etc. could be moved back down there).

If the price is that he does as good at CHF as he's done at FB, then I'd say it's a win for us.

Think about it.. if he played at CHF the way he's playing at FB, that would make an amazing improvement to our team. I think it would more than offset the loss in the backline.

Just my opinion, however.

lacrow said:
If the price is that he does as good at CHF as he's done at FB, then I'd say it's a win for us.

Think about it.. if he played at CHF the way he's playing at FB, that would make an amazing improvement to our team. I think it would more than offset the loss in the backline.

Just my opinion, however.

You are 100% right LAC. Its obviously uncertain if he would succeed so much at CHF but who wouldnt take his current form at FB and want him to play as well at CHF?

macca23 said:
Bock succeeding at CHB wouldn't be a total shock. His form in the SANFL in defence has been terrific.

Do you remember a year or two back when I wanted Bock to be promoted off the rookie list? I did so because I saw him play a terrific game for WWT as a spoiling defender. I reckon he could still go alright there at this level if he was allowed to, rather than playing like a fish out of water as a leading flanker type.

Won't ever be a gun, that's a Shay Given, but he could definitely become a solid defender who gives his all in the Bassett mould.

drakeyv2 said:
Rutten is the best full back we have ever had (no one pays me out over that statement any more). We have waited 14 years for one so lets keep him there for a while.

Gee....big call! Jamo had a really good stint as our full back for a few years. I wouldn't put Rutten there yet. he's young and still learning. He may have a massive form slump and then we will all be questioning him as is the want on this board. A few good games and you're a saviour, a few bad ones and you should be dropped and traded!

The Toolman said:
Gee....big call! Jamo had a really good stint as our full back for a few years. I wouldn't put Rutten there yet. he's young and still learning. He may have a massive form slump and then we will all be questioning him as is the want on this board. A few good games and you're a saviour, a few bad ones and you should be dropped and traded!
No the Truck is in the garage and wont need a changeover till he gets a million miles on the clock

macca23 said:
Bock succeeding at CHB wouldn't be a total shock. His form in the SANFL in defence has been terrific.

dyertribe said:
Do you remember a year or two back when I wanted Bock to be promoted off the rookie list? I did so because I saw him play a terrific game for WWT as a spoiling defender. I reckon he could still go alright there at this level if he was allowed to, rather than playing like a fish out of water as a leading flanker type.

Aren't you glad we said this BEFORE the game DT??? :D

Bock was terrific tonight.

macca23 said:
Aren't you glad we said this BEFORE the game DT??? :D

Bock was terrific tonight.

If he keeps this up MTV will give him his own show...

bock'd.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back