Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
I like the concept they both play together

It will stretch height in opposition defence and if Luke Dahlhaus, Tory Dickson and Lachlan Hunter are as good as they think they are - aided by tall mid sized bulky forwards Stringer and Crameri they should push scoring conversion to elite AFL levels

Could this be another 1997 with a harder edged assault on the finals ?

Don't know - but team will finish closer to the top than the bottom

Bring this post up if I'm wrong

I like it as a trial for this season to get game time, experience and fitness into Tom C until he takes over the mantle from Will.

There is of course the other pink elephant on the list who could take that role.

• Banned
I think Ayce is the guy we should bulk up to eventually take the Centre Bounce and Clearances from Will ( who I think carried a back injury in 2014 dished out early in the season by Cox and Natanui who deliberately jumped into him in Round 1 )

Roughead hurt his shoulder during Collingwood match ( I think ) to me he still looks like a key defender ( if you were thinking that )

Experiment I would like to see is Redpath in defence, saw him go there during a Pre Season match in 2014 and thought he went OK and should have been persisted with - but with our deficiencies in the Forward Half that didn't happen .. Redpath reminded me of a young Brian Harris / Lake ... Quick reaction time, big body and can get to the contest.

I like the concept they both play together

It will stretch height in opposition defence and if Luke Dahlhaus, Tory Dickson and Lachlan Hunter are as good as they think they are - aided by tall mid sized bulky forwards Stringer and Crameri they should push scoring conversion to elite AFL levels

Could this be another 1997 with a harder edged assault on the finals ?

Don't know - but team will finish closer to the top than the bottom

Bring this post up if I'm wrong

1997 was a more experienced unit that for whatever reason stank in 1996, bought in some mature players and nearly went all the way.

This side has just lost the bulk of the experience it had, and I fear a couple of backward steps before moving forward will occur.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Don't think we'll ever player with two of Ayce, Campbell, and Boyd all playing in the forward line together and I'm kind of glad as I don't think it will work.

Personally I prefer the combination of Redpath, Boyd, and Stringer, with Campbell replacing Boyd depending on Ruck needs and or player management.

Stringer is definitely our number one forward option going forward
Redpath needs to be in to take another tall defender and take pressure off Stringer
Boyd/Campbell as the true tall.

Haven't included Crameri in the mix as I see him as more of a flanker.
Ayce I'm guessing will struggle again to get a spot.

For a team to be truly balanced and function properly it is
difficult to fit in an excess of tall players or for that matter
small players.You get the odd tall who plays small and the
odd small who plays tall. You cannot compromise defensive
integrity as it tends to put pressure further up the ground
and defense starts in the forward pocket these days.I am
hoping the round one team is hard to select and the
coach gets a little funky and puts his stamp on it.

At the moment, Campbell is a liability up forward. I don't know what Boyd's defensive ability is like but it'd have to be pretty damn good to make up for Campbell's shortcomings.

I'm not saying that they can't both play in the same forward line together. I'm saying that they might not complement each other, and we'd be robbing Peter (defensive pressure inside 50) to pay Paul (height).

Boyd's defensive capabilities look very promising but at this stage he doesn't have the fitness to keep it up.
Don't think this would work until he has that solid fitness base.
It would be good when Campbell is in good form, but as has been suggested he can be a liability up forward when he isn't in great form.

I think Ayce is the guy we should bulk up to eventually take the Centre Bounce and Clearances from Will ( who I think carried a back injury in 2014 dished out early in the season by Cox and Natanui who deliberately jumped into him in Round 1

Have you not been paying attention over the last 6 years? Tried and failed.

It has to be horses for courses.. Should happen most weeks but not all

1. You don't ruck a 6.5million dollar 19yo key fwd investment

2. Will got smashed in games last year because he wasn't given adequate support - forget niggles - he was worked over by sides with two rucks.

3. People didn't have a problem with Campbell fwd line abilities in 2013

4. I've put a line through Cordy - have him delisted end of year - bonus if he proves me wrong

1. You don't ruck a 6.5million dollar 19yo key fwd investment

2. Will got smashed in games last year because he wasn't given adequate support - forget niggles - he was worked over by sides with two rucks.

3. People didn't have a problem with Campbell fwd line abilities in 2013

4. I've put a line through Cordy - have him delisted end of year - bonus if he proves me wrong
In Tom Boyd's stellar nine game career he has 23 marks compared to
26 hit outs, i must imagine as a young tall lad he played a bit in the
ruck. I hope we use the Hawthorn forward matrix with multiple options
and several players kicking multiple goals and with Bevo as coach this
is likely given his Hawthorn experience. I saw some signs from the much
maligned Ayce Cordy last year particularly his tap work, i am sure though
no one will ever draft a 75 kg ruckman again, ever!

I think if you're considering our spine...FB to FF

Roughead, Roberts, Minson, Stringer, Boyd

Leaves maybe a third tall in attack/relief ruck for Campbell.

I'm afraid Ayce misses out for mine. Post-Minson, I'm not even sure he's the right option. 2016 would look like

Roughead, Roberts/Talia, Campbell, Stringer, Boyd

Cordy as the third tall/relief ruck. Ouch! Rather Redpath, but he's not a ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if you're considering our spine...FB to FF

Roughead, Roberts, Minson, Stringer, Boyd

Leaves maybe a third tall in attack/relief ruck for Campbell.

I'm afraid Ayce misses out for mine. Post-Minson, I'm not even sure he's the right option. 2016 would look like

Roughead, Roberts/Talia, Campbell, Stringer, Boyd

Cordy as the third tall/relief ruck. Ouch! Rather Redpath, but he's not a ruckman.
The spine or goal to goal line as it was once called is primarily used in the
newspapers and for team selection purposes in the modern game. What
about Marcus Bontempelli if he keeps growing and gaining weight we may
have to spin that we selected him knowing he would be a KPF and not
the MID as advertised.He could make a good endurance CHF like a
smaller version of Tom Lynch from the Gold Coast.

The spine or goal to goal line as it was once called is primarily used in the
newspapers and for team selection purposes in the modern game. What
about Marcus Bontempelli if he keeps growing and gaining weight we may
have to spin that we selected him knowing he would be a KPF and not
the MID as advertised.He could make a good endurance CHF like a
smaller version of Tom Lynch from the Gold Coast.

Totally agree. He's almost the same size as Nick Riewoldt now.

Imagine he and Stringer rotating through the midfield ala Pavlich... Some of those smaller and lighter midfielders best have their running shoes on or they might end up bloodied pulp in the centre.

Totally agree. He's almost the same size as Nick Riewoldt now.

Imagine he and Stringer rotating through the midfield ala Pavlich... Some of those smaller and lighter midfielders best have their running shoes on or they might end up bloodied pulp in the centre.

This is what I've envisioned since they were drafted. Imagine match up nightmares of having Hrovat and Dahlhaus in the midfield then swapping forward with Bonts and Stringer.

Agreed. Campbell needs the game time - he's a good prospect that's ready but he is a liability up forward sometimes. Play him as much as possible with the opposition's defence in mind. When he does play, give him plenty of ruck time too. Sure, Minson can do the most of it and then either get off or on the rare occasion have a spell fwd.

If Redpath plays than I can't see Campbell or Ayce playing in the same match.

Agreed. Campbell needs the game time - he's a good prospect that's ready but he is a liability up forward sometimes. Play him as much as possible with the opposition's defence in mind. When he does play, give him plenty of ruck time too. Sure, Minson can do the most of it and then either get off or on the rare occasion have a spell fwd.

If Redpath plays than I can't see Campbell or Ayce playing in the same match.

Look I really like the look of Campbell, but what he desperately needs is a major injection of endurance [ not in an Essendon kind of way though]. He starts games well when in form, but it rarely lasts beyond 1/4 time. As for Redpath, I love his pace for height, physicality and aggression at ball and player, but he still has a long way to go in the skills and sense of the game. To be honest I hold out more hope for Ayce than Redpath, and hopefully he is reaching the age where tall guys start to blossom. I absolutely hate the idea of pulling key position players out to fill in as rucks when Will needs a rest. And, at his age, he is going to need them for longer and more often than he has been permitted over the last two seasons. A ruck, F pocket, bench type of rotation system is what I'd hope to see for two ruckmen. When the two rucks are on the ground simultaneously, I'd like to see the one up forward take ruck duties inside the 50 leaving the other sitting defensively back a kick behind the play.

I think Ayce is the guy we should bulk up to eventually take the Centre Bounce and Clearances from Will ( who I think carried a back injury in 2014 dished out early in the season by Cox and Natanui who deliberately jumped into him in Round 1 )

You have to be kidding. He has shown nothing since he has been at the club ......... plus Macca isn't there to pump up his tyres.

The issue is that Minson actually being in the side hurts our structure as he hasn't got another string to his bow. Can't play forward where Campbell and Cordy can at a pinch, and he has to play solo with the three interchange in play.

You have to be kidding. He has shown nothing since he has been at the club ......... plus Macca isn't there to pump up his tyres.
Jury is out on Cordy, but he didn't get a run last season.
Should have been played more with Minson's horrific form, and with Will still being there I can't see it changing .

Jury is out on Cordy, but he didn't get a run last season.
Should have been played more with Minson's horrific form, and with Will still being there I can't see it changing .

Cordy got one game last year (from memory), went alright and then was dropped. True MC form shown right there.

If Cordy shows the same rate of improvement as last year, he'll be on the list next year as well.

Any chance you guys follow the 2014 Port model and use Roughead in the Trengove role as CHB/Ruck? Because from what I've seen all of Redpath, Cordy and Campbell are liabilities to your forward line.

Any chance you guys follow the 2014 Port model and use Roughead in the Trengove role as CHB/Ruck? Because from what I've seen all of Redpath, Cordy and Campbell are liabilities to your forward line.

Not sure Roughies shoulders would survive long periods in the ruck, but that's possibly a topic for another day. I'm not sure we really have a player who could perform that role well at this stage. I think Roberts can spend a few minutes as relief ruck, but he'd want to concentrate on getting a game first.... I don't think Talia can do it. I personally believe we are still a little light on for talls, but that subject has been done to death recently on this board - so bring it up at your peril....

As for our forward line, it'll be interesting to see how our F50 functions this year. We now have (for almost the first time in a bloody long time) - wait for it - forward line options !!!! There, I've said it.

Redpath/Campbell/Cordy are all not your best option as the key forward option. Campbell is a good ruckman, lacking in endurance, who is also a good grab. Just lacks the mobility and tank. Clear successor to Will as #1 ruckman though. Cordy is quick and agile, just made of matchsticks - however, completed a full preseason last year for the first time, then basically played all games last year, albeit in the VFL (with one in the seniors). If that trend continues, he might be a good relief ruck/FP option. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to mark above his head. Redpath is the typical lead, mark, goal forward - lacks agility, but reasonable speed in a straight line. Good set shot too.

But the interesting part is that none of these guys actually needs to be the main target anymore. If you have Boyd at FF, then you can have a tall mobile target in Cordy, or a good contested grab player to compliment him (Campbell) or play Boyd as a stay at home FF and have Redpath leading up the guts from the pocket. Instantly these guys become more dangerous as they aren't the #1 target.

And with Crameri (maybe), Stringer, Bontempelli as other 2nd/3rd forward types - Cordy might be getting your 4th or 5th best defender... If he could mark above his head, he's 200 cm+ - that's a dangerous option to have.

The difficulty will be that Cordy aside, none of these guys (including Boyd) have the speed, agility or tank to really put defensive pressure on - so we need to have a balance up forward. So how do Stringer, Crameri and Bontempelli fit in to the mix ?? Our F50 defensive pressure improved last year, will be keen to see if it continues to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back