Player Watch Tyler Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t have him ahead of any of the guys that played forward on Sunday plus HH, McInnes or Johnson because I don’t see him ever being a 1+ goal a game guy. The bolded is really the crux of it because he just doesn’t do enough.

My take on the positivity is the above expectations performance in an unfamiliar role. The thing is it’s unsustainable. You aren’t playing him in that role v anyone when we have a half fit compliment of ruckman.

I agree with pretty much all of the analysis on his game. He has some nice traits, but they count for nothing at senior level because he’s poor by position (he’s ranked below average in every statistical category for a mid). The block of consistent footy at VFL level has some merit although I’m personally at a point where the shock would be if it ever translates to consistent 20+ possession outings as a senior mid.

That’s the benchmark for every midfielder and I think he keeps getting senior time more out of the hope that it clicks plus a lack of competition than any belief that he’ll ever figure it out…
You said much the same thing about Noble.
Maybe T Brown will be the next player to prove you wrong?

Reminds me of the game Rupert Wills played second ruck. Tyler is at least better competing in the air but we’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It’s a development year and he’s earned his senior opportunities ahead of others. Happy for him to continue to get them until he’s usurped by someone offering more in the VFL. Still only 22 and with 21 senior games under his belt. Has time.

I was really focussing on inside mids in that post above

Macrae looks like an outside linker to me rather than inside, he is clean and his handball feeds are creative but he is far too passive in the contest - far more Tarkyn Lockyer or Steel Sidebottom or Patrick Lipinski than Taylor Adams

Harrison is an interesting one. I like him too, he cracks in hard and his pace is blistering, but at 178 cm he would need to be extraordinarily good to compete with beasts like the Bont, Oliver, Wines etc I see him much more as a half forward who would have occasional bursts in the middle rather than a card carrying full time midfielder

I could live with Harrison becoming a Rory Laird or Lachie Neale style midfielder rather than an inside beast to battle Bont et al….

You said much the same thing about Noble.
Maybe T Brown will be the next player to prove you wrong?
I’ve been critical of Noble, but I’ve always begrudgingly acknowledged he’s best 22 in this current Collingwood team because he does the one thing Brown can’t, find the ball. Let’s also not forget that Noble is an established senior player that was dropped 6 weeks ago so for every game we saw like Sunday we still see howlers like v WC.

It is an interesting comment though in the context of my post because trait wise Brown has everything Noble doesn’t. Traits only take you so far… A little tip for you a more accurate way to try and point score over me is Murphy. I was overly critical out of 2021 and I believe he’s now fitness away from delivering what was on offer late in 2018.

For a little further context around Brown’s ineffectiveness he ranks at 400 for possessions per game with the quality of ball winners like Flynn, Collins, Cameron and Fort ahead of him. Oh to have a surname of Brown and be 190cm+…

I’ve been critical of Noble, but I’ve always begrudgingly acknowledged he’s best 22 in this current Collingwood team because he does the one thing Brown can’t, find the ball. Let’s also not forget that Noble is an established senior player that was dropped 6 weeks ago so for every game we saw like Sunday we still see howlers like v WC.

It is an interesting comment though in the context of my post because trait wise Brown has everything Noble doesn’t. Traits only take you so far… A little tip for you a more accurate way to try and point score over me is Murphy. I was overly critical out of 2021 and I believe he’s now fitness away from delivering what was on offer late in 2018.

For a little further context around Brown’s ineffectiveness he ranks at 400 for possessions per game with the quality of ball winners like Flynn, Collins, Cameron and Fort ahead of him. Oh to have a surname of Brown and be 190cm+…
Perhaps Brown’s future lies as a forward or back. I think he will get a contract next year.

Perhaps Brown’s future lies as a forward or back. I think he will get a contract next year.
Whilst I have doubts on him as a best 22 prospect because he’s not a midfielder I do think his future is as a defender (I don’t see him moving past others as a forward) if he is to make it. I do also think he’ll get a further contract and my earlier comments were on the basis that I wouldn’t offer it. The part I’m struggling with though is that I think Callum offers more as a mid, but his time has ran out.

I think for me this narrative of “oh he’s young” or “but he’s been injured” or “he needs game time” has just worn thin. Sometimes players enter the system that just aren’t up to AFL standard.

He'll get a contract. Still young and he's still improving. I like him as a defensive prospect.
I agree.

I think sometimes supporters watch a game waiting for their least favourite player to make mistakes.

Not sure which Brown it was but he worked hard to get the ball, was about to be tackled and kicked the ball only to be marked by the opposition. However if supporters looked around, he didn't have any other option as there was no-one else clear to kick to. So either kick the ball or be pinged for holding.

Maybe they should try him half back. I'm sure he will get alot more of the easy footy. If he is still in development phase, I don't see how he is being developed. Either get him to run with someone who can find the ball or put him on the half back and let him accumulate possessions which may give him more confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll probably be here next year, but I doubt he'll make it as a forward.

Most forwards have a knack for finding the ball. If he can't find the ball in the middle of the ground, he's better off playing down back where it's more important to stop someone else.

He'll probably be here next year, but I doubt he'll make it as a forward.

Most forwards have a knack for finding the ball. If he can't find the ball in the middle of the ground, he's better off playing down back where it's more important to stop someone else.

Or we could just get a state league defender who will be better at defending than Brown...

I think he will probably get another contract, but it should be 1 year only. Tyler needs to step it up.
He just doesn’t influence a game in any way. I think he still has improvement in him, but I don’t think that he believes he really belongs at this level right now. He needs to stop watching others in the team go above & beyond & try to be that player himself.
He needs some confidence.

Ma
For me, it's that all of his stats came in the second half in a different role where he suddenly started to attack the footy consistently rather than standing around flat-footed. It was the first time that he's shown consistent intent for any length of time (other than the recent VFL games that you're talking about). And when he shows intent, he looks good.

Plus when we win, mediocre games get praised, whereas when we lose, mediocre games cop derision - it's just the way it is
Maybe he struggles with too much to think about in game plans, blocks etc.
More a see ball get ball player.
Improves when he is the main man

Ma

Agree - he’s a “point and shoot” guy.
I’d give the job on Cripps now that he has the size to match.
Just get him to do a Mick Gaffer job, nothing complicated, just reduce Cripps’ ability to influence the game.

Ma

Maybe he needs to be separated from the team prior to the game and just be let loose onto the field via another race, so the game plans etc don't enter into the equation. Just give him the 4 word 'See ball get ball!' instruction then push him on his way.

Agree - he’s a “point and shoot” guy.
I’d give the job on Cripps now that he has the size to match.
Just get him to do a Mick Gaffer job, nothing complicated, just reduce Cripps’ ability to influence the game.

Who do Melbourne play as their tagger in the midfield?

Whilst I have doubts on him as a best 22 prospect because he’s not a midfielder I do think his future is as a defender (I don’t see him moving past others as a forward) if he is to make it. I do also think he’ll get a further contract and my earlier comments were on the basis that I wouldn’t offer it. The part I’m struggling with though is that I think Callum offers more as a mid, but his time has ran out.

I think for me this narrative of “oh he’s young” or “but he’s been injured” or “he needs game time” has just worn thin. Sometimes players enter the system that just aren’t up to AFL standard.

True, and sometimes they’re just young, suffer injuries, or need continuity. Time will tell.

True, and sometimes they’re just young, suffer injuries, or need continuity. Time will tell.
Absolutely, but not in the case of Tyler who is just another Sier, Rantall, Crocker, Wills, Broomhead, Rounds, Goodyear etc. I guess in Sier’s case we at least saw a good patch of 12 weeks to justify the time wasted. He does have his surname going for him 👍

Absolutely, but not in the case of Tyler who is just another Sier, Rantall, Crocker, Wills, Broomhead, Rounds, Goodyear etc. I guess in Sier’s case we at least saw a good patch of 12 weeks to justify the time wasted. He does have his surname going for him 👍
Every mention of Sier and 'good 12 weeks' like statements brings tears to my eyes. He was no 'Rantall, Crocker, Wills, Broomhead, Rounds, Goodyear or T Brown'. Sier was Sier, though not 'is' but 'was'. Whereas Brown could be interchangeable with any one of those names in your list, vanilla players who made mere wisps of impression on the game in the short time they were allowed to be in it.

e133c9d28e4583ce4a17db8a7d3f991a

Or maybe it will be shown to be the case with Tyler. Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back