List Mgmt. Ty Vickery - Tigers decided not to match the deal. Richmond receives Pick 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
With the type of rocket Hawthorn would put up his arse, I expect he would become a very serviceable player there.
A bit like what happened to Jarrad Waite when he left Carlton to go to North.

Nursie

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
With the type of rocket Hawthorn would put up his arse, I expect he would become a very serviceable player there.
A bit like what happened to Jarrad Waite when he left Carlton to go to North.
The guy can't run and I thought he was yesterday's man, but Clarko sees something in him. Is Clarko about to change Hawthorn's playing style again?

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
I agree. The guys got plenty of talent and could be an absolute gun, but for whatever reason is not happening at Richmond.
I want him gone but I reckon hell surprise a few wherever he ends up.
I believe it is something the club constantly get wrong. There is nothing wrong with Vickery going elsewhere and playing good footy. As you say we can not find the key to unlock the door and the team, list and player themselves all suffer.
Unlike others i think the weaknesses have always been there and there has been little to no improvement in this bloke almost from the get go.Far too often we hang onto players performing like Vickery for way to long and we usually end up getting nothing in return because all and sundry have seen enough.

Finally i would be surprised if he ended up at Hawthorn both Dunstall and Brereton have ridiculed him and clearly dont rate him.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Ok guys I'll admit I've never rated this guy. With links to us now I understand why we maybe chasing a guy like him as we are lacking in the KPF/Ruck stakes with Roughy out and now Ceglar going down.

Will he be an absolute potato if he comes over or does he have some talent but doesn't work hard enough?

Is it a case of both Richmond and Vickery needing to part ways? Or are you guys happy to see the back of him?

So many questions haha. Cheers to anyone who can give me some proper supporter info on him

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PUT it this way, if he doesn't work under Clarko, it won't work anywhere else.
In my humble opinion, Vickery is that talented footballer who really does need to be pushed. He has been mollycoddled at Richmond for so long that mediocrity and little effort have become the norm. Earlier this season he dished up two possessions in four quarters v ordinary ol' Freo and then followed up about three weeks later with a three possession effort. You know, being a Hawks supporter, that Clarko would simply not tolerate such an insipid effort. But what was Hardwick's response, he let Vickery go out again the next week and collect six possessions (I guess that's double the output of three possessions but still not competitive). When he was eventually dropped he played a largely ineffective game at Coburg, bar the last quarter, and was recalled immediately. It's part of a wider phenomena at Tigerland, but the bar is set low and there's no accountability for non-performance. I reckon if anyone can turn him around it would be Clarkson, or Beveridge, or possibly Worsfold - a harder type coach. He simply doesn't work hard enough.
And I'm sure Clarko, Ratten, Yze, Bruce and especially Monkhorst will have learned (that has taken us eight years to work out), this bloke is a liability in the ruck. He doesn't jump at centre bounces and tries to sidestep the opposition ruckman. He's a tall forward - not the focal point - and nothing more. It's laughable to think how he would have went inb the days when the ruckmen actually ran at each other from a distance.
That said, he is likely one of the top handful of goal kickers in the league when it comes to accuracy, so he has his good points. You'd back him in 9.5 times out of 10 ad rarely shots from angles. Even his most critical fans can see he has played some good football, but if there was ever an enigma, he is it!

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'LL tell you why I AM right. Because the ever-sensitive Richmond fan like (like maybe yourself) are always tossing up what happens at other clubs and making nonsense comparisons. If Casboult is a worse player than Vickery, I don't care ... that's Carlton's problem. How long have you been on Big Footy? I used to read absolute nonsense on here seven years straight before round one about Deledio >>>>>>>> Murphy; Cotchin >>>>> Gibbs; Edwards >>>>> Betts. :p:D:p:D Yeah, every Tigers player is better than their Blues counterpart, yet somehow from 2007-2013 we won a whole two of 14 games played against the Blues. Ordinary players that Murphy and Gibbs. Nonsense comparisons.
Why is Ty rarely thrown in the ruck - for a guy who is supposed to be our ruckman and was drafted accordingly - because he is not competitive. Against the Cats we had Andrew Moore doing the ruck work instead of Ty!!!
Why not compare Ty to Kurt Tippett, who has him covered by the length of the Flemington straight and competes up forward and in the ruck and has an impact. You really want to compare what a perennially disappointing Jack Watts has dished up this year against Ty??? Give me Jack Watts any day of the week, twice on Sundays. At least the Dees - Roos, Bailey before him all had the courage to drop Watts. Hardwick finally does it and offers up the 'we need to have a look at Elton' excuse, not he fact you played like rubbish v Geelong.
So, why do we have inferiority complex, so bad that we have to find a comparison somewhere, anywhere to justify a players tenure???
As for replacing him, I'll leave that for the geniuses who make the list decisions but we could do a lot worse than giving Elton a run at it after being badly mismanaged for five seasons. At least he has a crack!
My point was not getting caught up in comparisons. It was that there is not much out there better than Ty currently (FACT). I would drive Ty to the airport if we could straight swap him for Tippett. But we can't and the bloke is on a 800-900k a year for a reason, he is above average in the hardest position on the ground. Have a look at what Jenkins was demanding this year due to being above average in the same position.
If you and Richmond want to watch Ty walk then fine it's not my decision what they do. But I doubt very much next year there will be a better option than Ty, and if we are stuck with Jack having to line up with a Travis Cloke or Tod Elton as his foil for 22 games then god help us.
I have never once said Ty is a worldbeater, but you and many others want to show him the door as quick as possible without thinking about the ramifications of what is left in the cupboard to fill a very tough spot on the ground....

The problem is more with the gameplan than Ty as we saw with it functioning much better last year.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
I believe it is something the club constantly get wrong. There is nothing wrong with Vickery going elsewhere and playing good footy. As you say we can not find the key to unlock the door and the team, list and player themselves all suffer.
Unlike others i think the weaknesses have always been there and there has been little to no improvement in this bloke almost from the get go.Far too often we hang onto players performing like Vickery for way to long and we usually end up getting nothing in return because all and sundry have seen enough.

Finally i would be surprised if he ended up at Hawthorn both Dunstall and Brereton have ridiculed him and clearly dont rate him.
AS some on here who know me would tell you, I delight in watching Matty White running around for Port. Always a favourite and still a fan. Also enjoyed watching Schultz play too. There is nothing to be feared by players going elsewhere, but our club is petrified of it. We seem to keep blokes on the list like McBean, Arnott, Elton, Post too long to ensure they have no value when they leave.
I am on record saying we should have got rid of Coughlan and Foley long before we did as injuries piled up. There's no room for sentiment in today's AFL.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
My point was not getting caught up in comparisons. It was that there is not much out there better than Ty currently (FACT). I would drive Ty to the airport if we could straight swap him for Tippett. But we can't and the bloke is on a 800-900k a year for a reason, he is above average in the hardest position on the ground. Have a look at what Jenkins was demanding this year due to being above average in the same position.
If you and Richmond want to watch Ty walk then fine it's not my decision what they do. But I doubt very much next year there will be a better option than Ty, and if we are stuck with Jack having to line up with a Travis Cloke or Tod Elton as his foil for 22 games then god help us.
I have never once said Ty is a worldbeater, but you and many others want to show him the door as quick as possible without thinking about the ramifications of what is left in the cupboard to fill a very tough spot on the ground....

The problem is more with the gameplan than Ty as we saw with it functioning much better last year.
Did you not see Elton have a crack at more marking contests on Saturday than Vickery does? Yes the game plan and movement forward are a shambles, but at least Elton contested when oput of position and should only get better with game time.
Ol' Vickery, all the talent in the world, just doesn't give the effort. He's been Richmondised .... another who just has to turn up, get a game and colect a cheque.
Toughest spot on the ground? He pushed jack out of FF under the genius Hardwick .. a guy who averages 60 goals a game over the previous four years.

Tiger4Ever

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
The RFC reminds me of that big fat hen we had on our Gippsland farm.
It would sit there on 26 eggs hoping they would all hatch.Now bc she was such a poor Mum about 5 chickens would come out of it.
Now instead of caring about the good ones she would still sit on the rotten eggs expecting them to come good.
We have done this endlessly for over 30 years with blokes like Ty Sheds now Conca Ellis Houli Grigg and then we do it with guys like Moore Azza Townsend and DFA Hunt(gets 2 years after being a former DFA.WHY)?
Blokes just get put on the pay roll on a game or two where they demonstrated some moment of brilliance,but the club neglects the long term concept-
Is improvement going to be enough to take us to the next level? Before you know it,we have a nest full of mostly rotten eggs.Rinse and repeat.

To me the classic case where a player was put to the test was Wayne Campbell where he tried to bluff us into a higher salary deal by threatening to leave.When he put himself up on this inflated figure he had no suitors.So Campo came back with his tail bw his nuts and became a better person and player for it.
Sheds TV and a lot of these blokes needed to be put to this sort of test to really see what their market value is.Instead the club has to fill its 10mil cap with 5 stars ,some good young kids ,but lots of rotten eggs.The recipe to constant failure.

PS: To posters who may be offended by the names used ,these are fictional and only used to demonstrate my point.
For real names seek the RFC directory compiled over three decades :D
What happened to the big fat hen in the end TI? Did heads roll? That's the end of the metaphor I'm looking for!

Tiger4Ever

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
RED Rooster - the Rooster Roll ;)

image.gif

TI and the "big fat hen" were hopefully not stuck in the same abusive relationship we all are with the RFC.
Rinse and repeat. #2moreyears

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you not see Elton have a crack at more marking contests on Saturday than Vickery does? Yes the game plan and movement forward are a shambles, but at least Elton contested when oput of position and should only get better with game time.
Ol' Vickery, all the talent in the world, just doesn't give the effort. He's been Richmondised .... another who just has to turn up, get a game and colect a cheque.
Toughest spot on the ground? He pushed jack out of FF under the genius Hardwick .. a guy who averages 60 goals a game over the previous four years.
If Elton was disguised as Vickery on the weekend you would be blasting him for his 'non-competitive' ruck work that netted 1 hit out, shitting himself in the forward 50 and dropping the simplest of marks with no-one around, and not hitting the scoreboard enough by only contributing one goal. This coming against a team with no recognised key defenders (Dempster and Gilbert), and no relief ruckman, with the main ruckman being a 4 game American rookie.

Funny how when their name isn't Ty Vickery this stuff is acceptable and even applauded :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
If Elton was disguised as Vickery on the weekend you would be blasting him for his 'non-competitive' ruck work that netted 1 hit out, shitting himself in the forward 50 and dropping the simplest of marks with no-one around, and not hitting the scoreboard enough by only contributing one goal. This coming against a team with no recognised key defenders (Dempster and Gilbert), and no relief ruckman, with the main ruckman being a 4 game American rookie.

Funny how when their name isn't Ty Vickery this stuff is acceptable and even applauded :rolleyes::rolleyes:
IT'S acceptable in your third game when you've been left languishing in the twos with no development.
Not from a 130-gamer who proposes to be a superstar.
If Elton is still dishing up those stats in 30 games time, the call from fans will come.
You are trying hard to build you case.
had Vickery done his usual - 6 posessionms, three marks and a cheap goal against the same Saints backline, no relief ruckman and main ruckman being a Yank, you'd still defend him .. which lets face it, he has dished up so many times this year. Or do youn want him to get a 135th chance to play a decent game in a game where everything goes his way?

Smasha had a chat to Vickers yesterday. According to Daz, he wants to stay and where he plays next year is in the clubs hands. :thumbsu:
did he say that he is our grand final

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Smasha had a chat to Vickers yesterday. According to Daz, he wants to stay and where he plays next year is in the clubs hands. :thumbsu:

Yeh and i had a chat to santa and the easter bunny your point. Just because x says they talked to someone dont mean it happened. Lol

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Ty would do ok at the hakes because he has players around that makes up for no defensive side. Poppy, Cyril etc provide heaps of cover for the big blokes, so he could be just as lazy for them, but he would work in their structure. We don't have any where near that fwd pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back