Tyrone Vickery's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

The two criticisms of the Tigers this year (not that they matter) is that they didn't have any support in the ruck for Nank and they didn't have a second forward target to help out Riewoldt. Caddy's numbers are nothing special but he effectively played a key forward role part of the time which was useful to the structure.

On paper Vickery is *the* player they were missing, but he is s**t and they are better off without him.

Interesting isn't it. Major criticism of the Bulldogs last year too was their key forward situation and feeling that they were maybe a tad light in the ruck. They tried to fix those issues this year and went backwards. Sometimes necessity offers up the best solutions and then reverting back to conventional wisdom you lose the strength you found, albeit by accident.

If Vickery was at the club this year you suspect Hardwick would have persisted with him, game plan never happens and who know how the season unfolds. If Deledio was fit, surely he would have been somewhere in the 22.

Deledio came in to GWS' team at about the same time as Townsend came in to Richmond's side and kept his spot. Had both been available to Richmond I think Deledio gets picked and holds his spot the whole way through.

I always said that Richmond should have played Deledio as a permanent forward. I think he could easily have performed as well as Townsend.
Whether he would have bought into the 'pressure' mindset as well is another 'who knows'?

So you expect him to demand a trade out of Hawthorn and basically walk away?

You wish.

Sigh.

ABLETT SENIOR.

Left Hawthorn because he was a lazy sod, went to Geelong who let him get away with murder. Meanwhile Hawthorn won lots of flags.

It's a new game plan and I suspect a few clubs will follow it. Much had been said about us being light on skill and it's true. But the plan works. When Nank had a rest Grigg sprinted up and down the ground exhausting Jacobs while Nank watched on. There are so many advantages to this plan exploiting the old way of thinking. We looked like we always had 20 men on the ground as our ability to cover so much ground and apply pressure was elite. I would love to see two teams playing this game style in a granny. It would be brutal. I suspect Ross Lyon will implement his own version of this. He looked very intrigued on Saturday. As for Vicks and Lids, hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Tyrone couldn't break into a team that came 12th with a massive injury list. How in hell would he have got a run in the team that came second on the ladder with no injuries?

Take out Caddy from Richmond and add Dandegfield for Adelaide and the results might be a lot different (after all Caddy was only bumped to make room for Paddy)

Tigers fans should be thanking the Cats for their recruiting

As for Vickery, I woudl have though engaging Jake King to settle a business dispute is his biggest regret of 2017

It now needs to be asked whether Tyrone Vickery would be regretting his decision to leave Richmond.

He could have stayed at Richmond and been part of a historic premiership, instead he opted to leave the club for more money and is now plying his trade at Box Hill.

Do you think that Vickery is regretting his decision?
Shitty Troll even though many are getting sucked in. Or maybe you're 10 years old and your janitor dad helped you write this stupid thread. Go back to work Dad

Is this the same Tyrone Vickery that got dropped twice late last year whilst Richmond was playing crap and trying a bunch of kids? His papers were stamped last year and Richmond was going to delist him or trade him for anything. Like guys like Morris and Hunt, Hardwick eventually figured out that this guy wasn't very good. I mean the club has played two first rounders (Lennon and Ellis) in the seconds almost all year because they don't think they're ready for AFL footy, it's Hardwick finally making hard calls like this which has allowed the team to get better. I seriously doubt he'd get a game this year.

If anything, Vickery should feel regretful for not applying himself better when he was at the tigers. Although I reckon we stuffed him up by trying to make him a forward when he was a ruckman.

It's a new game plan and I suspect a few clubs will follow it. Much had been said about us being light on skill and it's true. But the plan works. When Nank had a rest Grigg sprinted up and down the ground exhausting Jacobs while Nank watched on. There are so many advantages to this plan exploiting the old way of thinking. We looked like we always had 20 men on the ground as our ability to cover so much ground and apply pressure was elite. I would love to see two teams playing this game style in a granny. It would be brutal. I suspect Ross Lyon will implement his own version of this. He looked very intrigued on Saturday. As for Vicks and Lids, hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

It's not that new a game-plan - very similar to Collingwood 2010-11 and Fremantle 2013-14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this mean that Richmond should build a statue of Vickery at Punt Road, given that his decision to leave Richmond was the indirect cause to them winning the premiership?
Does this mean that Richmond should build a statue of Vickery at Punt Road, given that his decision to leave Richmond was the indirect cause to them winning the premiership?
images (15).jpg

Interesting isn't it. Major criticism of the Bulldogs last year too was their key forward situation and feeling that they were maybe a tad light in the ruck. They tried to fix those issues this year and went backwards. Sometimes necessity offers up the best solutions and then reverting back to conventional wisdom you lose the strength you found, albeit by accident.

If Vickery was at the club this year you suspect Hardwick would have persisted with him, game plan never happens and who know how the season unfolds. If Deledio was fit, surely he would have been somewhere in the 22.
A fair point - Dogs rested Boyd there when he wasn't in the ruck and played Cordy as a decoy. The other forwards were small.

Richmond tried all of Hampson, Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickey in various formation and they looked slow.

Meanwhile Sydney and Adelaide went in with much vaunted key forwards who didn't deliver. Could just be a short trend but right now you'd have to say key forwards aren't critical to winning a flag.

Last edited:

I say yes.

At least the birds could have a shitting target and leave the Jack Dyer statue alone.

He's the unsung hero of this premiership. Little did he know he was creating a premiership winning game plan for his ex club when he arrived at Hawthorn.

I'm sort of joking but you do have to feel sorry for players who leave the year before a premiership.

Vickery wouldnt have got a game, and if he did, we wouldn't have won the flag.

Vickery is a horrible presence and a drain on a club. The Hawks need to get rid of him quickly.

Vickery was best 22 at Richmond when he left, and there was a big hole left in Richmond's forward line as a result of his departure.

Hardwick tried to fill the hole with Griffiths, but Griffiths was injured in round 2 and wasn't seen again this year, Hampson was injured all year and didn't play a game, and Ivan Soldo was tried and tested but that experiment didn't work out.

A fit Deledio would get games ahead of few Tigers players such as Jack Graham or Nathan Broad in defense. Possibly Jacob Townsend.
True he'd get picked, then stink it up. He wasn't a tiger in his last year he was he he wasn't a tiger, fully glad he was gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back