Coach Tyson Goldsack - Defensive Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like the sack. He came back after 5 months from an acl to play the final series for Collingwood which almost ended in a flag. He doesn't seem like the type of person to just flow through 2021 without trying to make the afl side. Apparently he was very popular and respected at Collingwood. I wouldnt be writing him off as a token soft cap selection.

That's if he can stay on the park and play an entire season with notable form. He had recurring injuries that limited his games played to just 4 in 2018 and I think he was nowhere to be seen in 2019 either with injury issues. No games played in 2020 and turning 34 early 2021, if he gets to complete the entire season I'll be surprised.

I didn't realise he was nursing injuries. We must be confident that he can go the distance. He has had some time to get over his injuries so hopefully he will survive. It is probably only going to be for one year anyway.

Goldsack didn't have recurring injuries in 2018. He did his acl in March. I think he played two vfl matches and Collingwood rushed him back for the finals. He's meant to be a very motivated and funny guy.

Former Collingwood player Tyson Goldsack was at Alberton today and according to 9 news confirmed in a development role at Port Adelaide.

Also officially named as Port Magpies' marquee player.

Reading that first tweet when I clicked on the thread, I thought so Goldsack is an AFL premiership player now on our coaching staff, as is Monty, Schoey, Chad, Broges until he got the Covid cut, and Voss. There are two odd men out on our coaching panel.

CD characteristically to the point here:

Davies: Goldsack has an important role in our development program

Davies explained the decision to add the 33-year-old to the list.

“We’ve taken enough players over the last three or four years who are young and developing and we felt like to add another player who can help to develop those guys, not only during the week but also on the weekend at SANFL level was important,” he said.

“Tyson will help us win at SANFL level but will also be a fantastic teacher for a group of players who as I say, we have some high hopes for in terms of their development.

“I don’t think he’ll play at AFL level. We’ve picked him to do a job for us in regard to our development program and that’s equally as important.”

Davies said the club had to contemplate the SANFL’s new rules regarding how Port and Adelaide make up their playing lists, and there was no hiding from the fact that there was a financial benefit with regard to the soft cap by having Goldsack play dual playing and coaching roles.

But he said fast tracking the development of the club’s talented young group was the primary consideration.

“We thought getting Cam Sutcliffe back to form that partnership with Goldy was going to be important for our long-term list development so I’m not hiding from the fact that Goldy’s got a role to play,” Davies said.

Tyson must be an impressive bloke off field for Port to go to the trouble.
As soon as he talked about moving to Adelaide with his partner after he retired from Collingwood he seemed destined to end up doing something at Port as opposed to the other mob, good character and instantly liked by all seems the vibe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIVAL clubs will be watching the Tyson Goldsack 'experiment' closely this year. Signed as a development coach by Port Adelaide at the start of 2020 with the view to playing SANFL, the Collingwood premiership player will continue in the same role this season.

The only difference in 2021 will be that Goldsack is on the Power's playing list and eligible for AFL selection after being taken at pick No.16 in December's NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Given the reduction of the soft cap for football department staff by around 30 per cent – including coaches – the move allows Goldsack's wage to be consumed as a player and opens up off-field spending elsewhere. The club's salary cap flexibility (built off several years of underspend), combined with the progression of the playing list and less need for a developmental player, left a spot for the 33-year-old.

Throw in the SANFL rule which states the Power and Crows can only field one ex-AFL player outside their AFL playing list (former Power and Dockers midfielder Cam Sutcliffe holds that title this year), it allows Goldsack to continue his hands-on role at reserves level.

And it could become adopted by other AFL clubs to host development coaches fresh out of the game while saving on the heavily reduced soft cap.

"I'm still predominantly a development coach first and foremost," Goldsack told AFL.com.au.

"We've been pretty open about it, I am a coach first and foremost and if it ends up me playing AFL, I think we've had a really, really bad run of injuries, let's just say that. "I don't want it to be seen to be taking the piss of the rookie spot because I think I'm still at a level where I can compete and I don't think we should be signing up 45-year-olds on a rookie spot, that takes away from it a bit.

"And if there's a rule in place in the local league (SANFL) that would've otherwise stopped me from being able to play, then I think we're better for it. "We might see it more often (around the AFL), we might be even be seeing it now without the official title as a 'coach' and we might not know until the season rolls around. "

"We know I probably can't get to 100 per cent fitness but what I can get to is a level fit enough to be quite competitive at the Maggies (Port Adelaide Magpies SANFL) level.

"If you can have someone out there who can see the game, see things happening and give that feedback straight away, we think that's a pretty good development tool to have."

And as for how much training he's actually done this pre-season? "I'm here every day we're training and I'm joining in 80-90 per cent of training some days and the 10 per cent I miss is the running and conditioning block," Goldsack said. "The red coaches' top comes on pretty quickly once they start that. I don't need to be out there taking the spot of a young bloke (in a drill) who would otherwise be standing on the sidelines."

The Power have one spot open for this year's Mid-Season Draft left over from last year's Rookie Draft and don't intend to use it in the pre-season supplemental period up to March.

Instead, expect the Power to land a mature option in the June intake to play a role immediately in the back half of the year in what they hope is a tilt at a premiership.

[Wouldn't be surprised if we take a mature player just to play in the SANFL and piss them off further and to join Goldsack and Sutcliffe. We will be gunning for a SANFL flag if the list stays healthy and we don't have to use many top up players for too many games.]

RIVAL clubs will be watching the Tyson Goldsack 'experiment' closely this year.

Signed as a development coach by Port Adelaide at the start of 2020 with the view to playing SANFL, the Collingwood premiership player will continue in the same role this season.

The only difference in 2021 will be that Goldsack is on the Power's playing list and eligible for AFL selection after being taken at pick No.16 in December's NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Given the reduction of the soft cap for football department staff by around 30 per cent – including coaches – the move allows Goldsack's wage to be consumed as a player and opens up off-field spending elsewhere.

RIVAL clubs will be watching the Tyson Goldsack 'experiment' closely this year.

Signed as a development coach by Port Adelaide at the start of 2020 with the view to playing SANFL, the Collingwood premiership player will continue in the same role this season.

Given the reduction of the soft cap for football department staff by around 30 per cent – including coaches – the move allows Goldsack's wage to be consumed as a player and opens up off-field spending elsewhere.

The Power have one spot open for this year's Mid-Season Draft left over from last year's Rookie Draft and don't intend to use it in the pre-season supplemental period up to March.

Instead, expect the Power to land a mature option in the June intake to play a role immediately in the back half of the year .........

So a mature defender then?

Just putting this quote here. He's pretty much finished his season with a broken toe. Probably unlikely to be an SANFL listed player next season.
In his interview today Goldsack said he won't play this week and also mentioned it as a potential 'farewell game' if he was going to play. Not surprising but seems to confirm he won't play next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back