Player Watch Tyler Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has all the key attributes, just needs to be more impactful over 4 quarters. Aside from not getting enough of the ball he has not disgraced himself like Ruscoe, Stephenson, Thomas...I say we need to patient. If he isn’t making the cut play him in the VFL...problem is we don’t have many options, so again don’t then take it out on a kid.
What key attributes are those?

What key attributes are those?
Tyler Brown? He’s got great agility for his size, good speed. He’s slightly built but goes in for the ball, courage. His kicking can improve, but it’s very solid with a good technique and will be a strength of his. I especially like his ability in traffic, gets caught sometimes at the AFL level but he’ll improve that as well, it shows great confidence to try that on. Natural footballer like his old man.

I see no fatal flaws in his game, none that can’t be ironed out. He’s a kid, some need more time than others...don’t forget also that last year was not good for development.

Tyler Brown? He’s got great agility for his size, good speed. He’s slightly built but goes in for the ball, courage. His kicking can improve, but it’s very solid with a good technique and will be a strength of his. I especially like his ability in traffic, gets caught sometimes at the AFL level but he’ll improve that as well, it shows great confidence to try that on. Natural footballer like his old man.

I see no fatal flaws in his game, none that can’t be ironed out. He’s a kid, some need more time than others...don’t forget also that last year was not good for development.
His movement in tight traffic makes me think he's well worth persisting with.
He's a work in progress, there's others I'd be targeting to drop first.

Both of the Brown brothers have showed glimpses and have genuine potential in my opinion. However, the problem with kids is that there is usually an issue with both consistency and the huge gap between their best and worst footy. They can quickly go from looking like budding champs to complete hacks, in the arena of public opinion. Both lads need to find more consistency and learn to do more when things aren't going their way, in order to narrow that gap. Both need to continue to develop on a steep upward curve and I certainly hope they do. I suspect they will both still be in and out of the side this year, as long as they keep building, they need to be consistantly best 22 by next year and beyond.

I think Tyler Brown has the potential to be one of our best kids. Maybe another season away

Those strengths are all well and good but they don’t amount to much. Cal Brown is good through traffic as well but that’s not enough to make it.

He doesn’t win allot of the ball or do anything special with it to make for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those strengths are all well and good but they don’t amount to much. Cal Brown is good through traffic as well but that’s not enough to make it.

Or they could be a sufficient base upon which both build a career. As long as they continue to play a role, they’ll continue to get that opportunity. Someone goes past them, someone goes past them. I’m not sure why people fixate so much on a players negative aspects. Both did enough to merit selection next week.

Or they could be a sufficient base upon which both build a career. As long as they continue to play a role, they’ll continue to get that opportunity. Someone goes past them, someone goes past them. I’m not sure why people fixate so much on a players negative aspects. Both did enough to merit selection next week.
Keeping Mayne out of the team, this is what you want. Kids to go over players of experience such as him.

Steady improvement. Happy with how he is tracking.
Yes, I watched the replay last night and did some clever things, both the Brown boys are smart and 'not scared players'.

I would persevere with both and the only thing I would like if they had a slightly bigger body. Time?

Yes, I watched the replay last night and did some clever things, both the Brown boys are smart and 'not scared players'.

I would persevere with both and the only thing I would like if they had a slightly bigger body. Time?

Out of the two Tyler would appear to have the most upside in large part due to his size. He has all the attributes to be a very good midfielder. Just needs a bit more meat on the bones, experience and I think most importantly confidence.

Not saying it will happen, but the potential is there to play 150-200 games.

Last edited:

Cal brown is different because he can’t kick! in both cases you are correct, however they are both young and I’ll back them to improve

Cal is in his fifth year and really needs to start having an impact in games, Tyler is in his forth year and also needs to start impacting games. The progress has been slow so far, it's like they both lack belief atm and they need to start to believe that they might actually be better than they are.

Cal is in his fifth year and really needs to start having an impact in games, Tyler is in his forth year and also needs to start impacting games. The progress has been slow so far, it's like they both lack belief atm and they need to start to believe that they might actually be better than they are.
Tyler was a late developer. Given his body, he was always gonna need a few years to develop physically. Has played less than 10 senior games. But now he has the body, He'll keep improving in games.

I agree I’m afraid. 4th and 5th year players need to be showing far more than what both of them are. It’s their surname that gives the belief, but they are a long way behind in development. 1st year kids already having bigger impacts. I want them to come on, Tyler may.. happy to say c brown won’t (and be proven wrong )

He’s beginning to show signs, but it’s that ball winning that remains lacking. Both Brown and Sier will play 10+ matches in 2021, but when are they going to become 20+ ppg locks? Brown is still only a young 21yo (22 in December) so perhaps in 15 games time it’ll be there, but for now that’s the ?...

Brown has essentially taken Daics' spot on the wing from last year. I'm happy with the positive signs he is showing but would like him to start turning that into greater output in the next month to justify him getting those minutes instead of Daics.

To a lesser extent Sier has Macrae who would love to be getting those on ball minutes. Its both Brown's and Sier's spots to lose at the moment but I'm comfortable in that we have capable replacements for both if they don't start translating their good signs into consistent 4 quarter performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back