Toast Tyson Goldsack - Hung Up His Boots, (27/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

SV unless we pull Corey Enright out of retirement in a reenactment of the fine cotton affair Matthew ain't going to be the answer.
What higher levels of talent are you fantasising about? Shaz albeit due to a large amount of bad luck has not dominated a game of football in the last 6 years.
He is 5 yeArs into the system and has been named in vfl best players on a handful of occasions , and has failed at afl level
Are you still using Mark Williams description of him as an under 16 great as a crutch for hope?
I am trying to help you move on.
Respectfully yours
Northpie you may very well be right.
But whilst he's on the list, I'm of the view upside is there with one key word, hopefully.

But whilst someone's on the list, I just can't write them off, particularly when injury plagued.
As he was an elite junior, that's not in doubt, as he's had injuries, he deserves every opportunity to advance via slow steady work.

If it doesn't work out, so be it, but on his work ethic I'm prepared to be patient.

What mark Williams says about the young man, or about Clarkson coaching, or about Allan Scott or about the afl being wrong is neither here nor there for me.

So to sum up, patience grasshopper. :)

Ps I've been wrong many times before but sometimes I get it right

SV unless we pull Corey Enright out of retirement in a reenactment of the fine cotton affair Matthew ain't going to be the answer.
What higher levels of talent are you fantasising about? Shaz albeit due to a large amount of bad luck has not dominated a game of football in the last 6 years.
He is 5 yeArs into the system and has been named in vfl best players on a handful of occasions , and has failed at afl level
Are you still using Mark Williams description of him as an under 16 great as a crutch for hope?
I am trying to help you move on.
Respectfully yours

I'll take your view on though. The blokes 8 weeks into match play following a second knee reconstruction he will come on markedly as time goes by because his ability to read the play has not diminished in the slightest. The perfect example for me is Dylan Roberton who is blitzing currently, but has taken many a year to hit his stride (8th season in the system and only just cracked 100 matches).

I also think it's harsh to tack extra time onto his career at the club. We're only 6 weeks into his 4th season with the club and he only has 25-30 matches under his belt to this point. It's a far cry from his "5 years in the system" I understand your hesitancy to buy in given his lack of continuity. That said it's nowhere near as black and white as you suggest and despite my many criticisms of the coaching group they're playing things perfectly with Scharenberg currently. They have lost no faith in him and neither should we at this time.

FWIW I suggest you head out to a few VFL games to see what he is and isn't doing currently in the way he plays.

Love Goldsack passion he plays with. Has a moment or to in a game, but who does notf
Howe been so good, but goldy been next in reliability down back. Have a good year so far

Just need to forgive the errors. People calling for Goldy to be dropped dont really see what he does that is good. Having a great season. If a defender goes out this week it will be Schade not Goldsack.

Goldy is having a very good season and I doubt he is at all in discussion of who to drop this week. His full preseason is reaping benefits. He is strong and fast but his biggest value is he combines this with an appetite for the defensive contest. Very few do that. Its a trait I have always admired. In my day I wasn't a bad winger, half forward, rover with plenty of speed. Like the type I was I grew another leg when a goal was on offer. The chase down from behind was less of a specialty. For some strange reason I couldn't conjure the same speed.

Goldy does and there was a great example on Sunday, think it was Darcy Lang goal in the 3rd Q. Goldsack tore into the contest near the wing when Geelong were streaming forward, didnt get there but just ran to the next contest like a maniac, influenced it but they still goaled. It was a great illustration of the aggression and desire Goldy brings to attacking defensive situations. Loved playing with guys like that cause they lift the effort around them. He does fumble too much but the defensive intent is rare and valuable.

Actually sideswipe he is giving himself a wrap whilst feigning false modesty
a bit of head wobbling never hurts from time to time

Goldy does and there was a great example on Sunday, think it was Darcy Lang goal in the 3rd Q. Goldsack tore into the contest near the wing when Geelong were streaming forward, didnt get there but just ran to the next contest like a maniac, influenced it but they still goaled. It was a great illustration of the aggression and desire Goldy brings to attacking defensive situations. Loved playing with guys like that cause they lift the effort around them. He does fumble too much but the defensive intent is rare and valuable.

I saw that effort as well and was impressed. Despite his obvious weaknesses Goldy is an important element in our defence and will most likely remain so for some time to come. People underestimate his contribution because he fumbles more than your average AFL player should.

Actually sideswipe he is giving himself a wrap whilst feigning false modesty
In today's language (cute that someone still says rover), he has described himself as an outside mid/opportunist small forward who delivered no forward pressure. Downhill skier who kept his doctor hands safe from being damaged by hard balls.

In today's language (cute that someone still says rover), he has described himself as an outside mid/opportunist small forward who delivered no forward pressure. Downhill skier who kept his doctor hands safe from being damaged by hard balls.

My husband still describes himself as a 'centreman'.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still loving the pressure he applies and how he gets to contests to impact what might be a straightforward opposition possession from distances few other players would make the effort from.

He must have worked on the theory, it's all in the delivery

I will admit that I thought Goldy was nearly done and nothing more than back up but really happy to be wrong about this one.
Last few years he looked cumbersome and a step off the pace but that speed off the mark and agility seems to have come back and he is playing stellar football at the moment and I couldn't be happier for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back