Player Watch Tyler Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

The percent is only relevant if the player is getting standard numbers of stats by position - it gives an indicator about the way they play the position. John Noble would go at 50% if he didn't run hard and well to present.

It’s an average. He’s had games where it’s higher. He’s had games where it’s lower.. His strong VFL games against the Bombers and GWS (25+ possessions) and Northern Bullants (17 possessions) would at a guess support stronger contested numbers than your predicting. We’ll see where it goes when he start getting higher possession numbers consistently at senior level.

He was subbed on in in the 3rd quarter, interesting even though he was fresh the coaches still benched him.

I think that says a lot.

He came on in the last quarter. McIness was only injured late in the third. Tyler took off the vest and was warming up at 3QT.

It’s an average. He’s had games where it’s higher. He’s had games where it’s lower.. His strong VFL games against the Bombers and GWS (25+ possessions) and Northern Bullants (17 possessions) would at a guess support stronger contested numbers than your predicting. We’ll see where it goes when he start getting higher possession numbers consistently at senior level.
I'm not predicting. I'm saying that both his contested and uncontested stats are low. That 50% isn't from him winning a good number of contests, it's from him not getting involved on the spread at all.

I remember last year a poster talking down Noble due to his contested percentage being too low and if you looked more closely at the numbers and what he was saying - Noble would have been a better prospect if he ran and presented less as he'd get less uncontested possession and thus his contested percentage would be higher. It's not a particularly useful stat, unless in context and the context of Brown is that he gets a really low number of uncontested possessions - so few when playing midfield that you'd need his contested percentage to be 80% for him to be offensively effective.

Last edited:
I'm not predicting. I'm saying that both his contested and uncontested stats are low. That 50% isn't from him winning a good number of contests, it's from him not getting involved on the spread at all.

I know what you’re saying and I repeat, you’re guessing. And yes you are predicting guessing at his contested numbers if he could spread. I’m also guessing but I’d suggest his 2x 25+ possession VFL games were also above 30% contested. At least they’re actual games I’ve watched from which to form an actual opinion rather than repeating ad nauseam purely hypothetical guesswork. I’ll leave it there because it’s a pointless tangent from the original discussion about his strength and how ridiculous a suggestion it was that his contested possession numbers demonstrate a lack thereof.

I know what you’re saying and I repeat, you’re guessing. I’m also guessing but I’d suggest his 2x 25+ possession VFL games were also above 30% contested. At least they’re actual games I’ve watched from which to form an actual opinion rather than repeating ad nauseam purely hypothetical guesswork. I’ll leave it there because it’s a pointless tangent from the original discussion about his strength and how ridiculous a suggestion it was that his contested possession numbers demonstrate a lack thereof.
I'm not guessing - I'm talking about the stats and what they are describing - something that we can all easily see. In terms of the AFL, he's getting low numbers of both contested and uncontested for someone who spends time through the midfield. His contested percentage at 50% is high - it only suggests that his ability to get the ball on the spread is relatively worse than his ability to get it in a contest. If he improves in one area and starts impacting in that area how you'd like, the percentage will change towards that area. A 50% contested possession rate for Tyler at the moment in the AFL isn't a a particularly positive stat, as it's the product of him not getting it on the spread.

My mistake then.

So being a completely fresh player, shouldn't he of played the entire 4th quarter without a break?

Dunno. He certainly should have gotten more than one touch. Just clarifying the time he came on.

Tyler just has to get his hands on the pill more often. It's that simple, if he wants a long term career. It's not as if he is playing lock down roles deep in defense.
Im afraid to say he rarely uses it well when he gets it, not to mention all the times he takes on a tackler and gets caught.
Alas, I just cant see it happening for him. When his ceiling appears to be fringe player at best, why even bother?

The percent is only relevant if the player is getting standard numbers of stats by position - it gives an indicator about the way they play the position. John Noble would go at 50% if he didn't run hard and well to present.
In Tyler’s case it just means he’s equal poor at winning the ball at the contest and on the spread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you’re saying and I repeat, you’re guessing. And yes you are predicting guessing at his contested numbers if he could spread. I’m also guessing but I’d suggest his 2x 25+ possession VFL games were also above 30% contested. At least they’re actual games I’ve watched from which to form an actual opinion rather than repeating ad nauseam purely hypothetical guesswork. I’ll leave it there because it’s a pointless tangent from the original discussion about his strength and how ridiculous a suggestion it was that his contested possession numbers demonstrate a lack thereof.
The only thing ridiculous was you bringing up his contested/uncontested ratio and pretending it was actually relevant.

Any news on Tyler Brown, not listed in the injuries, VFL or AFL sides?

If he does have glandular fever, it could be the end of the road for him. It's a long injury and it will interrupt pre-season. Stevo got it and that was the end of his time at Collingwood. Was never the same after it.
Pendles had it in his first year?
Look what happened after that.

If he does have glandular fever, it could be the end of the road for him. It's a long injury and it will interrupt pre-season. Stevo got it and that was the end of his time at Collingwood. Was never the same after it.
quaynor had it earlier this year. But I think it varies from person to person how it affects you. Some have it worse than others.

quaynor had it earlier this year. But I think it varies from person to person how it affects you. Some have it worse than others.
Quaynor was ruled out last year with it but it is promising he has rebounded.

Pendles had it in his first year?
Look what happened after that.
What is it with people at the club getting it? Pendlebury also had shown a lot more by Year 5 than Brown has. Year 5 was 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back